Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    VIP Member

Re: Nitecore EA4, anyone got one?

Mine arrived yesterday, from HKE, exactly ten days after ordering (ordered on a Sunday ) cracking service from HKE.
    As to the EA4 (cool white version) : blinding little pocket rocket. Better download the user manual/leaflet from their website : the one included with the torch was not correct.
    I run mine on 4 Eneloops (the "normal" 2100mAh ones, not the "XX").
    "Guns don't kill people - people kill people"
    All the best, Antoine

Still waiting for mine.
    8 Eneloops 2000 charged and waiting.

VIP Member

I don't know much about batteries and torches. So with that in mind can this flashlight use 14500 lithiums? And is the max output achievable with 1.2v nimh or just with the 1.5v disposables.

This flashlight cannot use 14500 lithiums.
    Max output achievable with 1.2v or 1.5v AA's.

VIP Member

14500s would kill the EA4.

Unless you really, absolutely need the few extra percent runtime offered by a single loading of Eneloop XX cells, the standard Eneloops are much better value and have a longer expected life span, possibly better high current capability too (important in powerful lights like these).

The Eagletac GX25A3 (not released yet) is a three AA light that does also take 14500 cells. It might be worth a look when it comes out. It's in the manual for the SX25A6.
    Last edited by foxyrick; 01-02-13 at 02:02 PM.

I just checked ebay, and apparently the package arrived in the country on the 28th. Which means it is at customs. Which means I will get hit up with additional costs.
    Wh00pti.

Still want the bright though.

I have one of these on the way, a warm/neutral tint which ill be my first non-cool tint light ever.
    I am confused about the batteries though, do the 2000 eneloops have a performance advantage over normal non-rechargable AAs or is the advantage just in the long term cost saving?

Quote Originally Posted by jkm View Post
    I have one of these on the way, a warm/neutral tint which ill be my first non-cool tint light ever.
    I am confused about the batteries though, do the 2000 eneloops have a performance advantage over normal non-rechargable AAs or is the advantage just in the long term cost saving?
    Depends on the AAs, some have better mAH and some have worse.

VIP Member

Non-rechargeable (called 'primary') AA cells, while they have a much higher energy storage capacity than rechargeable NiMH cells, cannot cope with high-current demands in powerful lights. Primary AA cells will not do well in the EA4 at all - you will quickly lose the turbo mode and high mode. This has been tested and confirmed. When you try to draw high currents from primary cells, their voltage drops very quickly.

NiMH cells can provide much higher currents than primary cells. They will run the light at higher output levels and for longer. The only way primary cells might outlast NiMH cells is if you only ever use the lowest light setting. Even then I'm not sure they would.

So, in any modern, powerful light, you really need rechargeable cells for the current capability. The following compares the different rechargeable types (normal NiMH, LSD (Eneloop), and Eneloop XX.

The advantage of Eneloops is not their capacity, but mostly their low self-discharge (LSD) nature. That is the reason I use them and am happy to move away from LiIon and CR123 cells.

'Normal' NiMH cells lose their charge relatively quickly when not used. It's called self-discharge. The result is that if you charge them, then leave them unused for a few months, they will not have much power remaining. They can even be ruined if you leave them for too long and they fully discharge. I have had this happen numerous times with both individual cells, and battery packs.

LSD cells (Eneloop seem the best brand, there are others) have such a low self discharge that they can be supplied already charged, hence the 'ready to use' text. Normal types are not because they might lose their charge before sold.

LSD cells can withstand years of sitting around unused, and still retain most of their charge ready for use. The latest generation of Eneloop AA claims 70% remaining charge after five years storage.

In addition, Eneloop cells have an estimated cycle life of 1800, compared to only 500 charge cycles for a typical NiMH. While one might never reach that before retiring the cells, it still means that they will greatly outlast a normal cell, keeping a higher 'full' capacity as normal cells lose capacity quicker as they age.

Finally, Eneloop cells have a good current capability and are therefore able to run powerful lights. Any good quality NiMH can say the same, but Eneloops are in about as good as it gets. Cheaper cells might not be able to supply as much current.

The one drawback with Eneloop cells is a little lower capacity than the best non-LSD NiMH cells. For me, the trade-off is very much worth it. If you need the absolute maximum run-time on a single set of cells though, Eneloop might not be the best choice for you.

