Trader

Any Info On David Andersen Knives?

Hello scandi folk, I was givern this knife, by my Grandfather, just before he died.

Ive tried to find out some info on the maker David Andersen(without much luck),except from my Levines guide to knives book p.470

It has a similar photo of an Andersen called a Peer-Gynt.
    Mine is marked with MAKERS NAME and Norway on the blade and similar on silver sheath mounts and also Sterling 925s.
    I understand my Grandfather bought it in Norway in the early 60s, can any one else shed some light on this maker please . Ru88

Re: Any Info On David Andersen Knives?

I cant help you much but David Andersen is a chain of juvlers her in Norway. They sell knivers for Bunad's.
    mvh Otto Ødegård

Trader

Thanks Otto, I d heard they did silverware and jewelery before, BUT what is BUNAD'S ? CHEERS RU88

In 1952 the Oslo jeweller Ivar David-Andersen started production of his knives, designed by Thorbjørn Lie Jørgensen. They came in many versions, with blades from Brusletto. The silver fittings were made in D-A's own workshop. For some years the knives were made by Helmer Grønvold in the Toten district. In later years everything but the silver parts was made by Brusletto. Recently the producer Tore Heen has started making them for D-A.

The D-A knives have always been popular, but not among knife collectors. We regard them as factory made, and in Norway knives got to be handmade by individual makers. They are, however, regarded as far better than most knives sold in jewellers' shops. They are also more expensive than most of these others.

The "bunad" is the Norwegian national - or rather regional - costume. Most parts of Norway have their own distinctive versions. They are worn by a lot of people at occations like weddings, Christmas parties or the National Day, and at any occasion where formal dress is required.

The D-A knives are quite neutral in design and so may be used on more or less any kind of bunad. If you want to make it quite right you get a handmade knife instead, in the design that is special for your kind of bunad.

Per Thoresen
    Last edited by Per; 22-11-06 at 05:45 PM.

Trader

Wow, thanks for all the info Per, thats realy shed some light on the knife.

I guess in respect to the traditional/National costume with a knife, it makes it a bit like the Scottish kilt and skin-dubgh knife .

I would suppose you might happen to know what peer-gynt, ment ?

Thanks again ru88

The DA knives look very much like those by Haugrud.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/myllar.jpg

They also have Brusletto blades. I assume sold also for bunad, etc?

Rich S
    Richard Stein, PhD

The Japanese Sword Index
    http://japaneseswordindex.com/nihonto.htm

The Haugrud knives are also sold to be used with a bunad. They may also be worn with a dark suit.

Several other Norwegian companies make knives more or less like these, with silver or pewter fittings. Most of the knives have the blade, wood and leather made at Brusletto.

Peer Gynt is the leading character in Henrik Ibsen's play PEER GYNT.

Per

per.thoresen@gmail.com

Trader

Thanks again Per, so the knife is part of traditional costume from a chain of jewlers, and named after a character from literature , only on BB, can you find out info like this ! ru88:

Thread Information