Is old chisel steel suitable for making a knife?

I am wondering if an old chisel would be suitable for making a custom knife. I am assuming the steels used for chisels must be of decent hardness and perfectly suitable for converting into a knife but maybe this has already been tried and found not to be good or maybe someone knows of things to be careful of. Many thanks if you can give some input.

Maker

Re: Is old chisel steel suitable for making a knife?

Woodworking chisels are highly likely to be (if they're quality brands and old)
    Cold chisels - Not.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    My homepage www.tanczos.co.uk
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanczo...36677856352024
    Maker/Member of the KMA

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by parbajtor View Post
    Woodworking chisels are highly likely to be (if they're quality brands and old)
    would they not be brittle without a change of heat treat?
    Ruin is the Devil's work, consecutive and slow
    Fail in a moment no man did
    - Gwyneth Jones

Maker

You want to aneal it first, work it to the right design then harden and temper. You need to know if its fully hardened or case hardened if you plan on jumping straight in. Be a good project!
    Some of my past work here :)
    Available for Commissions - IRB Custom, leather work and custom knives. For more information please visit my website at http://www.irbcustom.co.uk/

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
    would they not be brittle without a change of heat treat?
    Yes, but I figured he'd be forging it anyway unless he wanted to make a Yari or traingular section dagger.
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    My homepage www.tanczos.co.uk
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tanczo...36677856352024
    Maker/Member of the KMA

Hi guys, yes I did mean woodworking chisels, not cold. I love the shape of them and the patina you get on old steel where it's been corroded over the years, plus they have that dead grey look to the steel. For that reason alone I would not be forging them as all that 'used' look would disappear (as I slowly but surely smash the thing to pieces). I haven't done any annealing/tempering for years now but that's something I'm sure I can handle. But I'll have to look up some tutorials on it to feel more confident. The other reason I would be leaving them as they are is the thickness you get on some old chisels, I like a good thick piece of steel as I do a lot of prising rocks apart (I'm into geology too) so they need to be strong. Plus the shape looks good.

Thanks for this fb you have given, I feel more confident to go ahead now.

Maker

Perfect geometry for it, some good memebers on here who make pry bars and such like, there's always plenty of ideas here no matter what it is I find.
    Some of my past work here :)
    Available for Commissions - IRB Custom, leather work and custom knives. For more information please visit my website at http://www.irbcustom.co.uk/

Thread Information