Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forging a flintlock?

As I am two months away from summer vacation (and only part time employment, for better or worse), I have been looking into building flintlock, but considering the price of a lock (about $300 for a good one) and the low price of my time (free) it may be a fun project to just make the lock myself (or three as the first two may not work). Anyone ever tried it? This is still legal for me to do as it is a replica of an antique firearm and is not using self contained ammunition so it is not legally a firearm in the eyes of the law (for now). Also, for anyone following my thread on wood gouges they look exactly as you may expect. Ugly, crude but they cut stuff well enough and did what they were supposed to.
    And in the end itís not the years in your life that count. Itís the life in your years.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    No man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents.
    - Ezra Pound

Re: Forging a flintlock?

I own a flint lock and its a pretty simple firearm. However that doesnt mean its simple to make. Even for a trained and highly skilled machinist and blacksmith it would be a challenge. If it doesnt work its not like a knife where it just snaps of chips it will blow up in your face and remove a large portion of your hand and possibly kill you.

You need tight tolerances when making the barrel, the trigger mechanism is made of many small parts with spring that need to be exactly right. The heat treating on everything needs to be perfect and the wood stock and handle require the work of a very skilled wood worker.

You cant really 'forge' a flintlock. You need a lathe to make the barrel and unless your filing skills are that of a mastersmith you would need a way to machine all the parts for the lock and trigger mechanism.

Sorry to say it but gunsmithing is miles away from bladesmithing. It takes a whole new level of accuracy and skill to get right.

I assumed you just meant the lock part?
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

Hi tenderfoot,as you are in the USA have you considered one of the flintlock kits from a company such as Traditions etc.?It would give you all the pleasure of a personal build at a very reasonable price without the hassle of fabricating from scratch each component part.The manufacture of a lock without previous experience would be a very frustrating and difficult undertaking just for a start not to mention the rest of the gun.Starting with something practically achievable would be my advise.
    Last edited by mrto; 09-03-13 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiemackie View Post
    I own a flint lock and its a pretty simple firearm. However that doesnt mean its simple to make. Even for a trained and highly skilled machinist and blacksmith it would be a challenge. If it doesnt work its not like a knife where it just snaps of chips it will blow up in your face and remove a large portion of your hand and possibly kill you.

You need tight tolerances when making the barrel, the trigger mechanism is made of many small parts with spring that need to be exactly right. The heat treating on everything needs to be perfect and the wood stock and handle require the work of a very skilled wood worker.

You cant really 'forge' a flintlock. You need a lathe to make the barrel and unless your filing skills are that of a mastersmith you would need a way to machine all the parts for the lock and trigger mechanism.

Sorry to say it but gunsmithing is miles away from bladesmithing. It takes a whole new level of accuracy and skill to get right.
    That is why I am making just the lock trigger and fittings. I can buy a breech plug and barrel for about $175, its not worth getting a latch and a button rifler for just those two one off parts. I already forged a trigger group for my Mauser when the old set turned up bent. I already assembled a Mauser 98 (did all the machining and such on the needed parts and inl the stock from scratch). I would not describe it as a presentation gun but it is not a pile of turds either. The only thing I am truly proud of is the blueing, which is better than any production gun I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basemetal View Post
    I assumed you just meant the lock part?
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Hi tenderfoot,as you are in the USA have you considered one of the flintlock kits from a company such as Traditions etc.?It would give you all the pleasure of a personal build at a very reasonable price without the hassle of fabricating from scratch each component part.The manufacture of a lock without previous experience would be a very frustrating and difficult undertaking just for a start not to mention the rest of the gun.Starting with something practically achievable would be my advise.
    The point it so make it from scratch though. If I wanted practical I would just go out and buy an inline muzzle loader from somewhere and use that instead of a flintlock. If you are going to spend lots of time on something, why not spend lots of time on something that goes BANG!
    And in the end itís not the years in your life that count. Itís the life in your years.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    No man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents.
    - Ezra Pound

I forget the name of the video but there is an hour long documentary on YouTube which shows a custom flint lock being made start to finish.
    Starting with forging the barrel :o ..... One moment

The video was linked in this thread but I can't see it anymore for some reason
    http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/3142...in-58-minutes/

Good luck
    Screech wanted - any flavour! - pm me
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Mac View Post
    I forget the name of the video but there is an hour long documentary on YouTube which shows a custom flint lock being made start to finish.
    Starting with forging the barrel :o ..... One moment

The video was linked in this thread but I can't see it anymore for some reason
    http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/3142...in-58-minutes/

Good luck
    Thank you. Since I began this thread I purchased a few books on how to, which should help as well. I would make a barrel, but I have dealt with a lathe and find that sort of work to be rather dull and not very fun. Assuming I operate with REAL black powder I wouldn't worry to much about strength as the originals were made to handle that pressure with Wrought Iron instead of modern ordinance steels.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    - Ezra Pound

