Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puukko & leuku

Re: Puukko & leuku

Very well executed! Great work.

I'm a fan of the classic waisted leuku with a fishtail pommel. I think it might be hard getting a three finger grip on that large leuku.

Also, that is a large signature. Might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Beutiful knifes, very nice made.

But no one is a leuku (Sami chopper). They are "only" well made and very nice "big knifes".

If those big knifes had a big pommel, they would be Leukus (Sami choppers). The pommel is there for a reason and the reason is very important for the function of this type of knife. Without the big pommel, they are not Sami choppers (leukus).

The Sami people invented choppers (Leukus) and they also design it. It is a traditional old type of knife designed out of needs and function. If you like yo make a Sami chopper you must also follow the design for it. If you dont do this - it is not a Sami chopper, it is something else.

Leuku is the Finish word for a Sami chopper. In the Sami languish the name is "stora Niibi". In Scandinavian languish the name is "Same huggare" and in English the name is "Sami chopper".

The name Leuku is a Finish word only used in Finland, by the Finish people. Nothing wrong about that - but few people outside Finland understand this word - exept members of BB . If you are in Sweden or Norway and say leuku - no one knows what the word means.

Hard words - but a forum about Scandinavian knifes must understand this becouse our knifes are designed for our type of climate, out type of wood, our type of games and fish - and our type of traditional needs. I think we shall take care about old designs and functions of special types of traditional knifes so that future generations understands what a Sami chopper really was and how it works.

If you search on Google pictures for Lekus and study the pictures there, you can still find some pictures of real Leukus - but the majority of the pictures shows other types of knifes - but they are named Leukus. In 25 years from today, the traditional design and understanding of how this knife work are probebly more or less forgotten....

A Sami chopper (leuku) are designed from use and need for the Sami people that lives north of the arctic circle and are in use the complete year, but mostly traditional used during the winter.

I have carry, and use, this type of knife sins the sixties and I still use them, but I do not carry a Sami chopper daily any more.

This is my Sami chopper, notice the sice of the pommel

In some type of use I hold the handle only with my little finger and let the rest of the handle "slide" inside my hand yo stear the precison of the chopping.

I can use this knife with grows on and it stay in my hand.

I can work dor houers with this handle in my hand, also in rain, when my hand is fullmogna blood and animal fat - and it never slide out of my hand when the hand is cold or tierd from the work.

This is the needs of a Sami Chopper.

In the same time, my chopper have a little different blade shape and blade thickness. But it is still a Sami Chopper. The handle and the pommel is more important for this knifes type of use then the blade thickness and blade length.

That means that if you compare my Sami chopper with a Stromeng Sami chopper you will recognice the handle (short and a big pommel) but the blade shape differs.

You will also se that Stromeng have Sami choppers in different blade length. My Sami chopper had 22 cm blade length to start with - but the blade length today are 20 cm = 2 cm of the blade length have been grinded away during the years.

Thomas

Thread Information