Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Best 2nd hand air rifle under 300?

Thanks for all the advice - I have joined AirgunBBS so I will start having a look over there for a HW - and keep my eye open on here too. All sound advice on the other thread too, I will have good read through all the posts.

The Walther Terrus seems to get good reviews too.

Scope wise, what will work well on a reasonable budget with a second hand springer set up?

shame your not this way I know of a hw80 with scope for 120

VIP Member

+1 for the air arms s200, though I know a lot of people do it I've never been keen on shooting any game with an air rifle.

I assume that this is max 12FTLBS, right?

The 77/97/35 and 80 are way sturdier than the rest of the Weihrauch lineup.

The 77&97 stand alone in terms of solidness, there are IMO no stronger spring piston rifles. With the 77 you also get great open sights! Another advantage of the 77 and 97 is that there are tons of after market bits and bops available! In 12 FTlbs I would go for .20 (5mm)

Walther LGV and LGU. Are also very strong contenders.

AA Prosport and TX200. They shoot slightly better of the box than the 77 and 97 but in the solidness department they do not come close. Also forget AA if you ever want to upgrade to FAC.

PCP; I would go for the s400 or s200 , some of the very few budget PCP's that are also good quality.

HW90, I would not touch it with a long pole. These guns give lots of trouble, especially in FAC. They don't just have a gas ram, but they are technically totally different from the other HWs.

If I could own only one spring gun, it would be the HW77: A complete no-brainier for me. I have owned mine for over 20 years and have fired over 50K shots with it!

About vibration, twang and accuracy: all the above mentioned springers have a negligible amount of this in 12FTLBS. Remember that with PCPs you will need charging gear and they can leak.....

If this is your first airgun, then I would say springer all the way! I own 5 PCPs and would always have a spring piston as a backup!
    Last edited by Blackthunder; 13-02-17 at 11:24 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Best 2nd hand air rifle under 300?

Any of the HW range will last for years if not abused too badly, I have a HW90 that I gave 100 for, It came with a scope and slip and is one of the smoothest guns I own, Someone took the time to fit a tuning kit which makes a hell of a difference to standard fodder

It's butt ugly as the cylinder had been painted and the barrel wrapped with imitation carbon fibre wrap, Probably being due to it being a workhorse!! (No Blueing left!!)..

I refinished the stock as it was a sickly yellow/tan colour, It's now a sickly browm/grey colour!!

And as it was!

If you'll be carrying the gun on a shoot then i'd recommend a 95, the other full sized HW's tend to make your arms ache from carrying whilst hunting but would be fine if sat in a hide..

The 98 is a heavy burger!, I'm certain that it's heavier that the 80 due to the bull barrel!

If you was to go for a HW35 (My faves!!) then a little test is the hold the pistol grip with one hand and drop the forestock in to your other hand to stop it sharply, If all is OK on the lockup then the action will stay closed, If it opens then there will be wear at the pawl or a weak spring..

For 300 you should be able to have your pick of the springers but would probably get a PCP kit such as a Hatsan, Webley Raider or similar, I've both and whilst they both shoot OK, The Hatsan has dubious build qualities, It's the luck of the draw with them!!

Good luck with your quest!!

John
    see my gunz bonzai and watchez here.
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey0 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice - I have joined AirgunBBS so I will start having a look over there for a HW - and keep my eye open on here too. All sound advice on the other thread too, I will have good read through all the posts.

The Walther Terrus seems to get good reviews too.

Scope wise, what will work well on a reasonable budget with a second hand springer set up?
    For a descent quality, budget scope: the way to go is fixed power. High magnifications need quality glass, and are for most hunting applications impractical. Variable power is a nice thing, but will like for like always be weaker, have less light transmission and be more expensive.

I would go for a 4x32 or 6x42. I like Bushnell scopes a lot. http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-710432.html

A bit more expensive are scopes from Sightron and Burris.

Also don't forget your mounts! They are often times the weakest link. I would go for one a piece Sportmatch 4 screw model with stop pin.

PS: I am not suggesting that above mentioned scope brands are the only good scope brands, it is just that I have good experiences with them.
    Last edited by Blackthunder; 17-02-17 at 09:43 PM.

Thread Information