Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spyderco Pacific Salt review

I have had this knife for some months now and have held off writing a review until I'd used it for a while.

I could have saved myself the wait and written this after a few days, because my first impressions of the knife were excellent and my view has only become more positive with added experience.

The Pacific Salt is a large knife - the blade is just under 4" long and the handle is a shade under 5" long. Despite the dimensions, the knife is very light at only 3oz, and the weight is almost imperceptible in practical use - once clipped into my pocket I can't tell I'm carrying it. I chose a Yellow PE model (C91 YL, for reference) for ease of visibilty - I've lost too many subtly coloured knives in the past! The Pacific Salt is very similar to the Endura model, with a slightly more rounded tip. Of course, the main difference is the H1 stainless blade, which - according to Spyderco, my own experience, and every other review I've read of this knife - will not rust.

I've used this knife as I use most of my knives, mainly for fishing and hunting. However, I've also used it to prepare several meals from scratch - peeling and slicing vegetables, trimming and boning meat - and it has performed impeccably. It is a great fishing knife and I've prepared bait and filleted the resulting catch with no problems, and no worry about any possible corrosion from salt water. It has also been used as a hunting knife and has gralloched, skinned and butchered several deer and one sheep (no, I didn't hunt the sheep).

The knife was shaving sharp out of the box, and it is still shaving sharp. I am struggling to remember if I've ever needed to sharpen it over the last 3 months. I think I may have given it a few strokes on the Sharpmaker once, but the edge retention has been quite incredible despite a considerable amount of practical use. H1 steel is reported to work-harden with sharpening, but it is a high quality steel to start with and I have no complaints with its performance.

The knife feels light in the hand, but is deceptively sturdy and workmanlike. It locks up tight and there is no horizontal or vertical play in the blade. The oversized Spyderhole is designed to be used with gloved fingers, but also makes it exceptionally easy to open single-handed. The clip is set for right hand carry and since I am right-handed and the knife usually sits clipped inside my right front pocket, I haven't needed to change it. The FRN handle fits my hand nicely and the "hump" at the back of the blade provides a solid thumb-rest.

The ultimate real-world test of a knife is how much you find yourself using it. Every time I've been fishing or shooting since I bought this knife, it has come with me and has been used as a primary carry or a back-up. In addition, I've chosen to use it for several butchering and meat preparation jobs simply because it is practical and easy to keep clean. I don't worry about the knife rusting when used in salt water conditions or when covered in blood, and it also fits in to the price range (about $55-$60) where I don't worry about using it or losing it. If I were to lose it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I suspect that the Salt 1, which has a similar blade shape but is a touch smaller, would be an equally good choice for most applications in a slightly smaller package - I have one on order and will report on that in due course. No complaints about the Pacific Salt - it's done everything I have asked of it and impressed me in the process.

The bottom line? The Spyderco Pacific Salt is close to being the perfect all-round knife for fishing, hunting and food preparation - and above all, it's a user.

--Neil

Re: Spyderco Pacific Salt review

Good review Neil, thanks for that.
    I may live in Kent but I'm not a SSSDB

i havebeen thinking of one of these as the " boat knife" sometimes a filet knife is a bit too slim....

55 dollars is cheap... where from?
    Dave
    Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its ways or live a lie.~ Miyamoto Musashi.

The path to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant~ Musashi

The man who,lives with no forgiveness in his heart is really already dead. ~ Nakayama

Nice one Neil
    Check out the BB Website under "Production Folders"....
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Barker
    i havebeen thinking of one of these as the " boat knife" sometimes a filet knife is a bit too slim....

55 dollars is cheap... where from?
    Good choice for a boat knife.

New Graham has them listed for $53 and a quick search of the well-know auction site ending in -bay shows some from reputable sellers at around $49 plus shipping.

--Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Basemetal
    Nice one Neil
    Check out the BB Website under "Production Folders"....
    Duly checked - cheers!

Trader

Hhm, does look like one I might like to own, just a shame about the handle!

Nice review.

I could see onme of these riding in the leg pocket of my drysuit .

Dunc

Are they rivets in the handle ? can you strip it down ?

Dunc

Quote Originally Posted by dunc5
    Are they rivets in the handle ? can you strip it down ?

Dunc
    It doesn't appear to be designed to be stripped down. It's pretty easy to clean, there aren't many bits that couldn't be reached by a pressure washer.

-- Neil

Quote Originally Posted by trixx
    It doesn't appear to be designed to be stripped down. It's pretty easy to clean, there aren't many bits that couldn't be reached by a pressure washer.

-- Neil
    That could be a good thing for me , i tend to fiddle a bit

Dunc

Quote Originally Posted by dunc5
    That could be a good thing for me , i tend to fiddle a bit

Dunc
    You can always tell a Sebenza owner by the way he fiddles with his tool.

--Neil

Quote Originally Posted by trixx
    You can always tell a Sebenza owner by the way he fiddles with his tool.

--Neil
    Yep and no matter how much you fiddle with it , it always remains solid

Dunc

Dunc, you NEED one of these.

I carry a yellow handled one in my drysuit pocket when we go out on the boat - and I use a black handled one in the kitchen.
    I find that this folder works really well in the kitchen. The blade is protected and you can just bung it in the kitchen drawer, you don't have to worry about boxing it to protect the edge.
    I wash mine in the sink with the other dishes. I have found it to be fine hygiene-wise - it is very easy to clean.

A Spyderco folding H1 Santoku chef's knife would be nice..

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyman
    Dunc, you NEED one of these.

I carry a yellow handled one in my drysuit pocket when we go out on the boat - and I use a black handled one in the kitchen.
    I find that this folder works really well in the kitchen. The blade is protected and you can just bung it in the kitchen drawer, you don't have to worry about boxing it to protect the edge.
    I wash mine in the sink with the other dishes. I have found it to be fine hygiene-wise - it is very easy to clean.

A Spyderco folding H1 Santoku chef's knife would be nice..
    Thanks mate this ones gone to the top of my list and its gonna happen in the next couple of weeks .

Dunc

Thread Information