Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A Cougar Tale BC Canada (picture heavy)

Good story - great dog, I bet she could have just turned and outrun the cougar (afaik, the cats are only good for a short sprint), sounds like she really was protecting you, playing with it and drawing it away until it was exhausted.

If you had a gun, would you have dared a shot, with your dog jinking and ducking around? Not sure I would.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    Wow! If only they would re-introduce bears and wolves into Scotland, maybe my walks could be that interesting/dangerous. Be a lot less ramblers though.
    - yep, ramblers can be tasty

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharly View Post
    Good story - great dog, I bet she could have just turned and outrun the cougar (afaik, the cats are only good for a short sprint), sounds like she really was protecting you, playing with it and drawing it away until it was exhausted.

If you had a gun, would you have dared a shot, with your dog jinking and ducking around? Not sure I would.
    .........she is just wonderful

...........a real live wire, clever dog..........Dan's mate
    Last edited by Chui; 01-05-12 at 02:05 PM.
    I love not Man the less, but Nature more

It's not the years in our life that matter.......it's the life in our years

VIP Member

lovely looking dog there, is it an alaskan malamute?

VIP Member

- sucked a bit more detail from one pic

.......great muscle formation on the shoulder
    I love not Man the less, but Nature more

It's not the years in our life that matter.......it's the life in our years

Quote Originally Posted by Chui View Post
    Hmm, a handgun on a cougar I once met an American who boasted he hunted cougars with handguns.........I nearly took his head off there n then. Least said.......
    I read the above comment, which was an answer to my post....
    ....then I read it again.
    I still dont have any notion of what you are on about, Chui Do you?
    This post is about a man and his dog getting 'jumped' by a Mountain Lion. Were I to defend myself or potentially try to save the remaining shreds of dog, I would use what ever tool possible to kill the predator stone cold dead. I could care less, if if was a rifle, a handgun, a sharp piece of rock or a Weed Whacker.
    I would just try to ventilate that critter and make as many new body cavities in it as fast as possible, were it to attack me or my dog.
    What on earth do have against shooting the Cougar with a handgun in that situation?
    I hope nothing and that it was just the hunting of Cougars with handguns, which you for some unfathomable reason harboured animosity against and which you mixed in with a self defence kind of post.

As for different names for the kitty: The cougar holds the Guinness record for the animal with the highest number of names, presumably due to its wide distribution across North and South America. It has over 40 names in English alone.

--------------

As for hunting, the Cougar or Mountain Lion as its also called (though its closer related to the domestic feline than to the Lion), is not exactly threathened by emminent extincion (at least not what species of Cougar remains). Its listed as 'least concern.'
    People in North America hunt it and its in fact in some states considered a pest - a threat to livestock.
    As long as the animal doesnt suffer, I can not see the difference in shooting it with a rifle or a handgun or a bow for that matter.
    You can get excellent hunting revolvers, which are perfect for hunting Cougar, as they are nice to aim with their six to eight inch barrels, low power scopes. Further more, a handgun is light weight and easier to carry when laboriously working ones way through the Mountain Lions rocky habitats.
    At the distances of shooting Cougars, a large caliber hunting revolver is just as fine to use as a rifle.

Plenty of people hunting them with revolvers, bows, rifles etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-oS...feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXiazZ-nAo

Very nice pictures of Libby Chui,Thanks for posting them
    As pointed out Libby and cougar did move off pretty quickly.
    I never carry a gun or even pepper spray when out.
    Large predators do live in the environment I travel So far never worry about it too much
    I do believe the dog had my back that day and likely most days.Would love to have a dogs nose for a day
    Thanks Chui for cleaning up the photo.Im such a dismal photographer unlike yourself.Glad though I did have it and able to share the pictures with yous and some other forums I visit
    Here is a picture taken last spring of a grizzly bear.Around 400 yards off, in the centre out around 4 oclock from that elongated bush Hes feeding on new spring growth

Thanks for the comments.
    The snow is going fast here Time to start the search again for that Steam donkey I been looking for for the past few years

VIP Member

Awesome. Was in Vancouver island about 9 years ago loved it , went w w rafting and had an bear , forget which time get up on his hind legs as we went passed hoping he didn't have a taste for Englishmen. Coolest place I've ever been.

Really can't believe you stuck around for photos , great dog , you owe him one me thinks
    Thanks for the pics and the story
    "Hi, I'm chris and I'm a Knifeaholic"
    " Thanks for sharing chris"

VIP Member

Awesome story and great to see the pictures! Dan you are lucky to live in such a place.

RIP Maarten

Quote Originally Posted by BladeScout View Post
    I read the above comment, which was an answer to my post....
    ....then I read it again.
    I still dont have any notion of what you are on about, Chui Do you?
    This post is about a man and his dog getting 'jumped' by a Mountain Lion. Were I to defend myself or potentially try to save the remaining shreds of dog, I would use what ever tool possible to kill the predator stone cold dead. I could care less, if if was a rifle, a handgun, a sharp piece of rock or a Weed Whacker.
    I would just try to ventilate that critter and make as many new body cavities in it as fast as possible, were it to attack me or my dog.
    What on earth do have against shooting the Cougar with a handgun in that situation?
    I hope nothing and that it was just the hunting of Cougars with handguns, which you for some unfathomable reason harboured animosity against and which you mixed in with a self defence kind of post.

As for different names for the kitty: The cougar holds the Guinness record for the animal with the highest number of names, presumably due to its wide distribution across North and South America. It has over 40 names in English alone.

--------------

As for hunting, the Cougar or Mountain Lion as its also called (though its closer related to the domestic feline than to the Lion), is not exactly threathened by emminent extincion (at least not what species of Cougar remains). Its listed as 'least concern.'
    People in North America hunt it and its in fact in some states considered a pest - a threat to livestock.
    As long as the animal doesnt suffer, I can not see the difference in shooting it with a rifle or a handgun or a bow for that matter.
    You can get excellent hunting revolvers, which are perfect for hunting Cougar, as they are nice to aim with their six to eight inch barrels, low power scopes. Further more, a handgun is light weight and easier to carry when laboriously working ones way through the Mountain Lions rocky habitats.
    At the distances of shooting Cougars, a large caliber hunting revolver is just as fine to use as a rifle.

Plenty of people hunting them with revolvers, bows, rifles etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-oS...feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXiazZ-nAo
    I think what Chui is getting at is that there are people who carry a handgun for protection against predators, and people that carry a handgun to kill predators for 'sport'

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    Wow! If only they would re-introduce bears and wolves into Scotland, maybe my walks could be that interesting/dangerous. Be a lot less ramblers though.
    Lots of bear poos with Craghoppers labels though.
    Ian.
    Previously known as Seagull1957
    www.oldoakknives.com

Trader

An Excellent Story and a most excellent Dog ,You must be very proud to have a faithful fearless companion .

The shot of the Cougar in the tree with the glowing eyes reallly reminds Me of the Predator films .
    I make knives and sheaths My way , heres my Blog http://ru-titley-knives.tumblr.com/

Thread Information