Well I am new here !

Hi Guys, I am new to the forum, and yet another daft "forged in fire" have a go hero, with lots of daft questions for you all.
    No experience in forging metal, but I am an experienced welder so I do understand a little about metal, now I want to learn some basic skills.

Youtube has lots of advice from plenty of idiots, so I thought I would join a forum and ask real people with real knowledge.

So here is what I have tried so far, I bought a thermolite block from local DIY shop, drilled a 3 inch hole down the middle of the length of it, bought a cheapo gas burner off ebay and a 0 - 4bar propane reguator, drilled a hole at around 45degree into the block and put the burner though that.

I started very small with a 6 inch bit of steel, 10mm wide 1mm thick, I heated it, bent it to shape, heated it again, oil quenched then used a flame to get a nice deep blue on the steel, it was to make a loading spring for one of my rifles, and it worked fine, impressed with myself for a first ever attempt.

But when I tried a 6 inch 4mm thick flat bar, it was in about 10 mins and didnt even get red, I could not turn up the small burner anymore as it kept blowing itself out.

Now, I am stuck.
    I am guessing the space I am using inside the block is way too small, as is the burner.

So to start with, does anyone have for sale or tell me where I can get a stupid cheap propane burner, or does anyone make then on here ?

Please feel free to give me as much advice as you would like, it's all helpful.

Regards
    Eliminator Guy

Re: Well I am new here !

61 views of this post and not one bit of advice or a welcome, thanks guys, what a happy helpful site this is going to be.

Welcome, I think. Two days is not a long time; not everyone has the skills that allow them to give advice; not everyone logs on everyday.

I'm sure if you are patient, someone with the required knowledge will reply. In the meantime, try using our excellent search function, which will answer all the question you could possibly need, and give you ideas that will lead to questions you didn't know you needed to ask.

Chill out, and join in, give us time.

Hard to believe no-one even said hello isn't it?
    I guess a lot of members no longer read the New Members posts, but it's no real excuse for us staff, so please accept an apology on our behalf and of course a welcome, even if a belated one to BB.

As to your request from information, I think you would do well to copy it and post it again in The Cutlers Forge section and hopefully you will get some assistance.

Red Card

welcome to BB. I, like most members, haven't an interest in forging and no knowledge to even begin to answer your questions.

There have been only 21 visits by members, the rest have been guests.

VIP Member

Welcome to BB.
    sorry no idea how to help with your problem.
    As others have said, the knowledgeable folk on here often have better things to do than read every post, but I'm sure someone will.

Welcome to BB

VIP Member

Hi and Welcome.

The guys who actually know stuff about forging are relatively few and far between, even on the forum. To reach them, you'll usually need to head for the cutlers forge section.

There are a few things in your post that throw up a few more questions. For full disclosure, I know virtually naff all about forging, but I'm not too bad on gas burners and stuff.

"Thermolite block from local DIY shop" is a tad worrying. If you are referring to a Thermalite aerated concrete block, I'm pretty sure they are a structural material, not intended for refractory applications and may be prone to spalling, perhaps quite violently, at forging temperatures, particularly if damp. Be careful.

Burners for forges, at least the ones that work well, actually tend to be much more sophisticated than they might first appear to the casual observer.

There are 2 things that affect how hot a given gas forge will get: the amount of gas being burned in the chamber and the temperature at which it is being burned. My initial guess is that the burner you have is too small and will not burn enough gas for the size of the forge. However, it is entirely possible that you have enough gas but are not burning it effectively within the forge. Do you get lots of Dragons Breath: flame from the mouth of the forge?

The flame temperature is very strongly affected by the air:fuel ratio. It's not something I find easy to explain, but if you can get your head round it, it makes the temperature control thing a whole lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp73eBS4LTk

Your 3" diameter chamber is actually quite a lot bigger than would be usual for a 2-Brick Forge, which would often be fired with a small torch. The 2 Bricks which give the 2BF its name are Insulating Fire Bricks, usually 23-grade (rated to 2300 degF, 1260 degC hot face temperature).

I'd suggest reading anything you can find that looks like it might be relevant here on BB, on Bladesmithsforum and on IForgeIron, then head for Cutlers Forge with any specific stuff you can't find answers on.

Thread Information