Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25,601
    Rep Power
    126

    Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    For them as like such things, here’s a small lookaround a Queen half congress I came across a while ago. It is in stag and D2 and is 4” closed.

    I was quite surprised to find this, though that doesn’t really mean very much in terms of its actual rarity . It is just very handsome and I have been looking for something like this for some time.



    I thought at first it might be as Queen-branded by-product, as it were, of the sambar congresses that Queen made for Northwoods several years ago. I had one of those but found it rather bulky and, day to day, I couldn’t (and still can’t) imagine a need for two sheepsfoot blades and two pen blades. So that one moved on to a good home. However, the ˝ congress is something like an ideal for me, and I love the swayback handle and the way it sits just so in the hand.



    That aside, this one may well be a side effect of Northwoods,, but what puts me off that idea on further inspection is the astonishingly handy penblade this thing has. My other Queen ˝ congress (in that kattomeat looking wood – birdseye maple ) has a longer and much straighter blade. It is very adequate, but his one feels and acts like a cross between a pen and a spey – which is just right. It is oriented just right too, slightly offset from the midline of the knife.



    Anyway, it is very pretty and I am very happy with it.

    Here (below) you can see the reason for the extra slip of brass at the bolster ends which had come up in earlier posts. Still don’t know what it called though


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wellingborough
    Age
    61
    Posts
    5,048
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Lovely knife Noddy. I love the swell you get in the handle when stag is used rather than the flatter handles you get with wood, makes for a nicer grip in the hand.
    "A stockbroker is someone who invests your money until it's all gone" Woody Allen.

  3. #3
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    10,450
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    I don't like etching on blades but otherwise that's a great looking knife
    "How the hell did I end up with all this stuff???? "

  4. #4
    Maker
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury, Bucks.
    Posts
    21,465
    Rep Power
    120

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    If I look past the stag, I like it! I often just see stag and get piut off the knife, forgetting to not judge a book by its cover.

    Slap something different on it and I would enjoy carrying that. Certainly looks versatile enough.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Here (below) you can see the reason for the extra slip of brass at the bolster ends which had come up in earlier posts. Still don’t know what it called though
    I would have thought the extra brass slip (shim?) should be the other side of the long blade, so that it folds parallel to the liners instead of having to lie diagonally.

  6. #6
    Maker
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury, Bucks.
    Posts
    21,465
    Rep Power
    120

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
    I would have thought the extra brass slip (shim?) should be the other side of the long blade, so that it folds parallel to the liners instead of having to lie diagonally.
    It allows for the overall package to be thinner.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    It allows for the overall package to be thinner.
    Same thickness, surely? Either way there's a blade and a shim in between the liners.

  8. #8
    Maker
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury, Bucks.
    Posts
    21,465
    Rep Power
    120

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
    Same thickness, surely? Either way there's a blade and a shim in between the liners.
    O
    Nope. To sit parallel thr re would be two blade thicknesses plus the spacer between. This is just one blade thickness plis the spacer. You would also need a second spring.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    460
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    It's not just me who doesn't like stag. Phew! I must say the few times I have seen stag and liked it is on trad folders. I don't own a Queen yet, but I know I will make the move one day. The country cousin looks like a good place to start.
    Last edited by Incensedmatt; 08-02-15 at 12:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25,601
    Rep Power
    126

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    I don't like etching on blades ...
    Those Queen etches don't last two minutes ... first time they see a bit of scotchbrite they are off!

    Didn't realize there was an anti-stag lobby Long fancied a stag stockman, but never seen the one I actually want .. I expect the right one will turn up though Once or twice I have seen an unbadged Fightin' Rooster version but they have been too small or the right size but stupidly priced ... which is sad
    Last edited by Noddy; 08-02-15 at 03:53 PM.

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,399
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    A fine find Nod. I only recently noticed the Northfield UN-X-LD Half Congress I have also has a sway back - it adds a whole new layer of 'Ooh' to it!
    Speak softly and carry a large bladed tool

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    O
    Nope. To sit parallel thr re would be two blade thicknesses plus the spacer between. This is just one blade thickness plis the spacer. You would also need a second spring.
    This what I mean in the top sketch compared to the lower one where one blade needs to sit at an angle. Either way the thickness between the two liners is one blade plus one shim at each end. Not sure what you'd do with the spring, do twin blades normally use a double-ended spring?


  13. #13
    Maker
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Aylesbury, Bucks.
    Posts
    21,465
    Rep Power
    120

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
    This what I mean in the top sketch compared to the lower one where one blade needs to sit at an angle. Either way the thickness between the two liners is one blade plus one shim at each end. Not sure what you'd do with the spring, do twin blades normally use a double-ended spring?

    Your sketch suggests that the spacer is the same thickness at the spavcer, which it isnt.

    Twin blades like the one in the OP would use one spring. One in your sketch would use two.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    25,601
    Rep Power
    126

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Here adding a couple of pics I took today comparing blades on the birdseye maple and the stag versions of this half congress Queen made





    slimmer, as you see


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Shelbyville,Kentucky
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Queen Half Congress lookee lookee

    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Those Queen etches don't last two minutes ... first time they see a bit of scotchbrite they are off!

    Didn't realize there was an anti-stag lobby Long fancied a stag stockman, but never seen the one I actually want .. I expect the right one will turn up though Once or twice I have seen an unbadged Fightin' Rooster version but they have been too small or the right size but stupidly priced ... which is sad
    Noddy, Hello there ! (I haven't been on BBF for some time.) Being on the wrong side of time zone I was always by myself. Hope you are well, I recognized you from my time on here a few years ago.I saw the Half Congress and remembered a Case half-congress I had rehandled in amber stag and filed. It was a great EDC but I gave it away to a friend for taking me fishing at Kentucky Lake. I keep an eye out for one all the time now to replace it. Cheers to you !

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •