Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Little big tents

After a brief bump in the road, and a change of path, relationship-wise I find myself with someone interested in the idea of going camping, and actively pushing that.

My current tent is a Terra Nova Voyager ultralight, which is pretty spacious for one, doable with two (with discipline), but possibly a bit too much of a squeeze when you're trying to get someone back into camping, if the weather is poo.

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent tent for two people with kit and admin / cooking space.

Ideally it should be:

- At least tall enough to sit up for someone six foot tall
    - Fit two people, with room for kit in the main sleeping section (a daysack each, minimum). It's likely it'll have a double air bed in.
    - Admin space for cooking / chilling out - this can just be a sloped porch that covers the cooking etc whilst you're sat in the main section, or something more.

Bonus points if it is 'luggable' - doesn't have to be super lightweight, but it would be preferred if it was portable, or had a relatively small pack size. However, as this will likely be used for car camping, I'd take comfort / space against lightweight, so consider this a secondary requirement.

Cost wise, I'd appreciate a few options. Budget option would be appreciated, to check she's into it. At the same time, I'd be curious to see what else is out there if I'm going to spend a bit of cash.

Re: Little big tents

Take a look at the Terra Nova / Wild Country range Rob. I've a Zephyros I and II for carrying depending on if it's just me, or me and the dog as well as an Etesian 4 for car camping and a bit of comfort and space. Also check out their sales as there is an Hoolie 3 going for 133 posted to your door that might suit you nicely.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-an...-used-grade-a/

I've used their sales tents and always been more than pleased with the quality and condition.

VIP Member

Nice one chief. Any experience with the Hoolie? Looks like a better version of the cheap ones I have already, which might do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by minds_eye View Post
    Nice one chief. Any experience with the Hoolie? Looks like a better version of the cheap ones I have already, which might do the job.
    None, but I rate the Wild Country tents I do have and it looks like it might tick all the boxes for you.

Administrator

Another vote for Wild Country tents. The Aspect range are very good indeed.
    "our music is so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy

VIP Member

With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent tent for two people with kit and admin / cooking space.

Ideally it should be:

- At least tall enough to sit up for someone six foot tall
    - Fit two people, with room for kit in the main sleeping section (a daysack each, minimum). It's likely it'll have a double air bed in.
    - Admin space for cooking / chilling out - this can just be a sloped porch that covers the cooking etc whilst you're sat in the main section, or something more.
    I've been using a Vango Omega 350 tent for a few years now, it certainly covers those points that you mention well for me.
    It does weigh just over 5kg so it's not a backpackers tent I'd say, I mainly carry it on the back of a motorcycle so the weight isn't really an issue, I did consider the 250 version but there's a bit less headroom for a six foot person to sit under.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-om...h-tent-p140004

VIP Member

If you are ok car camping then Bell Tent is the way to go, plenty of space to move around and stand up, you can add stove if required, there's a range of weight and price options I bought one from Soulpad.co.uk

http://soulpad.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by earthman View Post
    I've been using a Vango Omega 350 tent for a few years now, it certainly covers those points that you mention well for me.
    It does weigh just over 5kg so it's not a backpackers tent I'd say, I mainly carry it on the back of a motorcycle so the weight isn't really an issue, I did consider the 250 version but there's a bit less headroom for a six foot person to sit under.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-om...h-tent-p140004
    Yep. I'd add that to the list as well. I had one before I settled on the Wild Country and it also saw me through some nasty wind and rain.

VIP Member

Cool. Thanks folks.

I've found the Hoolie 3 for 115 and the cheapest I can find the Omega for is 150 (at the link above). Will have a read around.

Aliwren:

Thanks. I like the soulpads, but they're not quite packable enough for me at the mo'. A big issue is that my living space is 2.5 meters x 4 meters, so I was a bit worried about drying them out after use ^_^
    Last edited by minds_eye; 11-02-17 at 08:49 PM.

Not so little but a classic...Vango Force Ten

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

VIP Member

Cool. Thanks folks.

I've found the Hoolie 3 for 115 and the cheapest I can find the Omega for is 150 (at the link above). Will have a read around.

Aliwren:

Thanks. I like the soulpads, but they're not quite packable enough for me at the mo'. A big issue is that my living space is 2.5 meters x 4 meters, so I was a bit worried about drying them out after use ^_^
    I paid 90 for mine at a camping show, that were a few years ago though.

If/when I need to replace it, I fancy trying the Coleman Coastline plus range, similar design but the front also opens/lifts up, that would provide good shade on those sunny days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Coa...astline+3+plus

Quote Originally Posted by earthman View Post
    I paid 90 for mine at a camping show, that were a few years ago though.

If/when I need to replace it, I fancy trying the Coleman Coastline plus range, similar design but the front also opens/lifts up, that would provide good shade on those sunny days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Coa...astline+3+plus
    Digressing from the OP, but Coleman tents are reputed not to be anywhere near as weatherproof as they claim.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
    Not so little but a classic...
    Love my F10s (I think I have 3 or 4 variations) but they are heavy and the space is all down low. Not going to be comfortable for someone tall to be sitting up.

edit: bit left field but these Khyam tents have a good bit of space without being massive IMO. Marketed for bikers but would be a very comfortable 2 person tent with covered 'living' space.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/khyam-biker-tent.html
    Last edited by gregs656; 11-02-17 at 09:16 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not to his own facts" -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

VIP Member

I bought a Vango Halo 200 in the autumn, not had a chance to use it in anger yet but have set it up and it's very spacious. Good height, a 6 footer can sit up with lots of space above the head. Can be accessed from either end and both ends have storage space.

Mine came from eBay seller nearlynewtents who seems to only sell ex display Vango stuff at quite good prices. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/nearlynewt...53.m2749.l2754

VIP Member

Just spotted that Millets have the Vango Halo 300 (3 person) for 140.

Thread Information