Eagletac SX25A6 Flashlight (sorry, Torch)

I've recently started to upgrade my lights in order to standardise mostly on AA cell lights instead of CR123/18650 lithiums. I ordered the Eagletac SX25A6 from IlluminationGear the day it was available, and received it a week later, now five days ago.

The SX25A6 (hereinafter 'A6') is going to be my 'big thrower', and if I did throw it at someone, it would hurt! The A6, loaded with six Eneloops, weighs in at about 418g, almost a full pound. It feels good in the hand though, substantial rather than overly heavy, and nicely balanced.

The finish is almost perfect on my A6, but there is a very small flaw. It looks like one of the ridges on the head has been very slightly knocked, right on the edge, and it shows up as a shiny silver edge about 2mm long, hair thin and just noticeable to a finger nail. Not enough to worry about and I can't even get my (rubbish) camera to capture it.

The torch is operated by a single button on the head, and by twisting the head itself to change the brightness in three steps. Also, the torch can be programmed (by repeated twisting) into one of two Modes: Tactical and Regular. The Modes determine the brightness in the three head steps. I like Regular mode which gives 100%, 40% and 0.5%. From any head position, full brightness can be achieved by holding down the button and a double-tap-and-hold activates the strobe function. There are other functions like SOS that require lots of twisting to get to, but I'll never need to use them. A loosening turn of the tailcap seems to do a lock-out.

The A6 is available with either an XM-L U2 (cool white) or XM-L T6 (neutral white but a little less bright). Due to a small shipping mistake, I ended up with both heads to try out - bonus! We'll get to that later.

Maximum output is claimed as 925 ANSI lumens for the XM-L U2 version, but this drops after 200 seconds by 25% to protect the LED from overheating. It is possible to change this to just 10% (which I have) by more head-twisty programming. Comparing the torch to others (like the EA4W and LD41) I have gives me no reason to doubt the output claims. It is bright!

I did some tests the other night when there was still a lot of snow on the ground, but enough visible green and brown stuff too. I only bothered with the maximum mode on each torch. I compared the SX25A6 (cool white), EA4W and LD41.

Stood in part of my garden that is about 8m wide, in the centre about 6m away from a knee-high wall, the LD41 lit up just about edge to edge of the 8m width with very usable spill. The centre of the beam headed out across the field, lighting up the snow and giving bright and good visibility in that centre for about 30m, where the field dropped away down a slope. Browns and greens were washed out, as expected, and the snow looked crisp white, with a hint of blue-white. Very cold looking!

The EA4W illuminated about 6m of the 8m width with its spill, a little less brightly than the LD41 but still bright at this distance. The centre beam lit up the field more brightly than the LD41. What was most noticeable was the colour rendering. The green and brown growing things and old shed actually looked green and brown. The snow took on an almost warm tone; it looked quite inviting rather than icy cold.

Now, the SX25A6... This blew the other two away in terms of brightness and reach. It also still illuminated about 6m of the 8m width, just as brightly as the LD41. I pointed all of them at the snow at my feet before aiming them down the garden. Only the SX25A6 made me want to squint with the brightness. I did it last and wasn't expecting such a difference! The tint of the SX25A6 seems better than the LD41, perhaps more neutral as the snow seemed particularly 'snow' white instead of slightly blue-white - even my wife commented on that, watching from the window. I could not see any significant difference in the blues and greens though; still a little washed out.

I also noticed that the SX25A6 made it easier to see into the distant field with less 'interference' from the foliage lining the sides of the garden, particularly compared to the LD41. I guess the increased difference in brightness between hot-spot and spill is responsible for that.

The neutral head arrived after most of the snow had gone. It seemed to perform similarly to the EA4W in colour rendering, but I decided that I preferred the very 'white' white beam of the XM-L U2 head. After all, it's mostly a long-range light and brightness is more important to me than colour at long range.

