Gränsfors axe steel specification? Heat treating required.

Hi, A friend of mine (really, it wasn't me!) left his Gränsfors axe in a bonfire and didn't discover his mistake until he was raking over the ashes and found the head! He has asked me to heat treat it for him and I wondered if anyone has done this before (the heat treating, not the burning)?

Anyone got any advice or know the steel spec they use?

Thanks,

Richard

Re: Gränsfors axe steel specification? Heat treating required.

Have no idea about steel composition (usually it only says "swedish steel") but I would try one of those solutions:
    1. land an email to GB and explain the situation, maybe they will help or
    2. try heat treating it like normal spring/tool steel, heating it a little above nonmagnetic, then quench in warm oil. Maybe you won't get the same result as a factory hardened GB, but you still have a usable axe.
    Hope it helps

Have you tested the hardness with a file to see if the temper has been ruined ?

Thanks for the info! I should have gone to the GB website first. They have descriptions of the various processes they put the axes through and this is an extract:

"After the forging and the first step of sharpening the edge, the lower part of the axe head, the blade, is tempered by warming it to 820°C followed by a quick cooling in cold running water. Then the axe head is annealed: kept for 60 minutes in an oven that is 195°C. This relieves the stress in the steel, built up by the forging and tempering processes and gives the bit the desired hardness and toughness. The hardness of the bit is measured, 57 Rockwell C, and enery single head is tested by a smith who, with a big hammer, strikes on the edge’s corners. If the blade does not break the head is good."

Sounds simple enough!

Thanks again,

Richard

Maker

Gransfors steel does not have a grade number, it is a proprietary steel made for them.
    It is a plain carbon steel very close to 1055 or EN9, for sure 0.55% Carbon.
    I have this info straight from Gransfors.

As you mentioned, according to their own axe book, they harden the steel at 820, water quench and temper at 190 for 1 hour.

BTW... Depending on the heat/size of the fire, it might have got too hot, if it was up to orange heat, you might have to normalise the steel to repair the grain....if...

Good luck

CG

Quote Originally Posted by Calontan View Post
    Thanks for the info! I should have gone to the GB website first. They have descriptions of the various processes they put the axes through and this is an extract:

"After the forging and the first step of sharpening the edge, the lower part of the axe head, the blade, is tempered by warming it to 820°C followed by a quick cooling in cold running water. Then the axe head is annealed: kept for 60 minutes in an oven that is 195°C. This relieves the stress in the steel, built up by the forging and tempering processes and gives the bit the desired hardness and toughness. The hardness of the bit is measured, 57 Rockwell C, and enery single head is tested by a smith who, with a big hammer, strikes on the edge’s corners. If the blade does not break the head is good."

Sounds simple enough!

Thanks again,

Richard
    Last edited by Chris Grant; 02-05-12 at 02:09 PM.

Follow me on Facebook

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." Christopher Reeve
    "Im just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe" Jango Fett

I would anneal the head before any heat treating, just to be sure that you aren't going to induce more internal stresses than you need to.

Dave
    "Notification Alert: Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas, oil, as well as current market conditions, The Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience." - Anonymous.

"Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to their own facts.''

Ooops, double post.

Dave
    "Notification Alert: Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas, oil, as well as current market conditions, The Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience." - Anonymous.

"Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to their own facts.''

Offt. I bet he was a happy chappy.

There is a youtube video from the GB guys making an axe. They seem to dip it in oil if I recall.

Though that may have been a different steel.

Best of luck with the HT.

Let us know how it goes.

Andy
    Screech wanted - any flavour! - pm me
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. Chinese Proverb

Why not send it back to GB...?! They'll be able to fix

Thanks for all the information.

I 'annealed' it first by putting it into my forge when I'd finished for the day & covering with coke. It cools very slowly so should be OK.

The next day I heated it up to orange-red along the blade edge and quenched in water. It seemed plenty hard enough along the blade and took an edge well.

He has it back now so I'll wait to hear how durable it is.

Thanks again,

Richard

VIP Member

G.B are really helpful, I visited them a few years back on the way back from the nordcap, they showed me around proudly, even though not really open for tours at the time and happily re-furbed my axe and gave me a new sheath. Maybe they felt sorry for how stupid I looked when I showed them the axe..... After a bottle of port I stowed the axe safely in to a log....without taking the sheath off! What an idiot.....and after knowing this they still let me chuck about a huge double headed throwing axe at a target. Brilliant fun!

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calontan View Post
    Hi, A friend of mine (really, it wasn't me!) left his Gränsfors axe in a bonfire and didn't discover his mistake until he was raking over the ashes and found the head! He has asked me to heat treat it for him and I wondered if anyone has done this before (the heat treating, not the burning)?

Anyone got any advice or know the steel spec they use?

Thanks,

Richard

This may or may not be useful....

http://youtu.be/dbCpDsxUHVc
    If you have OCD and ADHD, everything has to be perfect, but not for very long.

Thread Information