Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Spyderco Pride pass around.

Right guys, another pass around.

In order to take part in the pass around please make yourselves familiar with the pass around rules/guidelines HERE, then e-mail me at yog@meshmonkey.eclipse.co.uk with your postal address.

I’ll be shipping it out on 19th of November, so you have a week and a half to get your names in, it also gives me some time to play with the knives.

Pride – mini review.
    This is Spyderco’s first ever slipjoint, and it conforms exactly to UK knife laws. Basic details are HERE.

The Pride is another of those knives that I was undecided upon when I first saw pictures of it. Although I’m a fan of the Spyderco Navigator (I had a G-10 version as an office knife for a couple of years) which design the Pride is based on, my initial feelings were that the brushed aluminium handles with badge insert made it look like it came from a 1970’s BBC effects department (possibly as seen on Dr. Who), but again looks have proved to be very deceptive. Personally I would have found a plainer handle, possibly like the upcoming plain black handled aluminium Salsa, but that might just be me.
    Upon receiving the knife I thumbed it open and my initial thought was, “hmm, a bit stiffer than I’m used to from a Spyderco”, but then the thought that immediately followed was “hang on a moment, that was a SLIPJOINT I just thumbed open, demn that was smooth”.
    The spring is not as strong as those on other slipjoints I have, but because the normal grip position places the pointer finger in a finger choil that is formed in the area between the handle and the blade’s ricasso it is not possible to close the blade all the way whilst the fingers are gripped around the handle. The Pride is also an easy one hand closer, with the thumb pressing down on the back of the blade and the rate of closing being controlled by the pointer finger in the choil.

The blade steel is AUS-6, which with the exception of Queen’s D2 series is about the best used by modern production slipjoints, although I could wish for better. Spyderco say they put an edge of 30 degrees inclusive on all their knives, but I found the edge on the Pride to be much wider, possibly because the blade is AUS-6 (the softest steel Spyderco uses), or else it is a one off quirk produced by Spyderco finishing all their edges by hand on a belt sander. Personally I would put a thinner edge on the Pride, but for the purpose of this pass around I have left it at the angle it arrived at.

Pros – A neat, well made knife that perfectly conforms to UK knife laws. Although wider than most slipjoints (and so appears bigger), the Pride comes across as a very inoffensive knife so is ideal for office or formal use. One of the better steels used in modern production slipjoints, and the easy one hand opening and closing is a very welcome addition.

Cons – Could possibly do with a slightly stronger spring. It might not “need” it when used properly with the correct grip, but a stronger spring would increase the perception of safety.

Summary – A very welcome addition to UK residents that want to stay on the right side of the law at all times and yet have the benefits of modern construction and materials. On a personal not I feel that a plainer appearance would give the Pride a slightly wider appeal.
    "By the sacred jockstrap of Robert E. Howard ! You'll pay for that Hellspawn !!""

Re: Spyderco Pride pass around.

Sign me up please
    Email sent.

banned

Just got this little number from a fellow Formite. What can I say? Its the first knife I have bought in over a year...

So, this knife has to be a little special to get me to part with the cash! For the money this is one of the best little folders I have ever seen. Sure compared to my Damascus Sebenza or Mnandi, the Pride does not have the perfect fit and finish or rock solid wobble free blade (a feature of slipjoints is blade wiggle right?), but the combo of a razor sharp factory edge, skinner blade shape and great ergo's for such a small knife are a winner in my opinion. The Aluminium handle feels very nice and the opening action whilst a little rough (hey its a brand new knife! ) it snaps open with authority and feels very secure.

The detailing on this knife is very good and it is obvious a lot of thought and effort has gone into this knife. The highly scuplted handle with a perfect grip. The way the flag is highlighted with machine work on the scale, very nice indeed. The flag itself is also very nicly done, though as a spoilt CRK fan I notice the embosed flag does not quite fill the 'pocket' fully in which it sits... sad I know! I AM REALLY SAD! Why? Because I am looking at this knife and its detailing and thinking about a Chris Reeve product as a comparison! Look at the price of the Pride! Seriously! I am not at all ashamed to say that whilst this knife is not in the same league as a Reeve product, it is certainly not embarased to sit next to one either!

To get to the point... This is an amazing little folder that looks and feels like a $100+ knife and then some. The attention to detail is superb. CRK&T take note, satin finished 6a looks very nice! The blade finish is always something Spyderco aught rightly be very proud of, I have yet to see a blunt or badly polished blade from Spyderco, also the grind lines are perfect! I have seen blades at 4x the price or more with poor attention to QC and detailing. Not here, no sir!

How well does the knife cut you ask? Very very well! It shaved right out of the box. Sure 6a is not a steel that inspires any interest in me and I would have prefered VG-10 as this will be an EDC for me! However this steel is servicable if disapointing against what I am used to. Then again my other EDC blades are Chris Reeve, Microtech etc products! As well as high end Spyderco also...

The use of 6a whilst disapointing to me, has enabled the Pride to be at a lower price point than if S30V or VG-10 were used, at the same time the rest of the knife is far away better in quality than the lower price point suggests. A fair compromise and 6a is a more rust resistant and user friendly steel for the non-KnifeKnut user. I approve, but would love a limited run, with a Welsh Flag in S30V! How much for this item Sal? As a one off?

