VIP Member

HT and temper on fillet knife?

As it says really, I am looking to make an 8 inch fillet knife from 01 or D2 and considering its gonna be very thin and it needs to be flexible what advice can I get? Should I leave it about 1 mil for ht and then grind it to finished thickness. What hardness should I aim for as I want it to be very flexible.

VIP Member

Re: HT and temper on fillet knife?

I'm not sure either of those steels will be suitable for a filleting knife...
    Because of the required flexibility I think some kind of spring steel would be more suitable....
    Though I have no personal experience of making a filleting knife, that's just my thoughts....
    "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you??.... Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, ' I don't know and I don't care.'"
    Checkout maker of the month at....
    http://grommitbaileyknives.com/

I haven't yet made a Filleting knife but I did do some research. Apparently the flexibility is purely down to the thickness of the steel and I understand that some top quality sushi knives are made from O1. I suspect that the success of such a project is down to the HT. I stopped short of making a filleting knife as I currently HT using torches and I was not sure I could HT successfully on something that long and thin. My next workshop project is a HT kiln so I may re-visit a Fillet blade sometime once it is built.

My gut feeling is that the hardness needs to be slightly higher than a thicker blade but as with a lot of these things that could be counter-intuitive and therefore completely wrong!

Good luck

Steve D

VIP Member

I had a nice one in 440C a while ago. The one I had in 1095 was, surprise surprise, rubbish at dealing with salt water, and parts of fish

Like Noddy has said carbon is a poor choice for knives intended for use with fish. The Japanese do it but they also dry the knife after each cut and sharpen before each job. Unless you are as meticulous as a Japanese sashimi chef then I would opt for stainless. When cutting things like fish you can actually see rust forming!

However if you do have the patience for it then O1 will work. Do a practice strip in the thickness you want the blade to be and temper it at different temps (starting low of course) until you reach your desired springiness.

Maker

I would go with Noddy on this one - get some N690/440c or even 12c27 - all relatively simple to HT. I would not use D2 for that long and thin a blade. If you did go with O1, or any of the others (stainless) for that matter I think flexibility is what you should temper for, rather than hardness. I'd temper back to blue at least twice, possibly three times and live with the hardness I get - which should still be around 57 to 59 HRC

Carbon steels will work fine if you don't mind the patina they will quickly develop. I would shoot for 55-57hrc. As Steve said, flexibility is entirely dependent on cross-section. I like a full-flat grind on them, with a micro-bevel.

VIP Member

Is D2 inherently less ductile then 01?

What other steels would be good, I thought D2 might be good because it is a easy HT and more corrosian resistant than 01. As far as rust I am not that worried, I have an 01 santoku knife and I take good enough care of my knives that rust hasn't been an issue.

I have steared clear of stainless due to HT complexity, I did think about RWL34 because I can get it pretty easy its expensive though.

Thread Information