Quick and dirty mini wood burning stove

I had initially set aside the B&P yesterday to repair one of the rusty door frames on my defender, however I became interested in the little Kelsport woodburner I'd seen mentioned on a thread on another forum.

I have recently been playing about making rocket stoves and was intrigued as to how one of the mini stoves would perform, the problem being, I didn't have easy access to any heavy box section or tube, and to buy the materials over the counter, I would be as well just ordering the Kelsport and saving myself the bother. My eyes turned to an abandoned road sign lying in a corner, you'll do, thin enough to cut easily with tin snips and to bend, avoiding the need to seam weld the corners up.

I decided on a 5 x 5 x 14 inch body, slightly larger than the Kelsport, but I could just get all the material I needed from the one sign, so I got measuring, marking and cutting.

Once I had my pieces cut out, I folded the pieces to make a bottom and two sides, a back, a front, and a 2 foot long section of 2.5" chimney.

The back of the road sign was painted with some horrible under seal type of stuff, so I then took it outside and burnt all the paint off with a roofers torch.

This being done, I then added a wee 90 degree bend to the bottom of the chimney, I was initially just going to weld it onto the back wall, but then I realised I wouldn't be able to have a sealed cap style lid if I did this, I then cut the back wall to take the chimney, and welded wee bits of angle iron from the same road sign to act as supports for the grate.

Then secured in place.

The road sign had some sort of zinc coating and was horrible to weld to. I then assembled the various pieces and tacked it all together, I also drilled a hole through the angle iron grate support and welded an M6 bolt to it as a pivot for the door.

Next step was to make up a grate out of an old fencing spike, the grate is just above the door, about 4" from the base, this is so all the air is coming in from below the fire, it also means ash can be removed with the fire still burning for extended running.

Just a cap now and its done, however due to the very flimsy construction, it was prone to tipping backwards, and there was quite a bit of flex in the back wall, both due to the weight of the chimney being close to half of the weight of the full stove, so using the angle from the sign, I made up a base and a support for the chimney, and all complete.

I didn't get home till fairly late, but I was still determined to test it, so armed with the stove, a can of beer and some various combustibles, I headed out the back. To light the stove i put a wee chunk of firelighter in the base and toploaded a handful of kindling.

And a couple of minutes later had this.

I amused myself for a while by chucking bits of kindling in to see how big a flame I could get then put some charcoal briquettes in and soon had the sides glowing, I ended up out for about two hours.

In conclusion I am pleased with the design, it draws very well, even when you take the cap off, most of the flame / smoke is still being drawn to the chimney, and it doesn't burn too fast on charcoal, particularly if you close the damper down a bit to restrict airflow. I never thought to try boiling water on it, but I can't see that it would have taken very long, I'll maybe try that tonight, maybe also try some smokeless house fuel stuff I grabbed from home bargains intending to try it in my gas bottle stove.

Now that the concept is proven, I need a better built version from heavier materials, if I can manage to source a free bit of 4" or preferably 6" box section I will probably make it myself, If I have to buy the material, it's really not worth the effort and I'd probably just buy the Kelsport.
    BB Landy Collector

Administrator

Re: Quick and dirty mini wood burning stove

Nice work Stu. Looks well good.

Cheers Andy!
    BB Landy Collector

Not trying to tell people how to suck eggs the coating that was difficult to weld will probably be galvanised steel that if your welding best to grind it off before welding also the fumes are quite harmful best welded outside.
    Hope I am right at what I am trying to say.
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money cant make me happy" Spike Milligan

Ken, you are bang on about what you say, I ground off as best I could on such thin steel. I was only doing a couple of tacks at a time and allowing to cool to prevent too much warping, and trying not to breathe any of the fumes.
    BB Landy Collector

I remember 50 years ago I was working in a factory and was given the job of burning a lot of brackets galv off in a furnace so they could be welded the job was done the wrong way round should have been galvanised after welding and there was over a thousand 17 a week wages some say the good old days
    Last edited by kenj; 18-04-17 at 01:25 PM.
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money cant make me happy" Spike Milligan

That doesn't sound at all pleasant mate.
    BB Landy Collector

Maker

Good job...

The whole rocket stove thing is a minefield, hours and hours of fun though, ask me how I know

Hmmm ... Reminds me of my stint in the army, all tent stoves work like that. With dry birch the body can actually be heated to softening and it starts to come down with wrinkling ...
    With 25 kg back bag and 20 kg tent it is difficult to not get warm even in -30C ...
    Wouldn't dream of being able to do it any more.
    #1 son told that now they invented a better way to keep warm 70 kg for 20 km ... the norm though apparently is 35-40 kg.

(And every ten years the ol' memory puts on a few more kgs.)

Thread Information