Maker

damascus cigar scissors

I decided to make some scissors in a completely radical way. To my knowledge, this is the first time scissors have ever been made this way; a unique set of requirements and opportunities created the idea.

I have come to realised that making scissors made from billets (or sheets) of steel is rather inefficient.

1. two identical (awkward) shapes need to be cut from within the steel
    2. nearly half the steel from each blank gets removed to allow them to sit over each other.
    3. The material in the bow is waste.

If the steel is just a monosteel then the element of waste isn't such a big consideration but as soon as a patterned steel is used, the price is increased and efficient use of the material is more important. As well as cost issues, the pattern itself posed a problem, how can the pattern be matched up across the two halves?

The form itself is quite endearing based on a Victorian pair of cigar scissors that I own (with no provenance or labelling) they are a cigar 'multi tool'. On the scissors there is a match striker, tip pricker and the cutter but, most exciting to me, there is also a little folding blade on the reverse. All of these were on the original, I have just tweaked the form to give it more curves...play with proportions and make it more sexy.

The innovation comes with the blend of EDM wire cutting and traditional bench work. Instead of cutting two halves, the entire shape of the scissors was cut as one profile...and then a slot was cut up to the bows, half way through the thickness of the billet. Careful milling down to the slot on each side across the base of the bows allowed the two halves to be separated. I added another layer of complexity by doing an additional slot to remove the steel for the folding blade and spring. When all the parts are reassembled into the scissors, the damascus pattern runs through the entire piece from top to bottom.

Another little bit of cleverness came with the bows. Because the scissors were being cut as one, I couldn't nest the two halves to get them to fit on my normal sized billet...so I drew the bows squashed and forged them out into their proper shape when it had been cut out.

Because I feel the need to check things out as carefully as possible, I made a full size working model first...

...and then make a steel prototype...

I've just finished one of the 'proper' pairs and hopefully I'll finish the other one tomorrow.

They are booked in to be photographed on Monday so I'll post more pictures then.
    High Priestess of the Small and Foldy...
    Founding member of MOCK
    "...I think I could be considered a boot fetishist, if military boots count as a fetish..." Hepotec

VIP Member

Re: damascus cigar scissors

Lovely piece!
    scaled down a bit; that would be my middle age nostril & ear tufts sorted, in style

Superbly inventive and execued. Good to see you posting Grace, what else have you been making in that little workshop?

Administrator

Superb work Grace, good to see you back here.

VIP Member

Stunning work Grace
    "How the hell did I end up with all this stuff???? "

Good to see you here again, Grace. Remarkable work.
    David

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
    "Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie

VIP Member

Well what can one say....

A piece like this really shows how you occupy a solely exclusive place in the craft, Making well designed work that is an exploration of technique , technical inovation and just outright skill (did I forget to mention complexity of work and the tenacity and patients involved in a project like this.......)

High priestess of the small and foldy indeed....Your time spent medatating and contemplating the ancient scriptures (old pair of scissors) has really paid off.

have fun at blade.
    please email me if you want to contact me ,my PM box just gets so full .
    owen@owenbush.co.uk

www.owenbush.co.uk

VIP Member

They look great. Can't get my head around how they work though.

VIP Member

Wow, they're beautiful tools alright. Almost enough to make me take up cigars!

Truly stunning work Grace
    Alf

The English winter - ending in July, to recomence in august.
    George Gordon
    Scout out www.escouts.org.uk
    Knives by me

Beautiful!

Can I please ask if you mind me posting a picture or a link to this on a Cigar forum I am a member of?

Maker

Not at all, help yourself! I have instagram and FB if the links are easier from there but pm me if you want more info. I'll be getting their glam shots in a couple of days.
    High Priestess of the Small and Foldy...
    Founding member of MOCK
    "...I think I could be considered a boot fetishist, if military boots count as a fetish..." Hepotec

Thread Information