VIP Member

Take a few overcharge shots at a distance with some string on the trigger before you try it for real.... Please...
    "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you??.... Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, ' I don't know and I don't care.'"
    Checkout maker of the month at....
    http://grommitbaileyknives.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev View Post
    Take a few overcharge shots at a distance with some string on the trigger before you try it for real.... Please...
    I thought that was standard practice? I was planning on tying the thing to a tire and shooting it from 20 foot away with a tree between me and it.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    - Ezra Pound

VIP Member

I love it when a plan comes together :0)
    Pics n videos please mate .......
    "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you??.... Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, ' I don't know and I don't care.'"
    Checkout maker of the month at....
    http://grommitbaileyknives.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together :0)
    Pics n videos please mate .......
    OK Hannibal. Right now I am in the planning stages and trying to figure out how much to budget. I think I shall make the lock out of 5160 or 1045 (I have both lying around) and the frizzen (what gets hit with the flint, dunno my terminology yet) out of 1095. I may wind up with most fittings made of whatever is lying about so don't expect a pretty gun. Just one that works and fits well.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    - Ezra Pound

Not might be of any use , but its a cool old video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVz3T61trI

Quote Originally Posted by J.Browne View Post
    Not might be of any use , but its a cool old video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVz3T61trI
    It is a cool old video for sure. I actually watched it for the first time yesterday and all I can say is the wood work looks more intimidating than the metal work.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    - Ezra Pound

VIP Member

Totally agree with you bud - what a lovely project! Contrary to other posts, I'd say you can't go far wrong making a lock, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work!

Are you going to make a matching patch box to go with it? About 20 years ago I made a .25" squirrel gun, which in essence was a scaled down Kentucky mountain rifle (I used a .45 as a template), it took a couple of attempts to get the main (lock) spring right, and the lock plate I carved with keyway chisels and finished with warding files.

It was an arduous project, but very rewarding! Incidentally, I used seamless gas tubing for the barrel with 1/4" wall thickness (plenty F.O.S) and 'oval bored' it by twisting a 6' length of 4mm square section mild by holding it in a vice at one end and using a tap holder at the other and cutting out the middle 3' where the twist was most uniform.

I then cast the end 2" of my mandrill into the barrel using lead and removed the plug and filed 2 flats on either side of the plug to turn the round plug (bore diameter) into a rough oval section. I cut slots across the annulus of this section to receive grinding paste and then made a guide plate with a 4 (and a smidgin) mm square cut in it to sit in front of the muzzle as I forced the mandrill down the barrel (by hand, with much lapping and fitting to start), effectively causing the grinding face (lead plug) to rotate in a uniform fashion (in my case about 1 in 30, which is a tad tight for round ball, but worked ok).

The result when finished was a bore which was oval by about 5 thou at a 1:30 twist, and could put 1/4" lead balls into a 4" plate at 100 yards - pretty cutting edge for a smooth(ish) bore!

Let us know how you get on?
    If in doubt, assume the answer is 'NO'...

Quote Originally Posted by megalift View Post
    Totally agree with you bud - what a lovely project! Contrary to other posts, I'd say you can't go far wrong making a lock, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work!

Are you going to make a matching patch box to go with it? About 20 years ago I made a .25" squirrel gun, which in essence was a scaled down Kentucky mountain rifle (I used a .45 as a template), it took a couple of attempts to get the main (lock) spring right, and the lock plate I carved with keyway chisels and finished with warding files.

It was an arduous project, but very rewarding! Incidentally, I used seamless gas tubing for the barrel with 1/4" wall thickness (plenty F.O.S) and 'oval bored' it by twisting a 6' length of 4mm square section mild by holding it in a vice at one end and using a tap holder at the other and cutting out the middle 3' where the twist was most uniform.

I then cast the end 2" of my mandrill into the barrel using lead and removed the plug and filed 2 flats on either side of the plug to turn the round plug (bore diameter) into a rough oval section. I cut slots across the annulus of this section to receive grinding paste and then made a guide plate with a 4 (and a smidgin) mm square cut in it to sit in front of the muzzle as I forced the mandrill down the barrel (by hand, with much lapping and fitting to start), effectively causing the grinding face (lead plug) to rotate in a uniform fashion (in my case about 1 in 30, which is a tad tight for round ball, but worked ok).

The result when finished was a bore which was oval by about 5 thou at a 1:30 twist, and could put 1/4" lead balls into a 4" plate at 100 yards - pretty cutting edge for a smooth(ish) bore!

Let us know how you get on?
    I was considering doing a simplified version of the one showed in the video. Same locking mechanism, but less ornate. And I also want to install better sights. My vision is mediocre at best, but so I want a peep sight. I don't want to mess about with making a barrel, so I will just buy a GOOD .358 or .366 barrel (if I can find one on sale) with a slow twist Ill just use that. I like the stock design and trigger guard but I dislike the engraving. It seems to gaudy for a firearm that is to be shot.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    - Ezra Pound

Thread Information