The SX25A6 was supplied with an open holster. I don't know if this is standard issue or a freebie from IlluminationGear. I won't use it though as it doesn't offer any protection to the head and lens. The A6 fits nicely in the LD41's supplied pouch, with the head at the top. In fact I think it fits better than the LD41 itself does! I loathe Velcro closures though.

Let's have some photos - sorry about the poor quality but my camera is really old and seems to struggle with metering and focus at times. That's why I haven't even bothered with beam shots.

The box and holster:

Open box:

Nice bag:

Finally, the SX25A6:

The business end:

Ready to load:

Proof that it works:

In hand:

And again:

Offset button in mode 1:

Group shot:
    Fenix LD41, Eagletac SX25A6, Nitecore EA4W, Surefire E2D LED Defender, Malkoff MD4, Quark AA, Eneloop

Last edited by foxyrick; 30-01-13 at 01:50 AM.

Re: Eagletac SX25A6 Flashlight (sorry, Torch)

Thanks for the info. I'm in a similar position, having seen the light (pardon the pun) where it comes to the eneloop AA's.

Eagletac have realay stood out lately, I have the D25a ti & am very impressed. Top of the single AA bunch at present. This stuff tends to move forward quickly, so I'm sure 'others' will overtake shortly but it looks like Eagletac are currently holding more than one gold medal.

The D25A or A2 is on my shortlist for something smaller, when I've restocked my spending account again, lol. It looks a very nice light.

For me, Eneloops or L91 Energizer Lithiums are the way to go. I have had enough of pampering my LiIon cells and can live with the brightness now offered by AA lights. They are brighter than lithium-powered lights were a couple of years back. The trade-off of less light and juggling more cells is worth the lessened hassle and concerns with LiIon.

Yes, LED technology seems to move like computer gear; it's superseded almost as soon as we buy it. And TVs - affordable 3D models were first announced just one month after I bought a new 2D one . I think it's a good time to buy though, given what I wrote above, and I think I'll be satisfied with what I get now for the next few years at least.

Back to the SX25A6, a reasonable pouch for it is the Pantac Silencer Pouch. It's an almost perfect fit although it still leaves the sides of the head exposed either side of the flap. It's the best I've found so far and much better than the holster if one doesn't need fast-draw capability.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyrick View Post
    The D25A or A2 is on my shortlist for something smaller, when I've restocked my spending account again, lol. It looks a very nice light.
    Foxy,

Just so you know, the D25A I have is the '13 ti ltd. It's a super, well made light for the money. The beam is not particularly focussed & is not a long thrower. Neither is it a wide flooder. It's sort of in between, which is all you can really expect for a reflector this small.

It's about as good as the rest of the single AA pack on an eneloop. Where it excels is with the use of a 14500. This steps the game up quite considerably. Beam angle remains the same but it's way way brighter, claiming 500ish lumens.

This is no new trick, Jet beam's Pa10 plays the same game, with a slightly tighter focus & claiming 650lums. However, the PA is a much larger light (same size as some of the more compact 2x123a's) & thus (to my mind) shouldn't be compared to lightweight compact single AA torches. Moreover, when using a 14500 in the PA, you loose all modes. It's an uncontrolable all or nothing. A bit of a pain.

Untill the D25Ati, this has been the rule with the AA/14500 compatible lights. Loads of sub 200 lumen brightness levels if run on a normal AA. But slap in the larger voltage 14500 & you get direct drive only & loose the option to run longer periods at lower power.

The D25ati, much to my happyness is the best of both worlds. It's fine on the AA but with the 14500, not only can you run high, you also get to select all other modes! Yippee!

This gives great flexibility & is why I rate it.

If your intention is to stick with eneloops, then in all honesty, unless you like the titanium construction, it's about the same as the rest of the crowd, in fact, I'd say the slightly shorter/fater Zebralite SC51 cool tint, gives a tighter, brighter beam. But that's green & wont impress with the 14500.

Thread Information