Thread: Roselli Hunter

Roselli Hunter

I suppose I had better start off with a really warm hello first as I am a new member and this is my first attempt at passing on my opinions /findings.

So hello !

I have just purchased a Roselli hunter from www.Outdoorcode.co.uk ,first let me say what a great guy Andrew is,I found him to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable ,and the fact he answered the phone on a Sunday amazes me .
    I have tried a number of knives ranging from the Frosts ''clipper'' to the classic Mora to a Helle all of which I have bundled away in that drawer which hides many an ill advised/thought out must have {if your married ,you'll understand }.
    The main problem I have found is the handles ,for instance the classic Mora has a very useable blade but the handle hardly seems big enough for a child .
    The Roselli is a different beast ,when you first tear open the package in that ''under control excitement'' the first thing to comment on is the sheath,which is presented in a grain leather in natural colour ,thickness is approx 2.5mm .
    This hugs the knife snuggly around the handle in a Scandi type construction ,it also bears the makers name.
    Pulling the knife carefully from the sheath the pointed shape of the blade can be appreciated ,its 100mm long ,31mm wide at its base tapering off with a graceful curve to a murderous looking apex .
    This in my eyes is a beautiful piece of work ,the steel still holds onto to its forging scale which gives it a natural looking character ,similar to the Gransfor Brux image.
    The blade is 3mm at its base slowly thickening to 4mm at the start off the Scandi grind towards the tip , there is also a''Blood groove''on both sides of the blade running close to its spine ,I'm not entirely taken with this as it reminds me of the tree felling Bowie knives which to be fair look great on
    cowboys but lose their appeal as a useful item when actually used .
    Holding the knife you will be amazed by its feel ,it just feels strong ,I can't really explain why but I get this feeling I could carve through a hillside with this power hold ,the Curly Birch handle is 121mm long and 37mm wide at its base and 20mm thick,this gives a pleasent egg shape which sits extremely comfortable in the palm and giving tons of material for the fingers to really grip onto to .
    As the handle heads towards the blade the wood widens to 40mm thus allowing a finger guard of sorts this then tapers to a 35mm steel plate .the whole construction is of the best quality ,there are no defects in the wood which has an awesome curly grain and the fit between blade,plate and handle is perfect.
    This all said the general appearance can be touched up ever so slightly by gently removing the fine cross grain scratches left by the makers shaping the handle ,a rub with linseed oil brings out that grain even better.
    My first task with the knife was to remove that secondary bevel which seems to come as standard with most Scandi grind blades ,this was done carefully on a glass sheet using fine wet and dry ,its not the best task in the world especially on steel such as this, which has been hardened to HRC 59-62, and believe me this is hard when your trying to remove that bevel .
    Once the bevel has been removed { approx 1-2 hours of fun } the final edge can be gained easily with a little work on the waterstone then onto the loaded strop, at this point the edge no longer can be classed as being sharp ,one has to use fruitful language best not documented here to get near to expressing this edge ,its very good shall we say?.
    Okay now down to that inevitable wooden spoon which puts me in that peaceful world where theres only me,the wood and my knife ,no thoughts of work !.
    Again nothing but praises -the blade cuts fast and clean and as there is plenty of belly on the knife you can hold the blade at any point giving access to the sharp point for detail work,the gentle curve of the edge assists with the cut and as this curve continues all the way all areas of the edge are ideal,this becomes very apparent when the knife is required for fuzz sticks ,each and every slice curls perfectly and as the grip is so powerful and strong I found that the blade remained in the cut rather than jumping cuts and removing the fuzzes you have just made.
    I have yet to use the knife with a baton ,to be fair I may never do as I would rather use the hatchet which is designed to complete this task {my opinion only}.
    Like me I am sure you have read varying accounts on the hardness of these blades ,accounts of the blade snapping off at the tip when dropped on the pavement and its inability to flex whilst being used as a pry ,
    I have rationalised these reports in this way
    1/ knives are for descrete use only by those interested in a specific outdoors based pastime and for this reason have no place in the street where hard surfaces are the norm..
    2/ a knife is for cutting and slicing, to require it to double as a totally different tool i/e a pry bar is unreasonable especially if you, like myself have no access to lots of spare money .

In conclusion I would heartily recommend this knife to anyone as it achieves every necessary requirement for the person who loves general Bushcraft ,in answer to the question ''is it an ideal Bushcraft knife ?''I dont know ,but it is the ideal Bushcraft knife for me .

I doubt very much that this review has changed anyones opinion of this knife or indeed prompted a purchase ,but this was not my intention ,my intention was to express how chuffed I am with a really nice buy that makes me smile ,and to let folks know that Outdoorcode is a genuinely good dealer who not only knows his stuff but is friendly and willing to talk .[/IMG]
    Last edited by Mort; 14-02-06 at 06:40 PM.
    ''just because she say's you dont really need it does not necessarily mean you dont want it ...badly''

Re: Roselli Hunter

Good review and welcome.
    Piccies?
    The quiet scares me cause it screams the truth.

Nice write up Mort

Kane
    I ask people who grumble' he said, ' if they ever heard the story of John Travers Cornwell. ...

Sorry no piccies, i aint that computer literate yet.
    Though there should be soon as i'm in the middle of making a sheath for the Roselli,a challenge that appeals to me .

thanks for the reply's anyway
    ''just because she say's you dont really need it does not necessarily mean you dont want it ...badly''

Good review, I have one of the carpenter knives in UHC and they're great knives, clean and simple.
    Tarn arte quam marte

Welcome to bb Mort havnt read the review yet its so long and its 2:30am
    Will do in the morning.

R.I.P. My Friend.

Smile Re: Roselli Hunter

Hello Mort. Welcome to BB. Good review, looking forward to seeing the photos.
    "When Learned Men Begin To Use Their Reason, Then I Generally Discover That They Haven't Got Any."
    (G.K.Chesterton)

"Nothing Is Quite Like A Ham Custard Placed Up A Donkeys Bottom." (Danzofish Tm)

7/7/05 Proud to be a Londoner.

VIP Member
    Blog Entries

That is a nice review, Mort.

Nice review Mort. Welcome to BB. It seems we share the same opinion on
    prybars.

Thread Information