First project......

I'm about to embark on putting scales on to a full tang blade for the first time and had a couple of questions, if anyone would be so kind to help out......!

1. Drilling for loveless bolts - is a step drill bit essential/desirable or not really needed?

2. Attaching vulcanised fibre liners - I've read epoxy resin is used most often; is it best to glue the liner to the scale first and then to the tang, or to the tang first?

No doubt there will be more questions once I've started - thanks to any with answers!

VIP Member

Re: First project......

Hullo, that looks like me!

1. The bit helps, but with a bit of artifice, a twist drill plus an end mill will do.

2. I do both together.

"Small, fat bear" All images and text . All rights reserved. ZDP-189 on Slingshotforum.com

VIP Member

2. One side then the other, though.

"Small, fat bear" All images and text . All rights reserved. ZDP-189 on Slingshotforum.com

I've just tried putting the liner on the wood, then when its dry I plan attaching the thing to the tang .... if this turns out to be more trouble than its worth , I'll let you know.

The best advice i can give, is to get some cheap wood, and old unused knife(i used an old kitchen knife)and have a go with that. then once you feel brave ( with a couple of beers inside you ) have a bash with a decent blade .... good luck anyway

better not have the beers though

banned

I always put the liners and scales on at the same time.

Providedyou prepare everything properly and have your placement holes drilled just right I see now reason to glue liner to scale, clamp, dry and sand only to repeat the entire process a second time.

The whole point to Loveless and similar fasteners is that they provide a mechanical joint fixing the scale to the tang. As such, if your fit it good to begin with, you can mask off the blade then slip the liners on with a think coating of glue then the scales and tighten the Loveless bolts down.

That said, a lot of people get good results doing the liner/scale/glue/clamp/dry/sand then fit to tang process, so I guess whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    Last edited by Xunil; 13-10-07 at 08:48 PM.

banned

glue liner to one handle slab, drill and prepare for gluing, glue. Glue other liner to other side, glue to tang, drill through the holes drilled on the other side, bolt and ifnish. This guarantees the holes line uo

epoxy is , imho essential, other glue is just not up to it

I liked the bear - what can I say?

Thanks for the tips so far - do any of the tutorials (links on other threads) show the process particularly well?

Bond them all on at the same time, 24 hour epoxy has about 4 or 6 workable hours so its not going to set for ages . Take your time make sure everything fits without epoxy first,then lay it all out on newspaper or what have you and proceed NOTE Wear gloves (surgical) there the best should olnly take 10 maybe 20 mins max good luck

banned

Cracking - many thanks

Trader

Glue liners to both scales.

Drill holes in one scale, using pins to make sure everything stays lined up when drilling further holes.

Repeat for other scale.

Shape and finish bolster of both scales while the scales are held together with pins pushed through to make sure the bolsters are symmetrical - knife isn't present at this time.

Glue scales to knife blade.

Thanks guys - I'll post pics once it's finished (if it's not an abject failure!!!!!)

I see you got all the advise ,so I can now wish you luck!!You will do a fine job for sure!!
    Albert

Thread Information