Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Maker

Birth of an EDC - a WIP thread (pic heavy)

A while ago I did a GB on a small, sodbuster FF with bottle opener, something of a popular combination, over here too, as I made about 60 of them in the end! Then I saw a knife made by GEC, that is not in production apparently, but I thought it a good idea - a teardrop/swell end Jack with a spear blade and bottle opener as second blade. While I love this knife, I also very much like the Camillus #23 equal end "melon" Jack. After some discussion about this on a US forum, I checked to see what I had on hand in the shop, and started on my model "83" - 8 for the 85 from GEC and 3 for the #23 Camillus!
    Turns out I had a spear point blade and a couple of fitting springs ready cut and profiled - handy, as I happened to be looking for a spear point!
    Had some of the same steel available in bar stock format - 2.5mm 12c27, so I drew and cut out a bottle opener, and some brass liners and a spacer.
    No specific design - just working around what I had on hand:

Here's how we started out - just checking to see it it will all fit together with a little tweaking:

Seemed OK, so I cut some nail nicks, did a little more profiling, drilled the spacer and other liner and just roughly put them together to get a better idea of whether I am on the right track:

Still showing promise, I thought, so I did a very initial grind, to get an even better idea of what I could be looking at:

Time to see how it actually fits, walks and talks, so I HT'ed the springs, made up a interim/test scale and started checking for fit.
    The "back" section of the knife, if you are right handed:

Half stop:

Open:

Closed:

The "front" section (you'll notice the "F" on the spring - so's I don't get confused...)

Half:

Open:

Closed:

So far, so good - it all seems to fit well together and it walks and talks nicely. I am working on this in between my client's orders, so I will update as and when I make some progress, which would hopefully not be too slow.
    It is a prototype so I will tweak dimensions as I go along, but right now it looks to be about 3.5" closed with a 2.75" blade. Bolsters will be brass and scales I still have to decide, but I am leaning towards Paduak..

Thanks for looking and comments/suggestions more than welcome.
    Last edited by smokepole; 01-05-12 at 07:03 AM.

VIP Member

Re: Birth of an EDC - a WIP thread (pic heavy)

looks good Willem - and you can't beat paduak
    If you love something, set it free.
    Unless it's a tiger.

Account Closed

Ooh, this is going to be good!

Danzo

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    Ooh, this is going to be good!

Danzo
    - yep, looking great.

But, hey, Willem............that coffee-table is a bit rough, mate

I love not Man the less, but Nature more

It's not the years in our life that matter.......it's the life in our years

That's looking very good. Great work. Here's one for comparison in case it helps.

s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Maker

Iain, and I happen to have a small but suitable and very very nice piece left over from a Parang handle I did recently!

Dan, thank you - if you like what you see it always gives me hope - your taste and knowledge has proved impeccable in the past!

Paul, as you know, we are a bit of a rough bunch over here - raw pine coffee tables being all the rage!! Seriously though, there is a mug that lives on the edge of that table (it is my "finishing" table) just about permanently - but at least I don't drink that much coffee - I like it, but for most I prefer a good tea, believe it or not!!

Smiling-Knife, thank you very much - that is indeed very helpful. Nice old Camco that - tell me if you want to trade!! In essence the Camco is what I am aiming for, with larger bolsters, and a little more equal ended than cigar shaped - other than that it helps me with proportions - I think I need to tweak the bottle opener a little more.

Maker

Right, the blades are in the deep freeze as part of the HT, the bolsters have been riveted onto the liners and the scales have been epoxied. All a little difficult to photograph - will take some pics tomorrow when a little more progress has been made.

Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing your knife.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

VIP Member

Looking good so far, Willem!

My personal wish list for a pocket knife:
    a nicely shaped thin blade, a bottle opener with screw driver and a cork screw.

Guess you realized most of these requirements already.
    Ludi

MADE IN GERMANY

Maker

Thanks Ludi! I'll just have to see about adding a cork screw to a future model I guess....

Did some more work on this one. I suppose you could call it progress, but it is not exactly what I had in mind...

Here it is in components, just after HT:

And assembled for the first time - just a rough indication to see if it all fits and to work off the handle die a little closer to the final (intended) profile:

For now I did a little bit of a swell on the handle to see what it looks and feels like - can always remove it later to get the knife thinner. A little more difficult adding it back.....

Since the pictures I have done a little more work on the handle die and I think I am going to redo it. It just isn't what I had in mind - I think I am going to try it with a little swell end die and see.

Looks absolutely brilliant so far. Can't wait to see the finished knife!

Thumbs up Re: Birth of an EDC - a WIP thread (pic heavy)

Great looking knife a combination of 2 patterns I like the Camillus 23 and GEC 85. I would put more dramatic swedge on the spear blade though.

Mike

Maker

Thanks TC and Mike!! Mike, just for you I will "dramatise" the swedge a little more tomorrow!

Anyway, seeing as it is a prototype after all, in the end I decided to finish it as is - and I am glad I did. Although not 100% done yet, it is at a stage where you can get a better idea.

I am still going to make one with a swell end, but for now I think this one has earned it's place.
    I learned quite a few things building it and I will definitely be doing some more of these equal ends - but this time I will do a proper design and have a template for the handle die, instead of just free wheeling the whole time.

It isn't a big knife by any means, but it is a very handy, comfortable size for an EDC:

I have rather large hands, but even so, it is handy (excuse the pun!! ::facepalm:: )

On it's own:

Cap lifter/bottle opener

Closed

Blade nicely centered......I think I do like it, after all! So much so that it is definitely going onto EDC rotation to see how it behaves in the real world...

It still needs a little rounding of the corners, that more dramatic swedge, a final sanding, oiling, etching etc - but you can start seeing where it is going...

What do you think?

That looks really good. I like the brushed brass bolsters. They go well with the wood. Great work.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Maker

Thank you kindly! I will hopefully be able to put the finishing touches on the knife tomorrow and post it up.

Thread Information