Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New UK legal folder from SOG

What does everyone think about the SOG Terminus? Says its 3" blade with an unusual slip joint mechanism. Thoughts?
    http://www.sogknives.com/terminus-black.html

VIP Member

Re: New UK legal folder from SOG

Useful blade shape but why you'd have jimping on the top of a non-locking blade I'm not sure?
    "How the hell did I end up with all this stuff???? "

Looks interesting. It appears to have a deep-carry pocket clip which is not that common on slipjoints, Spyderco excepted. I think I'd like it better without the coating on the blade though.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by C.T.A.K.C View Post
    What does everyone think about the SOG Terminus? Says its 3" blade with an unusual slip joint mechanism. Thoughts?
    http://www.sogknives.com/terminus-black.html
    Have you any more info on this 'unusual slip joint mechanism' because I can't see/find it?

My thoughts; that finger guard looks too small, without having a finger shaped 'cut out' in the scales, it's not going to be much use. Personally I don't like rectangular shaped handles period, much rather something that's been designed to fit in the hand, I do like the jimping on top of the blade though.

VIP Member

I'd like to see it in pieces, how exactly does that bar spring into place etc. I like the fact that there isn't a backspring, open design is good in my book.

VIP Member

"I'd like to see it in pieces, how exactly does that bar spring into place etc. I like the fact that there isn't a backspring, open design is good in my book."

Think of an axis lock, the blade tang on this one will be shaped to not lock completely. A bit - or quite a lot looking at the video - of pressure and the lock bar can move out of full engagement but still keeping contact with the tang to give a detente at or near the end of it's travel. At least that's how I think it works.

I thought at first it was going to be like the system SanRenMu uses on some of their slip joints where the liners bear on the tang with a ball bearing on both sides on full open and closed but only one side at the half stop (and sometimes in the closed position as well.

SOG have an interesting design there.

I am very interested to see this folder in bits too. I would like to have a look at how it works as I'm designing a UK legal folding mechanism myself and I like seeing folding mechanisms that aren't too common. From Jeffs video I think the finger choil doesn't look big enough (looks too pinchy) The lock allows for a flow through design of the handle liners so why not enlarge the choil so it extends out of the handle when closed, making it a flipper?

Maker

Looks like the designer got bored when he got to the front of the handle. What happened?

VIP Member

The mechanism looks very similar to the PITS but with the springs cut into the liners.

I agree with stew on the scales - maybe it is so there is no ambiguity when you measure 3 inches.

VIP Member

I like the clips that extend over the end of the scales because they ride so deep and attract less attention. The liong mah journeyer had a very deep clip like this but the screw holding it in place got in the way.
    Other than that though, I would want a choil and OHO I think. I only got my first OHO knife last year and now I cant do without, it's so convenient to open it while your other hand is engaged and if the knife I'm carrying only has a nail nick I just don't bother for some tasks as it would be a pain (or I'm just far to lazy?)

Quote Originally Posted by roscotanna View Post
    I like the clips that extend over the end of the scales because they ride so deep and attract less attention.
    Unfortunately this clip is not quite as inconspicuous as it could be: it has a big SOG logo pierced through it.

Interesting and good to see more edc designs. But if you are going with tactical styling, needs oho

VIP Member

That's true, but it's dark and reasonably small so it's better than having the top of the scales poking out of your pocket... I think?

I don't like the cut out on the scales. It should either be further forward so that you can choke up on the choil or further back so that you can get at the nail nick. Where they have put it just looks wrong to me, like the scales don't go with the blade.

Nevertheless it seems to be a nice solid slip joint and I like it for that.

Thread Information