Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FAC Air rifles?

FAC Air rifles?

I thought about just PMing Lawrence, but then decided this might be of wider interest.

What sort of range and use benefits can be had by getting up above the 12 ft lb UK air rifle power limit? I've been looking at 16, 25, 35, 40 ft lb power options on some Theoben rifles and was wondering just what these numbers would mean to me.

With a 12 ft lb rifle (Tachi'd at 11.6) I get about a 3" drop at 30 yards when zeroed for 20 yards with a 15grain pellet coming out around 560 fps. Beyond 30 yards I wouldn't attempt reliable kills on rabbits.

I'd like to get an idea how useable FAC air rifles can be in terms of extra range and stopping power, or whether its better to go the whole hog with 22LR. The advantages of air rifles are "unclassified" ammo, low noise, minimal power (ricochets, overshoots, etc) and the local constabulary here is relatively relaxed about granting FACs for air rifles when you have a good reason

For comparison, I've also been reading about .17HMR in this month's shooting times that gives 895 ft lbs and 4000 fps, but that's a gun that I don't have enough ground for. Might be worth moving
    " I never said that." Albert Einstein.

banned

Re: FAC Air rifles?

I use legal limit rifles in .177 and shoot dead on at everything from 20 yards out to about 35. The variation at those ranges falls within the kill zone of a head shot rabbit or pigeon.

My FAC air rifle is in .22 and happily shoots bunnies at 55 yards. It would probably clean kill at greater ranges but the pellet drop is lousy so I tend to use .22 rimfire instead - this gives longer ranges and flatter trajectory.

Some FAC air rifles seem to perform really well. Most give longer ranges with about the same level of adjustment required for range estimation, and an FAC air rifle is the only time I ever use a range finding scope, for that very reason.

They're good in the right circumstances, but inefficient in others.

Right tool for the job really, and nothing answers all needs.

with a fac air rifle in .22 zerod at 50 yards you are looking at maybe 80 -90 yard max doing 30ft lb,i would recomend a rapid mark 2

If you have got the ground i would go for a .22 LR everytime. with sub sonic amunition they make less noise than an air rifle and are the dogs at about 60 to 80yds and once you get the hang of it you can head shoot a bunny well in excess of 100yds, The 177HMR is a great round out to 200yds but they make a bit of noise.

Apply for your FAC for a rimfire, if you have a genuine reason for having one you should have no probs (in theory) drawback is you will have to get a gun locker, but on the plus side a good BA rifle is much cheaper than a good air rifle

I agree with Toby here. The ground over which you intend to shoot should have (or would need to be) classified into what type of rifle can shoot there. Its a bit chicken and egg then, you need shooting rights over a bit of land first and then see what its permissible to shoot there. Alternatively if you own a bit of unclassified land I believe you need to invite a firearms officer to assess it and tell you what your options are.
    "Your work is both good and original. Unfortunately where it is good it is not original and where it is original it is not good."

VIP Member

Danny There is a good program called 'Chairgun'. You can put your pellet weight, power levels in and it will give you a trajectory. It can be downloaded
    for free from here.
    http://www.chairgun.com/

HTH....Gumbob

Excellent stuff! Exactly the answers I wanted.
    Cheers guys

Trader

If you can justify the application go for the rimfire mate I spent a loooong time doing all my shooting with a sub-12 ft/lbs air rifle and became pretty effective with it as a result. I then treated myself to a Theoben Eliminator (.22" @ 32ft/lbs) on ticket and loved it. The increased effective range, the superb accuracy, the fantastic stopping power.... right up the point where I got a decent .22 rimmy. No contest. The Eliminator was left unused for about 9 months and then I sold it.
    I found that if I was just out for a plink or to take a few squirrels then my non-ticket air rifle was the ideal tool. Any more "serious" stuff saw me automatically reach for the rimfire.
    If it's not sharp, it's just a piece of metal.

www.longstrider.co.uk is now up and running :)

banned

I wouldn't mind going FAC but my 12ft lb Rapid seems to be doing the job so far! There are a few hares kicking about up here though, and the bigger wallop of an FAC would be ideal for bagging one now and then.

The Rapid deals with corvids, squirrels and rabbits just fine though, and my current permission would not cater for an FAC as there are foot paths cutting through it, I have to be very careful when I'm out doing my pest control.

well, beging hunting a few years ago, air rifles were great for back yard plinking, or pest control. I have/had a Slavia 631, and a crosman 2289g that I shot countless rabbit and various small game with, really fun. Getting within 15yrds of a rabbit is quite a challange, but fun non the less. After moving to firearms, I dont use them so much anymore, but the still hold a place, I've kept my slavia in mint, and I still love that thing, shoots around 750fps, has no problem taking small game. Also, alot of canadiantire specials over here in canada, they are shooting around 500fps and I know of people who still hunt small game with these, to me that border line non clean takedown, but it can be done.

If you do not want to download software for conversion stuff, here is a nice online calculator from the Dutch Aurgun forum:

http://www.luchtbuks.net/convert.htm

-Emile

VIP Member

Here is something very similar from the Theoben Website :- http://www.theoben.co.uk/customer/pages.php?pageid=5

HTH

Mark
    Reviews Here (Mainly Torches at the moment + the odd knife now!)
    New Host www.cones-stuff.co.uk

I've used higher powered FAC air rifles in the past - borrowed rather than owned - and I don't reckon you get that much of an advantage over the standard 12ft lbs. There's a significant improvement in effective range and stopping power by going with the .22LR, and that's what I would suggest.

It's also cheaper to buy a decent .22LR than a decent FAC air rifle, and .22LR rounds are not expensive either.

I'd actually go so far as to say that I believe that .22LR is the minimum calibre that should be used for rabbits on humane grounds. I know, because I've shot thousands of rabbits with an old BSA Airsporter, that an air rifle is capable of killing them humanely with good shot placement. However, I don't think that 12ft lbs gives much margin for error in either range estimation or shot placement, and I'm therefore not wild about using air rifles on rabbits any more. FAC rated air rifles do give a bit more performance, but the .22LR is an order of magnitude more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    I'd actually go so far as to say that I believe that .22LR is the minimum calibre that should be used for rabbits on humane grounds. I know, because I've shot thousands of rabbits with an old BSA Airsporter, that an air rifle is capable of killing them humanely with good shot placement. However, I don't think that 12ft lbs gives much margin for error in either range estimation or shot placement, and I'm therefore not wild about using air rifles on rabbits any more. FAC rated air rifles do give a bit more performance, but the .22LR is an order of magnitude more effective.
    I think I'm coming to the same conclusion about 12 ft lbs trixx. I'm just not sure I'll get the OK for .22LR with the degree of public access around my garden and adjacent fields, hence the interest in FAC air.

Quote Originally Posted by Basemetal View Post
    I think I'm coming to the same conclusion about 12 ft lbs trixx. I'm just not sure I'll get the OK for .22LR with the degree of public access around my garden and adjacent fields, hence the interest in FAC air.
    Understood. Still think that the improvement in performance is pretty marginal - I was fairly disappointed when I used a FAC air rifle, it probably buys you an extra few yards of effective range but it's not wonderful. I'm certainly not sure if the benefits justify the cost and trouble of getting a FAC, gun cabinet, etc...

Thread Information