7Cr17Mov stainless steel.....views

I asked gerber would they engrave a warrant knife for me with the details of my sons birth 10.6.12 and name, so I can give it him when he comes of age. Now ive waited for ages until today when I mailed gerber and said "if its not in stock il swap it for this http://www.gerber-store.co.uk/knives...ade-knife-p114 but didnt want it engraved as il probs get my son an lmf 2 instead now. whats the 7Cr17Mov steel like as its the first blade ive seen it on

Account Closed

Re: 7Cr17Mov stainless steel.....views

It's a Chinese steel, not one of their best but a knife isn't just about the steel designation.

Have a look at this review of the knife you link to, from a member here with impeccable credentials:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...grylls+compact

Danzo

RIP Maarten

Taken from BladeForums I have always found this useful:

5cr15mov-12C27mod, 420HC: Kitchen use, boating, use around water
    5cr13 AUS-4, 420HC, 13C26: Daily use where long-term edge retention and great corrosion resistance are not required, but easy sharpening is

7cr17mov 440A: Daily use where corrosion resisitance is desired over long term edge retention

8cr14mov AUS-8, 440B: Work knife, daily use, decent edge retention and decent corrosion resistance

8cr13mov AUS-8, 440B: Work knife, daily use, decent edge retention with a little less (than 8Cr14MoV) corrosion resistance
    9cr18mov 440C: Work knife, daily use, good edge retention with great corrosion resistance
    9cr13comov AUS-10, VG-10, ATS-55: Work knife, daily use, best edge retention with decent corrosion resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post

5cr13 AUS-4, 420HC, 13C26: Daily use where long-term edge retention and great corrosion resistance are not required, but easy sharpening is

7cr17mov 440A: Daily use where corrosion resisitance is desired over long term edge retention

8cr14mov AUS-8, 440B: Work knife, daily use, decent edge retention and decent corrosion resistance

8cr13mov AUS-8, 440B: Work knife, daily use, decent edge retention with a little less (than 8Cr14MoV) corrosion resistance
    9cr18mov 440C: Work knife, daily use, good edge retention with great corrosion resistance
    9cr13comov AUS-10, VG-10, ATS-55: Work knife, daily use, best edge retention with decent corrosion resistance
    Thank you for this information. I'm quite new to the world of knife blade materials, and although I have a decent but basic grasp of the more common metals, its good to have these different types written out like that, so that you know what the actual "properties" of the said material is - resistance etc. Thanks again!

5Cr15MoV, equals to 420MoV. HRC 56 + - 2 after heat treatment.
    4Cr13, it is 420HC grade. HRC could be 56.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post

Thread Information