Thread: Blackjack grunt

VIP Member

Blackjack grunt

http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/blackjackknives.htm

Bought this recently
    Admittedly it was a bit of a gamble but I've got to admit , I think it's a pretty nifty bit of kit for the money,

Grip:
    now..... This is quite simply one of the best grips I've ever handled, it has the same feel to it as a gerber gator. I've got quite small hands and it is on the large side so plenty of scope for those with large hands, I use it in the garden and I was planting out some stuff, it got proper muddy and wet and the grip remained good. The grip has a built in guard type thing and also has a flare at the bottom of the grip meaning your hand sits securely where it's meant to. This is important but it also allows you to choke up and there is space before the cutting edge to do so for detailed cutting.
    With the choking capability it's a shame there is no jimping on the top of the blade, a little touch that some may argue is pointless but I would welcome.

Sharpness out of box:

Could not believe it, the edge is convex, slightly off perfectly symmetrical but hey .....it's so sharp I was genuinely shocked. This is mass produced in china shockingly sharp.

Blade shape etc.

So much belly , the blade is very thick, can't measure it but trust me it's heavy weight.
    It's has a lot of belly which makes it very slicy considering the imense thinkness of the blade.
    As mentioned it's a convex edge which is very nicely and gradually done (although as mentioned above slightly uneven, when I say uneven , it looks even when you look at the blade in profile on both sides, however when you look down the blade one side in more gradual and one side is more acute)
    It's a very useful shape in my opinion, it's heavy enough to chop and still useful for cutting.

Performance:

Ive done some very basic tests with it. I've got some old solid wood kitchen top,
    If done some very aggressive stabbing into it , once in good and deep I then did what I suppose is a latteral prying motion repetitively to test tip strength. Now this wood is very tight grain and pretty hard. The knife penetrated well and upon prying it tore wood out from deep within. I did this over and over with not a single hint of blade damage or warping.

Cutting test, only thing I've done is test initial sharpness on paper (like butter)
    I've also cut rope and paracord which it went through with little effort and no issues.

Chopping, tested it on the hard wood kitchen top again. This knife is like a mini hand axe- when cutting into an edge it literally shears about an inch maybe a bit more. This would easily manage battoning and the moulded on grip gives me confidence that the structural integrity would remain sound.

After use described the knife edge had held up very well considering the hardness of the wood I was chopping and stabbing etc. Literally a few passes on the strop and it was back pretty much to the edge provided by the factory.

I've got to say, for the money this knife is pretty remarkable. For me it fits my slightly tacticool preferences, it's very very easy to sharpen on a strop but in a survival situation you could just use your belt? The handle is moulded straight onto the blade meaning there is no chance of internal rust.

Got to say, I'm a fan, I think many would be impressed.

One downside,
    Although the sheath is functional it's horrid, not sure if I'm gonna bother replacing it as it's my garden knife but if it were going to be my end of the world knife I'd get something more like a spec ops sheath for it

Hope this helps any perspective buyers etc

Thanks if you read this far
    Chris
    "Hi, I'm chris and I'm a Knifeaholic"
    " Thanks for sharing chris"

Re: Blackjack grunt

Cheers Chris
    I can remember drooling over the Mamba as a much younger man never able to afford one but have always liked Blackjack knives I may have to stick this puppy on my shopping list

VIP Member

Don't think you would regret it, I've got a model 125 blackjack on order as my smart fixed blade this one is my roughing it knife it's really good

VIP Member

Nice, looks like a possible hidden gem for the money

VIP Member

A true convex edge will have that effect on you.

These come from the 'International' line at BlackJack and are not a patch on the 'Classic' line tool steel hand made ones that are produced by Mike Stewart's crew at Bark River.

Look out for the new Tac Ops range they look really interesting...

VIP Member

The classic line are amazing from what I've seen , got the 125 on order in green micarta and will be ordering the model 12 boot knife as I think it looks like an incredibly useful little fixed blade, those new tac ones look good but don't entirely do it for me (I know it's tactical and I don't like it ) I can't believe it either !!!

VIP Member

I have an original Seki made Grunt, a real workhorse of a knife and gives a lovely ringing sound if you flick the blade.

i have a blackjack annaconda 3.. i love it... i agree with every thing said so far about black jack edges...
    pumpkin positive.....

http://tomfrost.mybrute.com

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by topheronetwoo View Post
    The classic line are amazing from what I've seen , got the 125 on order in green micarta and will be ordering the model 12 boot knife as I think it looks like an incredibly useful little fixed blade, those new tac ones look good but don't entirely do it for me (I know it's tactical and I don't like it ) I can't believe it either !!!
    will be interested to hear about the 12 - nearly bit myself but was worried the handle was a bit small - would have also prefered if it had a half guard
    Mess with nature at your peril for you are small and biodegradable

Thread Information