Eneloop XX cells are a compromise, trading off some of their good points given above, for extra capacity to compete with the highest normal NiMH cells. If you really do need maximum capacity, and can afford double the cost of standard Eneloops, then XX are about the best you can buy at the moment. They have fewer recharge cycles and do not hold charge as long (though still much longer than normal cells), and I have read that they might have slightly lower current capability as well. All of that makes sense to balance physically getting more storage chemical into the body.

To summarise:

Normal (but good quality) NiMH: Higher 'full' capacity, lower cycle life, quick self-discharge. Choose if you use your cells very regularly and get a good price on them.

LSD NiMH (Eneloop): Will easily outlive and probably work out cheaper eventually than normal NiMH. Top performance, but at the expense of a little 'full' capacity. Choose if you want a cell that you don't need to worry about topping up. Good for medium-term storage.

Eneloop XX: Between normal and Eneloop for cycle life and self-discharge. Higher capacity. Works out more expensive long-term than Eneloop. Choose if you need highest capacity/longest run-time and have lots of money.

I use Eneloops (not XX). I also have a few 7-day shop own brand LSD cells and so far I have not noticed any difference in performance although I feel more comfortable with the Eneloops. If buying Eneloop cells right now, make sure to get the recently-released third generation. They should be marked 'HR-3UTGB'. Second generation end with 'A' instead of 'B', first don't have either. The cells have improved with each generation. I just bought another 16 for my EA4 and SX25A6.
    Last edited by foxyrick; 06-02-13 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyrick View Post
    If buying Eneloop cells right now, make sure to get the recently-released third generation. They should be marked 'HR-3UTGB'. Second generation end with 'A' instead of 'B', first don't have either.
    That's a really informative post. Thankyou.

I'm a bit concearned though. I just checked my eneloops, I have some that came in old style packs, marked 1500 cycles & some, the newer 1800. Both share the HR-3UTGB!

I wonder what's going on?

[QUOTE=foxyrick;2093828

. The cells have improved with each generation. I just bought another 16 for my EA4 and SX25A6.[/QUOTE]

Yes a really good post.........rep given !

I know this is an EA4 post....but a comparison on both of those torches would be very interesting.
    I have an EA4 and really like it ..how does it compare.

barry

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    That's a really informative post. Thankyou.

I'm a bit concearned though. I just checked my eneloops, I have some that came in old style packs, marked 1500 cycles & some, the newer 1800. Both share the HR-3UTGB!

I wonder what's going on?
    Perhaps Sanyo were just shipping in the older packaging during the cross over. There are counterfeit Eneloops around apparently, but I've not come across them myself. I would bet it's what I said about using the older packaging.

If it were me, I might email Sanyo and ask them, out of curiosity.

There is a good amount of comparative info on Eneloops here:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/7336
    Last edited by foxyrick; 06-02-13 at 07:28 PM.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachcaster View Post
    Yes a really good post.........rep given !

I know this is an EA4 post....but a comparison on both of those torches would be very interesting.
    I have an EA4 and really like it ..how does it compare.

barry
    Thanks for the rep!

Did you see my post on the SX25A6?

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...sorry-Torch%29

I should probably have put it in the review forum, though I wouldn't really call it a review as much as a first impression. Having had them a little longer now, my opinions are just the same.

The executive summary is:

As good as the EA4W is, and it is very good, the SX25A6 far exceeds the EA4 in brightness and throw. The XM-L U2 I have is a very good white. It's not high CRI or anything fancy, but it is remarkably white, not blue or yellow. Having compared both versions of the SX25A6 I kept the XM-L U2, instead of the neutral version which I expected to keep and would usually have been my preference.

Of course, the SX25A6 is heavier, larger (although smaller than a 2D Maglite) and twice the price, so it should be better.

I'll keep the EA4W for better outdoors colour rendering when I want it, but in general the SX25A6 is now my go-to light for night hikes and 'bump in the night' use.

VIP Member

foxyrick: Have you by any chance had a chance to compare either of those 2 with the Fenix TK41?

VIP Member

Sorry, no. On paper, the SX25A6 and TK41 are very close in power but the TK41 has the advantage of longer throw and runtime.

A little bit in my brain keeps asking another little bit why I didn't really consider the TK41 instead of the SX25A6. The other little bit can't really say, except that it really liked the look of the Eagletac.

The EA4 is not quite in the same league as those two, because it steps power down to 550 lumens.

As you said in the other thread, we could do with a get together to compare brights!
    Last edited by foxyrick; 06-02-13 at 09:28 PM.

Thread Information