The main and great point behind this knife however must not be overlooked. Its a tac one handed opener and closer without a lock. The sub 3" blade and lack of a lock make it the IDEAL knife for Europe and Britain. Simply put I can carry this knife anywhere I want at all times and I am bomb proof, no one can challenge me for carrying this wonderfull pocket knife. The elegant swept leaf style skinning blade gives a strong tip and a cutting power greater than the just over 2" blade suggest.

All in all a superb tool and one that I will carry as my UK LEGAL folder all the time!

Sal, you have done us proud with the Pride, thanks!

In re-reading my mini review I realise that in focusing on how "I" think it could be improved, I may have not expressed how much I really like this knife.

There are two possible reasons for carrying a slip joint, either you like the old'y world'y style of them, or you are looking for a useful totally legal cutting tool. If your reason for having a slip joint is the latter, then the Pride could well be for you.
    The clip and one hand opening really made me forget I wasn't using a modern lock knife, it was just so easy.
    In fact I'm seriously thinking of getting one (probably with the Spyderco logo) for those times I'm working in sensitive areas (a lot of my work is in pimary schools), because unless you are going to paint it pink with flowers I can't imagine how you could make such a good cutting tool look any less threatening.

BTW - The first person on the pass around list might notice a funny smell on it as I've been using it to strip small branches off of fir trees today. Smells a bit like an air freshener at the moment :240: :
    "By the sacred jockstrap of Robert E. Howard ! You'll pay for that Hellspawn !!""

If there is going to be a raffle at the end of this passaround, I'm begining to like the odds.

You call Yog, what do want heads or tails.

:approve: :approve: :approve:

Jon

VIP Member

I would go for this as a passaround, except for the minor fact that I bought one off Baggy a wee while back - and my wife promptly swiped it. So I can handle a Pride any time I want - providing I clear it with SWMBO first!

Very nice knife, BTW.
    Peter

ethics (Noun, pl)
    1. a code of behaviour, esp. of a particular group, profession, or individual: business ethics
    2. the moral fitness of a decision, course of action, etc.

Just a quick query Yog, am I down for both the Pride and the Dodo/Military pass arounds? I'd like to be down for both if possible.

Cheers

Shaun
    He jests at scars that never felt a wound
    Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by gurushaun
    Just a quick query Yog, am I down for both the Pride and the Dodo/Military pass arounds? I'd like to be down for both if possible.

Cheers

Shaun
    Yep, I had you down for both

Thanx for the kind words. Actually the "Pride" is a Navigator pattern (as is the MeerKat).

We had the UK market in mind when we chased the concept. Sometimes one wishes to carry a knife, but because of possible local ordinance, one must question "what to carry?" The Pride is that "I don't want to deal with any legal or PC BS", but still carry a performing one hander that won't be thought of as a weapon.

If you think of it within that light (design philosophy), the creature's appearance changes. If you must compare it, compare to other non-locking folders rather than locking knives.

sal
    Last edited by sal; 16-11-03 at 12:41 AM.

Sal - it is too easy to try and compare the Pride to most of "normal EDC knives" as it has a clip and is one handed opening but of course you are right in that it should be compared to our SAK's etc.

I carry mine now 95% of the time outside the house or work.

However I NEED a slightly bigger one with better steel and a reversable clip for us lefthanders, perhaps modeled on the Calypso Junior
    I may live in Kent but I'm not a SSSDB

Account Closed

Really looking forward to seeing it! But a slipjoint 2.9" Native would be......

mlove2:

thanks for everything sal!

Danzo

After carrying one for just over a week I KNOW I'm going to get one.

One interesting point - It is an all screw construction, and it looks as though the spring is intergral with the back spacer, so the thing that keeps going through my mind is - two pieces of home made micarta + a coping saw + a dremil + some polish = a rather nice self customised slipjoint
    Might have to get two in case I bo-lax the first one :

The only other thing I could wish for is a bit longer blade with a more acute tip for taking out splinters and thorns (occupational hazard) and possibly make it VG-10. My, that sounds a lot like a Calypso Jnr blade :notworthy
    :240:

Yog wroten a personal not I feel that a plainer appearance would give the Pride a slightly wider appeal
    I agree. Appearance is why I also bought the Ti Salsa rather than one with a chilli pepper on it.

Maybe different coloured handles with a small Spyder logo inlaid would be nice - like a SAK. I find the flags a bit 'touristy' or like those cheap company promotional giveaways (although I understand how the flags make them more PC/people friendly).

A plain handled flat grind Pride would be perfect

I love the Navigator and the Meercat BTW.
    Last edited by Cool; 16-11-03 at 02:37 PM.

Interesting that you would mention the "touristy" aspect. When the Pride was originally designed, the plan was to sell them in airports with the country flag being available in each country airport.

Then 911 happened.

Then the Pride came out.

sort of put the damper on the airport promotion concept.

sal

Hi Sal,

Thanks for the reply. (I'm constantly amazed how the CEO of the most influential knife company takes time out to talk to the end users). Much appreciated.

I fully understand the touristy rationale for the Pride - and also as a platform for putting company logos etc for promo purposes. It makes good commercial sense.

It's just me and my plain tastes

I know this has been asked many times, but how about a SpyderSAK? I find that I'm always using the scissors on my various SAKs and would love a Spyderco version.

Can I take the opportunity to ask about the ETA of the Paramilitarys? I cannot wait for that one!

Thread Information