What laminated blade comparable with Morseth?

Please identify available 3-ply laminated blades whose core laminate HRc range is between 62 and 65. Brusletto used to make such blades for Harry, then Steve Morseth, then A.G. Russell.

I have queried Brusletto and Helle. Neither makes such a laminated blade NOW. Neither will make such a blade. Apparently, failure rate for core laminate is high. Yet there are many tool steels and a few stainless steels that can reach this high hardness with room to spare. And laminating any between softer spring steel would provide a cushion against brittle breakage -- of course, this is the purpose for laminated blade in the first place.

In the absence of blades, please identify complete knives available whose blades are comparable with Morseths?

Re: What laminated blade comparable with Morseth?

You may wish to speak /mail Steen nielsen

On of scandinavias best.
    Dave
    Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its ways or live a lie.~ Miyamoto Musashi.

The path to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant~ Musashi

The man who,lives with no forgiveness in his heart is really already dead. ~ Nakayama

I think that a 62-65 Rockwell blade is to hard
    You are only getting a blade with saw teeth edge or even a broken blade after a short time use.
    I would recomend that you go for a blade with a core of 56-58 Rockwell C

Ragnar has some of the actual Morseth blades here:
    http://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html

These were recently discovered in the factory warehouse. They are old stock and were apparently made for the American knifemaker Harry Morseth. For some reason they were never delivered. They are laminated carbon steel, 4 7/8" long, 1" wide, and about .175" thick. Mr. Morseth liked his blades stout. The blades are stamped rather than etched with "Brusletto Norway". $27
    The strength of the pack is the wolf.
    The strength of the wolf is the pack.

Judas:

MY MAIN MAN!!!

Blades are very close to a universally useful size and configuration -- that is, bellied clip point, just under five-inch blade, about one inch from back to edge, just under 3/16-inch thick. Blades are nearly exactly the configuration of my Harry Morseth knife.

As usual for me, I got carried away. I just bought ten (10) Brusletto Morseth blades. I have no idea why so many. Perhaps, the idea that there will be no more at anything close to this price pushed me over the edge. Of course, this still doesn't answer the question.
    Next things to do include:

1. Identify a knife maker willing to complete the knives -- that is, thread the tang, then assemble and finish.

1. A. I haven't seen blades' grind. If possible, create a convex grind.

2. Identify leather worker who will create lined sheaths.
    I am considering having stag handles installed on some. But I'm concerned about stag's durability. I've seen stag handles crack, peel, chip, and crumble as they get older. How do I protect and preserve a stag handle? Is this a continuing and periodic maintenance, or do I do what need be done one time?
    Last edited by Naphtali; 04-01-06 at 09:43 PM.

I just received the Brusletto/Morseth blade I ordered from Ragweed Forge (after reading this thread last week), and I am stunned by the thickness of the blade. Compared to the blades I have from Baudin, Eklund and pretty much all of the non-damascus Scandi blades available at Brisa, this Brusletto is a monster. I don't have any leuku blades, so maybe this is what they're like with a clipped point?

Now I just have to decide what type of handle to make for it.... Since it's a pretty nonstandard blade (from what I've seen), I'm thinking Ironwood and antler might set it off nicely.

My Morseth-Brusletto blades arrived, packaged as shrink-wrapped cards. Blade shape is nearly identical with my [Harry] Morseth general purpose knife.

Differences include:

1. Blades are slightly longer, about .25 inch (6.3 mm).

2. Blades' grind is much less aggressive -- that is, grind appears to be not much more than clean-up of blade blank. To finish the blade requires a slow wheel or belt. Use bare hands to make sure blades are not overheated during grind. Not having miked any yet, I suspect there is sufficient mass to allow convex grind.

3. Tangs are not threaded. Given the HRc of the core lamination, achieving this will be interesting.

4. arcanum and I disagree. He refers to the blades as "monsters." My perception is that blades are of routine size for a 4-3/4 - 5-inch general purpose outdoorsman's hunting knife. Blade has less belly than many "skinning" knives, more belly than caping knives. Blade thickness -- that is, grind configuration -- as received, is not terribly useful (See #2). Perhaps this is to what arcanum refers.
    In the past Brusletto has set 200 blades as their minimum for non-standard shapes and configurations. Since Morseth blades were non-standard in HRc core lamination also, I suspect the minimum was set somewhat higher. Regardless, anyone who appreciates Morseth blades TO USE, these are an opportunity to achieve Morseth results at a non-collector's price. When these are gone, . . .

This guy is selling a brusletto blade (scroll down the page a bit to see the blades). Dont know if that is what you are looking for. I think that is the same company that made the morseth blade stock that harry then used to create the famous knives we know.

http://www.uj9.com

"Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

Heres a Morseth blade

Both Brusletto and Helle make a laminated blade. See Ragweed Forge's website under
    Knife blades and kits. I've used several of both. I did regrind the back of the Brusletto to
    flatten it out a bit. Both cut very well when properly sharpened. I don't think either of the two
    blades pictured above are Brusletto (but stand to be corrected). The style just isn't right for a Scandi blade. Blades pictured are strongly hollow ground and drop point style; just not "Scandi" style blades IMHO.

Rich S
    Last edited by Rich S; 28-10-10 at 10:15 PM.
    Richard Stein, PhD

The Japanese Sword Index
    http://japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm

The Nihonto Message Board
    http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/index.php

Persistence pays.

Although laminated carbon steel blades comparable with Morseth's are no longer available, Cowry X damascus is. "Damascus" is misleading - that is, blades are three laminations, outer laminations being multiple-folded damascus of a version of 420 stainless steel. These multiple folds serve no purpose beyond aesthetics; they look goooood! Inner layer is Cowry X steel. Its chemistry indicates it is just on the wrong side of being classified as "stainless steel," pretty much like D-2's level of corrosion resistance. Core layer's HRC is in the 65-67 range, slightly higher than Brusletto-Morseths. On my knife outer layers are somewhat thicker than Morseth's and blade uses convex grind. I believe this additional metal mass is to mitigate/compensate for less ductility of Cowry X's extreme hardness.

Touch-up sharpening has been no problem once I learned how to "strop." With routine maintenance, staining is minimal. I could get rid of it, but why? Blade is used [so far] every year to crack sternums on whitetails without any issues. I haven't the nerve to try this on an elk's more massive bone structure. Although the blade is, to my eyes, on the thick side, its grind configuration allows it to do delicate cutting. I have no responsibility for specifying for this benefit; that's the way I got it.

Pics?

Thread Information