Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    VIP Member

Re: Show us your buck knives !

bg-42 g10 custom 110

bg-42 cherry wood fingergrooved

buck 110 linerlock

BUCK 110 MASTER SERIES BG-42

BUCK 110 BUCK COLLECTORS CLUB KNIFE THAT GOT OFFERED TO BCCI MEMBERS FEW YEARS AGO.

PLUM HANDLED DROP POINT BUCK 110

Last edited by skelator88; 13-03-13 at 09:41 PM.

banned

impressive!

out of all the many buck 110's you own, how many have blade play dude?

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    impressive!

out of all the many buck 110's you own, how many have blade play dude?
    honestly 1 that is 20 plus years old that i will be sending back to buck to have a spa job on it.
    its a damascus finger grooved.

ive just bought two 1970 model 110 complete with original boxes that are solid lockup and snap no wobble in the slightiest

VIP Member

Some real nice 124 frontiersmans

First 124 red head clip point

my truly favourite 124 2 line

Quote Originally Posted by skelator88 View Post
    Some real nice 124 frontiersmans
    They're rather nice, aren't they.

I keep having second thoughts; it's one of the first "proper" knives I bought myself.
    Last edited by Basemetal; 29-03-13 at 04:34 PM. Reason: no advertising ;o)
    Xav

------------------------------------------------

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

The first time I visited the US I saw a Frontiersman 124 in a Buck disply case in the shop selling Levis. I bought Levis, but always wished I had bought the 124 instead. At the time I thought it was just too big. Now I know it is too big for me, but it is a lovely knife none the less.

So, for my own Bucks, I have the 119 (of course?) that is currently unused though from 2008. I bought it relatively recently after wanting one for years.

There is the 110 (naturally?) from 1981-86 period and a 112 that I have used quite a bit.

I have the 105 Pathfinder from 1988 that is a nice shape and size for all sorts of practical uses and although I have used it quite a bit, it is like new. I made a new sheath for it to replace the rather bulky flap-over pouch sheath it came with.

And finally a Skinner 103 that I bought from someone who said it has been used for one or two gralloching jobs, but forgot to say it had also been used to dig holes in a tarmac road since it was made in 1990 and might have been run over a couple of times and probably left out in the rain for a month or so! It cleaned up OK and I do like it for rough stuff, though its thick, blunt-ended, wide and deep-bellied blade shape is perhaps not the best for fish filleting! It says "Why me, again?" when asked to do the impossible and afterwards I have to push the handle back into line (the black phenolic bit moves a little when really pushed hard - doubt if I'd get a replacement now though!) - it is one tough little bugger; a survivor - and the sheath has drunk lots of neatsfoot oil and shoe polish and is now reasonably usable.

VIP Member

it had also been used to dig holes in a tarmac road since it was made in 1990 and might have been run over a couple of times and probably left out in the rain for a month or so!

Great little post made me laugh

The 103 skinner is not a fish fillet, its best for skinning small game.Buck do make fish fillet knives.

The 124 is a big heavy knife especially the full tang versions. They keep their money so well and the older ones like below go through the roof !

VIP Member

Just the three for me, and none as beautiful as those above, camera's out of action at the moment so pics from the 'net.

Buck Nano Bantam

Buck Omni Hunter 10pt

Buck 288 Quickfire

The Nano Bantam isn't bad for a small knife riveted together.

The Omni is a brute of a knife, Very strong back-lock, it almost hurts to close it. It also feels cheap and it really wasn't.

The 288 Quickfire is (for me) the best of the trio, quick is indeed the way to describe the deploying of the blade. It has a "safety catch" to stop it firing when you don't want it to. To wander off topic a bit, I've been using assisted opening knives for a few years, I never use the safety catches and I've never had one open in my pocket, extra bits to go wrong and extra cost is all they are for me. Back on topic the quickfire's back-lock is a lot easier to use than the one on the Omni. The angular lines of the knife are a lot more comfortable than they look and it feels a lot better than the other two.
    Blade steels are 420J2 on the Nano Bantam and 420HC on the Omni and the Quickfire and they are both up fine choices, the 420J2 sharpens easily and needs sharpening quite often, The 420HC is well up to standard and retains an edge well.

I've only had one Buck knife; the Buck Vantage Pro. It was a good knife for most EDC tasks and good value for money. It was sold in the classifieds though. I did like the look of the Buck 112 with the finger grooves at one point.
    Last edited by thegreatgonzo; 19-07-13 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skelator88 View Post
    it had also been used to dig holes in a tarmac road since it was made in 1990 and might have been run over a couple of times and probably left out in the rain for a month or so!

Great little post made me laugh

The 103 skinner is not a fish fillet, its best for skinning small game.Buck do make fish fillet knives.

The 124 is a big heavy knife especially the full tang versions. They keep their money so well and the older ones like below go through the roof !

Yes, thanks. Indeed the 103 is probably the worst shape ever for filleting, but it chops up mackeral for rubby-dubby like there's no tomorrow and perversely I like to try it out for the wrong-ish tasks. That big belly reminded me of the Inuit ooloo (?) - well the half-round blade like the leather worker's knife - that they use for everything, including fish. No - the 103 was not a success.

Now I really know I should have bought the 124

My fixed blade Kalinga Pro

Last edited by LiquidMetal; 03-04-13 at 12:17 AM.

banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
    Inuit ooloo (?)

Now I really know I should have bought the 124
    Ulu and yes, I'd love one, that red head one is just amazing.

VIP Member

Heres a few more bucks

brown micarta 124

early 1970s buck 124 red /burgundy handle lanyard hole

buck 119 bcci knife with part brass part alu butt and guard with cocobolo handle

VIP Member

A three pin 110. THis knife has no blade play. None, zip, zilch, nitko, dim.

VIP Member

Terrible shot,
    my irritation at the barely perceptible sideways blade play must have spoiled my concentration
    [IMG][/IMG]

Only a tiny bit of play, but being used to spydies quality, it annoys.

Thread Information