Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best shock proof 18650 light?

Hello. I am in a search for such a torch. The main features that are needed:
    Shock & impact resistant.
    18650 rechargeable.
    logically priced. An unknown Chinese brand (but proofed one) is also ok.
    Thank you very much - Michael.

Re: Best shock proof 18650 light?

Hi Michael
    I've had a Fenix PD35 for a couple of years used daily and dropped regularly
    Great piece of kit, 18650s available on Amazon for a ew quid, allied to a Nitecore charger and you are good to go
    Plenty of levels, and bright enough to keep me safe on unlit rural lanes at night with the dog

Take care
    Graham

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steinmann View Post
    Hello. I am in a search for such a torch. The main features that are needed:
    Shock & impact resistant.
    18650 rechargeable.
    logically priced. An unknown Chinese brand (but proofed one) is also ok.
    Thank you very much - Michael.
    What do you mean by "shock proof" ?
    dropping from a height?
    To be attached to a 12 bore shotgun?
    To be used by children?
    I make and sell Paracord knife lanyards, dog leads, bracelets, neck lanyards and more. Feel free to PM me for more info.
    Essexman Paracord Products now available at HH
    https://instagram.com/essexman_paracord/

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    What do you mean by "shock proof" ?
    dropping from a height?
    To be attached to a 12 bore shotgun?
    To be used by children?
    First, thanks for any reply.
    By "shockproof" I mean falling to the ground by accident, ca. 1 meter height.

I use a Solarforce L2m, 18650, with an Eagtac triple drop in every day for work. Have the stainless steel bezel and a switch with a rim (i.e. the switch / boot is recessed, and therefore protected). The exposed switch broke when dropped on it, the ss crenellated switch caught on everything and was a 'mare.

I try not to (!) but I have dropped it a few times; no problems at all since the recessed switch went on. A truly excellent work-horse.

I once left my magnetic Solarforce L2L attached to my m/cycle frame after a service, by mistake. I found it on a roundabout, in shocking cosmetic condition but still working.

Maker

What is your budget ? I have used a Fenix TK16 for the last 18 months or so and it has proved brilliant, so good I have no plans to change it .. which is unusual for me. Around 70.

VIP Member

I have just got a torch with an 18650 battery from a car boot but no charger. I see a Nitecore charger was mentioned, anyone recommend a good but inexpensive charger?
    The mathematics of regret, two beers to remember, five to forget!

Maker

Nitecore i2 or i4 is good vfm.

Red Card

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I have just got a torch with an 18650 battery from a car boot but no charger. I see a Nitecore charger was mentioned, anyone recommend a good but inexpensive charger?
    The Olight Magnetic USB charger is pretty good for any rechargeable battery. I got two from eBay for 17. Worth a look.

Out of interest, what kind of battery is in the torch?

Let's see it!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisinHove View Post
    I once left my magnetic Solarforce L2L attached to my m/cycle frame after a service, by mistake. I found it on a roundabout, in shocking cosmetic condition but still working.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steinmann View Post
    First, thanks for any reply.
    By "shockproof" I mean falling to the ground by accident, ca. 1 meter height.
    OK. the main reason modern LED lights fail from shock is the electronic parts breaking off the circuit board. The best way to stop this happening is to cover the parts in "potting" which is like a glue. This fixes all the parts in place and protects them against shock. Most makes don't do this as it costs money.

There is a guy in the UK who has a small webstore. He builds lights to order and mods LED lights. One service he provides is potting the electronics on a build.

I know this because he beat the crap out of one such light to test it. Afterwards he kindly gave the light away, I won it. Externally its bashed and looks terrible, but it works fine.

Contact James at www.3Tronics.co.uk
    I make and sell Paracord knife lanyards, dog leads, bracelets, neck lanyards and more. Feel free to PM me for more info.
    Essexman Paracord Products now available at HH
    https://instagram.com/essexman_paracord/

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    The Olight Magnetic USB charger is pretty good for any rechargeable battery. I got two from eBay for 17. Worth a look.

Out of interest, what kind of battery is in the torch?
    As in the manufacturer? Not sure. There appears to be no markings but the outside is a light to mid blue colour and it doesn't fit into a space created for CR123 batteries. Sorry but this is my first (accidental) foray into rechargeables!
    The mathematics of regret, two beers to remember, five to forget!

Red Card

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    As in the manufacturer? Not sure. There appears to be no markings but the outside is a light to mid blue colour and it doesn't fit into a space created for CR123 batteries. Sorry but this is my first (accidental) foray into rechargeables!
    These. They fit any battery, even NiMh 1.2v. But they'll only charge one at a time.

https://olightworld.com/store/flashl...b-charger.html

Always wanted a SureFire ... not sure I could tell you why exactly ... but I always have looked quizzically at the prices.

Why so much? They don't seem very flexible, with just one or two light levels. Lamps don't seem special (but I am not expert there). Is it dropability you are paying for in the end?

Red Card

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Always wanted a SureFire ... not sure I could tell you why exactly ... but I always have looked quizzically at the prices.

Why so much? They don't seem very flexible, with just one or two light levels. Lamps don't seem special (but I am not expert there). Is it dropability you are paying for in the end?
    Like Maglite, they didn't change with the times. Surefire still appeal to the USA national stalwarts because they're US manufactured. However, I'm very certain the LEDs and possibly other components are sourced from China.

I really never got the Surefire thing, owned one and passed it on. Eagletac and Zebralight have American bases but make no secret of it.

Those diehard US Spydie, Kershaw, Benchmade fans etc have their heads in the sand.

Thread Information