Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RIP Maarten

Paramilitary 1 versus Paramilitary 2

Always been a big fan of the Paramillie 1 and it is the folder I carry the most often.
    Having been wondering about the Paramillie 2, I decided to act on the BB credo "if in doubt, buy them both" and got myself a Paramillie 2.
    I like the bigger blade on the 2 and jimping is over a longer area and works better. The multiple options for the clip were not an added benefit for me as I like the tip down configuration on the original well enough. The 2 has skeletonised liners on both sides and in particular where it sandwiches the pivot area. I don't know if that makes that much of a difference, but it would seem to be the sturdier construction between the two models. The 2 has a recessed pivot pin, a bigger lanyard hole and is altogether more rounded off than the 1.
    I also like the clip better on the 2. It isn't so big and it mounts slightly higher up the scales so it rides in your pocket deeper.
    For handle comfort, my vote goes to the 1. The newer Paramillie looks nicer but the bigger back end on the original provides a better grip in my opinion.
    Both are excellent folders and to me the only Spyderco model that continues to collect lint in my pockets!
    The beat-up looking one is the original Paramillie, in all pictures but the last, it is the bottom one of the two.

Re: Paramilitary 1 versus Paramilitary 2

Great knives both of them in all their simplicity.
    Were I in a position to choose, Id go with the PMII for the same reason as you stated above. Longer blade, more jimping.
    But dang, I positively loathe the screws on both clips - could they possibly have found smaller screws! I doubt it!
    They look even smaller on the PMII. I wish theyd go with something bigger and a more sturdy solution.
    Last edited by BladeScout; 29-04-12 at 01:15 PM.

Thank you for the comparsion review Nightfly. At present I own a para 2 and think its a great knife . Ravon

I have a mk1 in D2 CPM and it has lots of gimping, top and bottom., identical to the mk2.

I like it. I did have a polished edge on it but it cuts better with a DC4 edge on it and that's probably the steel.
    "If everything feels under control then you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

VIP Member

I've also got a mk1 in CPM D2. The irony for me is that I was never intending to to use it, bits of it were destined for a lego style pimping project. It's so good to use that I can't bring myself to do it.

Thanks for the comparison. I'd wondered how they differed and how the mk2 could actually improve on the original.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts
    - The Masao

VIP Member

I got my digi camo para 2 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it.

The compression lock is the star for me love it's placement and it's flickability so addictive. The size of it is perfect although I do wish it had the wire clip, after EDCing ukpks for the past few years I have grown so accustomed to them that any other clip carries to high and is so obtrusive.
    I remedied that by just removing the clip and just carry it loose.
    I prefer the black furniture and the flush fitting torx on the 2, they did a really good job of listening to people's gripes and addressing the problems.
    Yet another reason to love spyderco...

I've had a Para 2 for a while now, but only recently picked up a Para 1, to see what the fuss was about. I must say, I quite like the original. The access to the lock is a little larger, and I find the action smoother on the Para 1. The Para 2 seems to have a stronger detent. The handle also fits me well on the Para 1, plus mine has the full jimping, which I also like. If there was a better clip on the original, I'd definitely prefer it. Right now, they're close and I'm happy I went with the BB motto of getting both.

VIP Member

You are right. They are both good knives. The old Para is a great one, though. I kind of wish the makeover had preserved more of the cramped up gruntiness of the original, as well as it's size. But one can hardly complain at the Para2

VIP Member

Have you tried Sugru on the handles?
    I've used it on a few knives now and made a real custom grip
    Ruin is the Devil's work, consecutive and slow
    Fail in a moment no man did
    - Gwyneth Jones

Trader

I love the size of the P'Mili but find the compression lock a bit odd. Perhaps if I used one regularly I would find it easier but when I've had a play, I just find it a bit awkward compared to frame, axis, etc.

Want to pick up a PM2 sometime, looks like the perfect pocket knife for me...

How's the blade retention?

RIP Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I love the size of the P'Mili but find the compression lock a bit odd. Perhaps if I used one regularly I would find it easier but when I've had a play, I just find it a bit awkward compared to frame, axis, etc.
    I thought so too when I first handled one. But once you are used to it, it is very convenient.

VIP Member

The lock holds the blade in place with a firm detent if you release the lock whilst holding the knife vertically the blade will drop out under it's own weight.
    I have to say I'm a big fan of this blade it is fast becoming a firm favourite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrockrat View Post
    The lock holds the blade in place with a firm detent if you release the lock whilst holding the knife vertically the blade will drop out under it's own weight.
    I have to say I'm a big fan of this blade it is fast becoming a firm favourite of mine.
    Hmmm sounds good
    I've recently become worried about that "gravity knife" thing, that's why I was asking
    Don't want a folder that can be flicked out by wrist only...

Just picked up a Paramilitary in CPM D2. Hope it's as good as they say.
    Should have it in a week.

Thread Information