VIP Member

Fitting stainless steel bolsters to full tang knifes

Hi All

I would like to try my first bolster fitting to a full tang knife but I'm a little unsure of the process!

I've read a few tutorials on varying forums about pinning and peening the bolsters; which looks like a fairly simple process. However is this the only way as you can always see the pins after, even if it is ever so slightly. Is there a way of hiding the pins and say soldering the bolsters on?

I would also like to use stainless steel; can anyone tell me which stainless to use and where I can source a couple of pieces and matching pins so I can have a go? Does anyone use Ti for bolsters as this was my initial thought but I may be pushing my skills and wallet further than is reasonable.

I have 2 blades which a want to try this on, one in brass and one in stainless to see the difference in how the materials work for me.

Any advice on tutorials and sources of materials would be gratefully received

Thank you all for looking
    Matt

Maker

Re: Fitting stainless steel bolsters to full tang knifes

This is how I do it, if it's any help....

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...riveting/page2

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...foray.../page3

There are others around as I am sure you will be guided towards too....

VIP Member

Thanks Stu

I try using the search function and I never find what I'm looking for.

Love the you tube video that is some skilled hammering.

This may be a stupid question but does everyone pin and peen? Although there is obviously a load of skill in peening the pins in well I thought it would be far more complicated, such a heating and soldering.

Thanks for the links Stu they are both really informative. You used nickel silver in your you tube and I think 304 stainless in your thread, do you prefer or find either easier you work? and finally where can I get a small pieces,, enough for 2 knives as you obviously buy a much bigger bar than I would ever use?

Cheers
    Matt

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by ovid View Post
    Thanks Stu

I try using the search function and I never find what I'm looking for.

Love the you tube video that is some skilled hammering.

This may be a stupid question but does everyone pin and peen? Although there is obviously a load of skill in peening the pins in well I thought it would be far more complicated, such a heating and soldering.

Thanks for the links Stu they are both really informative. You used nickel silver in your you tube and I think 304 stainless in your thread, do you prefer or find either easier you work? and finally where can I get a small pieces,, enough for 2 knives as you obviously buy a much bigger bar than I would ever use?

Cheers
    Matt
    Hi Matt, I reckon many folk will all do it different ways mate, that way works for me... Some will solder, some use tapered holes, etc, etc, you don't need any of it... A snug fitting wire in nicely drilled parallel hole is all you need!

You may well fine it a little easier with NS as opposed SS purely because the wire will swell easier, the NS being softer...

Small pieces is never easy, I can fix you up with SS but for the NS I don't have enough just now myself, Jantz Supply are very good and you'll get NS extruded flat bar, which is the best, and wire to suit...

VIP Member

Thanks again Stu

Do the holes and the wire need to be the same size or are the holes in the blade a little bigger to allow the pins to swell?

When ever I find myself looking for knife making materials I'm always guided to American sites! there seems to be a gap in the market in the UK for this type of thing from G10 to bolsters why is no one in the UK supplying this stuff? That's probably an eternal question that doesn't need answering!

Cheers
    Matt

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by ovid View Post
    Thanks again Stu

Do the holes and the wire need to be the same size or are the holes in the blade a little bigger to allow the pins to swell?

When ever I find myself looking for knife making materials I'm always guided to American sites! there seems to be a gap in the market in the UK for this type of thing from G10 to bolsters why is no one in the UK supplying this stuff? That's probably an eternal question that doesn't need answering!

Cheers
    Matt
    I suppose I'd describe it as a loose resistance fit, gentle tapping with a small hammer to feed the wire through your three sections...

Probably not enough market to warrant holding the stock...

VIP Member

Give Richard a call at Barmond international for bolster material, he sells two sizes of 416 SS which should see you right with most builds. Mick Wardle's Ebay store has a wide selection of NS in small sizes, he also sells excellent Buffalo horn should you every wish to try that (stinks up but finishes great), also sells D2.

Its hard when you first start off finding places for materials and tools, I agree the US has many options but there are a few dedicated individuals in the UK that do there bit to keep us in steel and tools not to mention a great selection of Woods.

No affiliation and so on with the to above just very grateful for there time

VIP Member

Thanks tatsumi

I'll give them a look out.

Matt

Maker

You can do blind pinning, but this is trick and requires very fine measurements.
    Work hard, play hard, always put your family first and write your own story.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Co...59423150743444+
    Instagram - la_combre_knives

VIP Member

Hi Tim

Got any resource I can check out regarding blind pinning. Probably more than I need currently however if this first couple go well I'm interested in learning all that I can. I've been interested in all aspects of forging and knife work for a good few years but never had the facilities.

Times change and my workshop is almost sorted, forge will be with me by beginning of March and I'm building a grinder at the moment so I now have the need to learn and try out as much as I can.

banned

Rob Brown has world-wide rep...........his bolster work is stunning, I've only seen one other maker come close.

His way of making/pinning may possibly not be the way you're able to, but this vid may give you a good idea...

http://www.robbrownknives.com/tutorials/bolsters/

VIP Member

As long as you use the same grade material for pin and bolster you shouldn't see the pins.

Be careful with 416 as it might need hardening before it becomes stainless. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will be along soon.

I have used brass, 304 stainless and grade 5 Ti and with no problems and no visible pins and I am no expert at bolsters.

Have your bolsters close to finished but with enough material left to grind out any hammer marks you make. Dont put your pins too near the edge (front edge in particular) as the swelling of the bolster might show after you hammer the pins.

Another useful tip I read but haven't tried is to scrape/grind/dremel a few thou off the back of the bolster except at the edges - so the edges clamp down tight with no gap.
    Last edited by pieinthesky; 18-02-14 at 11:31 AM.

VIP Member

Thanks for the help guys.

The Rob Brown demo is pretty full on and maybe a little advanced for my first attempt but some really good info. I like the shaped bolster with the tail that looks pretty cool. The advice on pin location is something I was looking for.

Cheers
    Matt

Thread Information