VIP Member

Helle Lappland or alternative Leuku?

Anyone who knows me knows I like my carbon steel blades but recently i've been planying with a Mora scout 40 and i've been very impressed with sandvik steel so I'm wondring how well it works as a chopper steel

I've been thinking about geting a Leuku and the Helle Lappland looks like a good option

anyone have any experience with it?
    Mess with nature at your peril for you are small and biodegradable

Re: Helle Lappland or alternative Leuku?

I'm not familiar with it but would say depending on how much of a hurry you're in and wether you could stretch to £20 or so more you could pick up one hand made by someone like Pasi Hurtilla. I have a Puukko from him as well as being very well made it's got soul!

I'm sure others will chime in....

Re: Helle Lappland or alternative Leuku?

If you're looking for a stainless leuku I think the Helle is the only factory made one featuring a 12C27 blade.

Other than that you could find some stainless leuku made by some of the Kauhava factories (Iisakki Järvenpää, Puukkojunkkari, Kauhavan Puukkopaja etc). They use Lauri blades, though, that are in a modified 420 steel. The only stainless leuku blade by Lauri is 175 mm long.

Speaking of handmade leukus you'll most likely find knives made from spring steel and usually thicker (4-5 mm) than factory ones.
    Among the blacksmiths that might interest you I'd say Antti Mäkinen, Ilkka Seikku, Jani Ryynänen and the already mentioned Pasi Hurttila. Not sure if he still takes commissions for this year, though.

Thread Information