Thread: Camera choices

Camera choices

I would expect someone here will be able to help with this as I am sure I wont be the first to ask.

I am looking to buy a camera, no more than say 200 that will help when I am taking pictures of the knives I make etc. I really don't have a Scooby about modern cameras as I am of an age of the Fujica STX's and the Olympus OM 2 spot program. What I am looking for is something modern where by I can control the shutter speed and aperture so I can control depth of field etc, I do have a small Panasonic Lumix point and shoot but I am not sure if that would be up to much. On the bright side I have 2 decent photo lamps on tripods, a separate tripod and am in the process of setting up a light box which should help.

Finally something off subject and that is how do I follow a post on here so that when I return after viewing it I am able to either find it or be alerted to updates to it?

Thanks in advance

Maker

Re: Camera choices

Depends which Lumix you already have .. the LX 3/5/7 are more than capable for your needs.

Administrator

Look for a good second hand Canon G7, G9, G10. They have decent large sensors and wide aperture lenses (compared to most compacts).
    The Panasonic LX as mentioned above are also very good.

If control of depth of field is really important, you'll need something with a large sensor, like a DSLR with an APS-C or four-thirds sized sensor. The small sensors in compact cameras give you huge depth of field, so even with the aperture wide open there's little scope for artistic depth of field effects. That includes the likes of the Canon G10, which has a large sensor compared to cheaper compacts, but it's still very small compared to a film frame.
    If that degree of control is something you could live without, the newer enthusiast-type compacts like the ones mentioned by Andy and Mike produce excellent image quality with the added benefits of being cheaper, and pocketable. I found a little-used Canon S100 (same sensor as the G9) on ebay for about 120, since I got that my EOS 7D has come out a lot less often.

Maker

The fast lens on the LX series does give pretty good control over depth though

Cheers guys , good info from you and I shall look out for a camera. Oh and the Lumix I have is not one of the bigger models it is the tiny thing that fits in ya pocket. DMC TZ18 , just bought for slinging in my Roe sack when shooting.

Canon 5D mk1's go for a smidge over 200 on ebay. It's full frame and with adaptors will take most classic glass you may already have.

I have a G9 and it's nice, but an order of magnitude below a 5D for depth of field.

Quote Originally Posted by ValeTudoGuy View Post
    Canon 5D mk1's go for a smidge over 200 on ebay. It's full frame and with adaptors will take most classic glass you may already have.

I have a G9 and it's nice, but an order of magnitude below a 5D for depth of field.
    Thanks for this. Sadly I sold all my camera lenses years ago for pennies....

Quote Originally Posted by izafireman View Post
    Thanks for this. Sadly I sold all my camera lenses years ago for pennies....
    Luckily you can still pick up many older lenses for very little money, even if you went for someting like the totally decent Canon 50mm f1.4 they are regularly available for under 100 and if you get lucky on an auction closer to 50

If you want to go even cheaper then loads of companies did a 50 or 55mm f1.8 and they often go for pocket money it you look around, certainly not hard to find one under 30... Likely around 15-20

A setup like this will also open the world of serious macro via a pretty cheap bellows
    Last edited by ValeTudoGuy; 18-05-17 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ValeTudoGuy View Post
    Luckily you can still pick up many older lenses for very little money, even if you went for someting like the totally decent Canon 50mm f1.4 they are regularly available for under 100 and if you get lucky on an auction closer to 50

If you want to go even cheaper then loads of companies did a 50 or 55mm f1.8 and they often go for pocket money it you look around, certainly not hard to find one under 30... Likely around 15-20

A setup like this will also open the world of serious macro via a pretty cheap bellows
    Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information