Installing a variable speed motor.

Hi guys I'm looking for some help and advice. I'm looking to install a motor and inverter onto my belt grinder. I'm not flush with cash so looking for cheap options. I've been looking on eBay etc for second hand 3phase motors.

What I don't know and can't seem to find is how to know if a motor is suitable to be used with an inverter. Are there any clues on the motors name plates? Or is it a matter of they will all work with an inverter?

I've looked on https://inverterdrive.com and they seem to have "inverter rated" motors.

When it comes to the inverter I know to look for it have a proper control panel, being rated for the correct KW of the motor and preferably IP55 rated or placed in a box away from the grinder with a separate control unit. Anything else I'm missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

VIP Member

Re: Installing a variable speed motor.

hi, cant help with motors but when it comes to inverters don't overlook the dreaded ebay. I have just purchased a replacement inverter for my lathe, I was using the inverter off my grinder but got sick of changing wires. The replacement was bought of a man on ebay who seams to deal in them, it came pre wired for plug and also wired up for a rev. stop. forward and a speed dial just leaving the 3 phase wires and earth to couple in, he goes by paulb7280 and the best thing is its about half the price of new

Thanks Stevie I'll have a good look. I've found transwave converters store on eBay and they do a 2hp package with inverter, motor and remote station for about 500. I've seen motors and inverters separately for about 100 each lol

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurSheff View Post
    Hi guys I'm looking for some help and advice. I'm looking to install a motor and inverter onto my belt grinder. I'm not flush with cash so looking for cheap options. I've been looking on eBay etc for second hand 3phase motors.

What I don't know and can't seem to find is how to know if a motor is suitable to be used with an inverter. Are there any clues on the motors name plates? Or is it a matter of they will all work with an inverter?

I've looked on https://inverterdrive.com and they seem to have "inverter rated" motors.

When it comes to the inverter I know to look for it have a proper control panel, being rated for the correct KW of the motor and preferably IP55 rated or placed in a box away from the grinder with a separate control unit. Anything else I'm missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    The first thing is , it has to be a 3 phase motor, on the plate it will show the voltage, it must show the voltage as 240v/ and 415v, you will them have to change the wiring to take it to 240v rather than the 415v, other than that it is straight forward, there is a guy on Ebay who sells good motors use the link below and look at his other items
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-phase-mo...QAAOSwNRdX4ZD9
    I have dealt with him and he is a good helpful guy.
    Also if you are replacing a motor, make sure you get the same size motor with the same mounting face, eg B3, it should show this on the plate, you will also need some 3 phase wire (4 core usually) and plugs to suit, also dont go too high with the power of the motor 1.5kw (2HP) is more than suitable, as you could
    have trouble with your mains tripping, make sure your Inverter is rated high enough for the motor. and finally unless you get an IP66 rated Inverter you will have to house it in a dust free box away from your grinder/sander to prevent ingress of dust. If all that seems troublesome buy a Mora, its easier and cheaper.......lol

VIP Member

Take a look in the stickies first.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...mendations-pls

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...erter-Properly

I assume you have the grinder already. If so, the choice of motor will be down to what will fit what you've already got. If it's an IEC metric-framed motor, it should be a doddle finding something that'll fit. If your grinder uses a NEMA-frame, you should be aware that availability this side of the pond is pretty hit-and-miss.

I would not buy a second-hand VFD unless I personally knew its history.

If you are comfortable with the electrics, there should be enough information in the second sticky to get you running.

The cheapest option for a VFD seems to be a HuanYang from ebay. Search for "2.2 kw VFD" located in the UK (for sensible delivery times with no risk of HMRC lousing up your day) and lowest price plus p&p. Currently about 88 to your door. There's obviously a risk when dealing with Chinese electronics that have no UK support. I've had at least 8 pass through my hands. One failed pretty early and the others have all behaved very well. I'm pretty happy with that.

You'll need a dustproof location, which usually means in an enclosure, and a dustproof control panel. This can be switches and a speed pot on the enclosure or a remote control box on a flying lead.

New metric motors can usually be found easily on ebay. TEC are probably the most widely available budget brand and they are available quickly with all the usual mounting options. I'd have no real concerns about using them on a grinder. We use them at work on anything that needs a replacement motor but is not production-critical. For the things that'll lose us production (at hundreds or thousands of pounds an hour), we tend to go for premium-brand motors: Brook, WEG, ABB, etc.

I'd expect a trouble-free life of around 5 years for "budget industrial" motors and VFDs, perhaps 10-15 years for premium motors and 7-10 years for a premium VFD, based on my industrial experience. 5 years at 24/7/52 would be equivalent to over 40 years at 20 hrs/week, so I don't feel the premium motors are really necessary.

Thanks for the advice Fadcode. I've looked it up and I'm happy to wire for 230v if I get the right 3phase motor. Found a source for the 3phase cable so all good there just need to source and buy it all when I get paid lol

Another thing my current 1phase motor is wired up to a trip plug 13amp (can't remember name for the plug type lol) will it be ok to run that wire to the inverter instead of current motor? Being keen to save a few quid would help if I don't have to buy more 1phase cable plug fuses etc if I can just switch it over?

Thanks Tim I'll give those stickies a read.
    I'm comfortable with finding a second hand motor for my plans. The motor frame and mount isn't critical for my grinder as I can adjust its position etc to get the right alignment. Just need to double check the shaft diameter and jetway so I don't have to get a new drive wheel lol

I'm happy building an enclosure and sorting out the remote.

With my hobby usage they will both last a looooooooong time!

For product support I'm going to look into an inverter from a U.K. based company like inverted so if I have problems it's not too much of a hassle to sort out.

Many thanks guys and greatly appreaciated!

ive not long ago plumed my grinder to 3hp 3 phase motor and used a huangyang inverter and put it in an enclosure out of the way ,i used tims guidelines for the set up and its spot on 94 for the inverter 98 for the motor and 42 for the steel enclosure plus a few quid for the wire and remote control bits "again went with tims recommendations "and its all spot on
    ALL THE BEST
    DEVON STALKER

VIP Member

If the 13A "trip plug" is an RCD plug, you may find you get nuisance tripping. It's not particularly common, but if you do, you'll need to change to a normal 13A plug. If not, no worries.

I think an RCD will normally only really provide Earth Leakage protection for the input cable, due to the VFD output effectively being isolated from the input.

Thanks guys really appreciate all the help!

Devon stalker where did you get the metal enclosure from?

Can't wait to order all of this and get it plugged in and working!
    Now just got to wait for pay day lol

Thread Information