Chinese Knife law?

I'm going to China soon, to Guangzhou and Shenzhen to be more specific.
    Does anyone know about the knife laws there

But maybe in days like these, leaving my knives at home will save me a lot of trouble on the airplane.
    "Take what is useful and develop from there" - Bruce Lee

Account Closed

Re: Chinese Knife law?

Hi Magnus

I'll see what I can find out for you.

Danzo

Widely speaking, the knives in China are extremely restricted. There is a public safety regulation especially deal with the sharpen stuff, which is covering almost all the knives in common sense. The regulations can be slightly different with different city, so I wouldn't call it a law. The main contents of those regulaitons basicly are same because they are instructed by one documents from Ministry of Justice of China.
    The regulation gives the size, type and pattern of the knives which have been called controlled knives. In the newest version, there are five type of knives are controlled.

First, dagger, dirk or stylet with a 100mm or longer blade. Whatever you called, this type of knives usually have obvious crosspiece between the handle and blade.

Second, the triangular bladed mechanical knives. Like Shing's sleeve dagger but widely used in the mechanical work.

Third, self-locking auto-knives with a 100mm or longer blade.

Forth, other single, double edge or pyramid blade knives with a 120 mm or longer blade and less than 60 degrees tip angle.

Fifth, the knives are restricted by other relative laws.

Unauthorized people are not allowed to carrying restricted knives to the public places.

The police have the rights to do the final judgement, which means if somebody was caught of carrying an restricted knife in a public place, there was no need to go to the court, the police officers will judge what kind of penalty should be, normally confiscate the knives, charge a fine around 30 pounds and/or up to 5-10 days custody. If they thought the person is not resipiscence or in some sensitive period, the penalty might much heaver than it should be.
    About two month ago, Chinese polices started an action/operation to beat the carrying, having and unauthorized selling restricted knives. They will search those who are suspected to carrying the knives in public or having the knives in home. During this period, they will give the heavest penalty and now the action is in its peak period, most of the fans changed the topics in the forums and also their EDCs.

blademaster: Thank you!

Looks like I'm really leaving everthing sharp at home.
    "Take what is useful and develop from there" - Bruce Lee

Sounds like a U.K. legal slippie would be okay? I'd grab a few cheapie SAK'S off fleabay. That way, if you did end up giving the one you're carrying to an enthusiast, you've still got backups.
    And Swiss army knives are usually appreciated as gifts wherever you are in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratel10mm View Post
    Sounds like a U.K. legal slippie would be okay? I'd grab a few cheapie SAK'S off fleabay. That way, if you did end up giving the one you're carrying to an enthusiast, you've still got backups.
    And Swiss army knives are usually appreciated as gifts wherever you are in the world.
    You are totally right, that's what I was saying in me reply, most of fans now changing the topics and their EDCs, slipe joint knives, pocket knives and SAKs now get hotter there.

Something need to be aware. Officially, the UK legal slippie is alright, but you never know what the "enthusiasts" are thinking, especially the handle looks like haveing a guard(crosspiece) or the main drop point blade has a long thin fake edge, those figures make someone wondering and might cause troubles, such as time waste to explain.
    Certainly, the normal SAKs, not the big ones with blade lock, are OK, and no one will argue on that. Bear in mind, you can get those knives in China or Hongkong cheaper than buying those in UK as at least there is no VAT added.

Account Closed

Blademaster, thank you for this information on the law in China. Is it OK for me to transfer your posts to the Law Library so that we keep it as an easy to find permanent resource?

Thanks

Danzo

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    Blademaster, thank you for this information on the law in China. Is it OK for me to transfer your posts to the Law Library so that we keep it as an easy to find permanent resource?

Thanks

Danzo
    My pleasure, Danzo. Wish that helps.

I cant speak for the law because I havent read it. I do however currently live in China and can advise the following from experience.

Victorinox Swiss Army knives are widely sold where I live-yes, the genuine article, not knock offs. Many shopping malls have Victorinox displays in them, alongside Zippo lighters, (maybe knock-offs-I havent checked these in any detail because I dont smoke). One upmarket shopping mall used to sell Spyderco, Emmerson knock-offs and the Boker Magnum AK-47 switchblades.

Also in malls and street markets it is easy to pick up switch blades, stun guns, butterfly knives and such like. I've seen and handled these in several different locations. Same goes for BB replica guns.

As to what you can carry, it is likely to depend on where you are and the local attitudes of the police there. Barring extreme anti-social behaviour, westerners are left alone. If you are in Beijing, there is a greater likelyhood of being stopped. Around where I am, it hasnt happened to me and I am told it hasnt happened to anyone else. For the police to question you they are required to have an officer present who can speak English.

I fully expect there will be a significant increase in security with the Olympics, affecting those cities involved. If there is any Olympic event in a city, security will be a lot tighter and there may well be weapon checks, (I'm in Shenyang and it will be hosting some of the football matches).

In summary, speaking for where I live, there is very little obvious control of knives and similar. That said, there is little violent crime here. Given that China is such a massive country, this really is going to vary from place to place.
    Mike Becker

My China blog: http://mjjbecker.spaces.msn.com/

well ,, china sounds quite better than here when it regards the police and knives, a english speeking officer indeed,

well beats getting your face beat in and being robbed by the cops or having your knives stolen ..
    hey russia inst to civilised sometimes, aspecialy the police,
    i post the laws next
    www.kizlyar.ru/eng my employer,, russian made knives :)

Thread Information