Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: From Pry-bar to Survival Knife

Got down to business this evening and did a little bench grinding. The steel is now more or less the shape i want it, its just going to need some filing and touching up.

After brushing and sanding down the steel it is actually just over 5mm thick... the final tang will probably be just under 5mm thick, which is a little more suitable for the size.

The cutting edge of the blade will be about 155mm, the finger choil and handle about 120mm together with an overall length of 275mm.

I also weighed the blade again and it clocked in at 329 grams... in other words ive already removed over 80 grams of steel from the starting slab!

Progress:

The tang is ready for hand-filling and soon ill start putting a grind on the blade.

Stay Tuned
    -sandvik_fan

banned

that will probably be the toughest knife in town! lol

looking good though dude, get busy tomorrow and finish it!

Loving this wip any aim for the final stock weight ?.
    Look forward to the next part as Samson says .
    (A goal is achieved through labor, not by desire only. As a deer by himself wouldn't enter the mouth of a sleeping lion.)

Filing and sanding done today... also drilled 6mm holes for the handles and lanyard. I plan on using some copper rods i have laying around to mount the handle scales. The blade itself ready for a grind

I imagine that the final weight of the stock should be somewhere around 250 grams, but ill find out eventually.

I also want to use micarta for the scales, but im going to have to order those along with some other knife building equipment for future projects. If i wind up getting impatient i might just use some teak wood i have lying around... this is a budget knife afterall, so theres no need to spend any real money on it.

For now, there still a bit of work that needs to be done.

The usual progress pics:

Stay Tuned
    -sandvik_fan

Will stay tuned.

Very nice, can't wait for more

looking good
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

http://buzzardbushcraft.blogspot.com/

whoaa

VIP Member

looking great so far mate, keep us posted!

Ronan

Brilliant some blue/black shade canvas micarta with white liners is what I'd do.
    Also are you going to leave the blade rough or polish it up ?.
    A 1200 grit with the scales ,and a miraculous transformation it will be nice one.
    The way you've done this wip is really informative, in the pictures you posted.
    I'm useless at being told how to
    do something,show me and ill get it.
    And the pics have answered some questions I've had.
    will be referencing them in the future I think.
    Last edited by Cultcollector; 25-04-13 at 02:18 AM.
    (A goal is achieved through labor, not by desire only. As a deer by himself wouldn't enter the mouth of a sleeping lion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cultcollector View Post
    The way you've done this wip is really informative, in the pictures you posted.
    I'm useless at being told how to
    do something,show me and ill get it.
    And the pics have answered some questions I've had.
    will be referencing them in the future I think.
    Thanks man. This thread is really as much about the process as the finished product. Funny, i was thinking blue/black micarta as well.

As for the finish on the blade, im not sure yet. Carbon Steel will oxidize with time, so i was thinking of putting a vinegar patina on it, but im gonna wait and see.

Like i mentioned earlier, i dont have a belt sander available right now... so puttting the grind on the blade will be done by hand with a file and sandpaper.

This might take a little time, but ill be back as soon as i can with more updates.

Stay Tuned
    -sandvik_fan

Back at it again. My plan is to give the knife a scandi-grind with an angle of about 20 degrees... the finshed edge will be more convex after a thourough sanding anyway. That is one benefit of grinding the blade by hand, you almost inevitably wind up putting a nice convex edge on the final product.

The filing jig i threw together is just an old cutting board and two shelf angles. I roughly calculated the angle to 10 degrees, and it seems to be working well so far, but i can always adjust the angle as i go along. I plan on leaving about 1mm on the edge for the heat treat, after which i will be sanding down the grind to the final bevel.

The fact that the stock is 5mm thick, it takes time to hand-file so much steel, and the grind is the one thing i really want to be perfect. I imagine it'll be a few days before the grind is done and the blade is ready for a heat treat... then we'll start to see what this steel is really made of

So far:

As always, more on the way, Stay Tuned
    -sandvik_fan

Looks great, Sir. Nice pics.

banned

that's a very smart filing jig bro! looking fine so far

After a few hours of filing work the rough grind is finished. It is a lot of steel to take off by hand, but the filing jig made it easy to be precise and efficient. With about 1 mm left on the edge, i still need to sand down the grind to give it a more convex profile. A few finishing touches aside, the stock is just about ready to be heat treated and tempered. Next step will of course be to clean up the blade and sand/polish the grind to put the (almost) final edge on the blade. Still curious to see what kind of an edge this steel takes, and how well it holds up

It looks as if the steel shines up really well when polished, however im going to put a patina on the entire stock, most likely by soaking it in vinegar for an hour. I dont really want to deal with constantly cleaning and polishing this knife once its done, and i think a greyish patina will give this knife a more rugged look anyway. The bevel will of course be re-sharpened and polished in the finishing touches, but i prefer the bulk of the blade have some kind of oxidation protection, i.e. patina.

Current weight of the stock is ~269 grams, so the finished knife will weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 250-300 grams. Fairly heavy to have on your belt perhaps, but certainly hefty enough for its intended purpose of chopping and batoning.

Still havent decided on the scales yet, but i will be placing an online order for a number of building bits within the next few days.

Pics of the rough grind first and then after a little light sanding:

More to come, Stay Tuned
    -sandvik_fan

Thread Information