Hybrid View

Small Linder Sewing Ulu sheath

I picked up a tiny Maynard Linder Ivory fishing weight sewing ulu quite a while back with the intention of adding it to my repair kit that I keep in my vest pocket. Without some sort of sheath this just was not possible, so using some scrap, soft vegtanned leather I came up with this idea.

I cut out this leather with the little ulu…slick.

Every time I do a new leather project it just increases my respect for the pros in the field. This little ulu sheath is no Tiffers but I sort of like it. The saddle stitching is a bit crooked and the leather trim is a bit off on the sides, it is just a couple of mm too narrow also, but still I really like it.

I think tonight it will get a good soaking in wax and then a bit of a side trim. There is a bit of room inside for a twist of sinew and a couple of needles.

How the pros do this without cutting their little fingers is something I would like to know. When I pulled that sinew tight on each pass I cut my little fingers right at the joint. I could have used a sailmakers palm or at least a wrap of some tape at the joint I suppose, but is there some other trick?

Re: Small Linder Sewing Ulu sheath

I like it very much.
    The knife is superb too. Whats the handle material?
    Regarding crooked stitching and trimming - it ads character in this particular case, imho. I dont think the leather is veg. tannned. Seems like chrome tanned to me. But it has very nice texture.

Blog Entries

Thats a really nice design, quite simple really but very effective
    Edd

thats a nice little sheath for the ulu but i'm not too keen on the handle looks too much like a tu d to me sorry , but i do know what you mean about cutting your fingers with the thread, i always get that from pulling electrical cables through conduit it has a small steel wire running through it and it really cuts the skin
    Richard
    Proud Spyderco owner , Colin KC knife owner , Serrata knife owner
    Everybody's born right handed, Only the gifted overcome it

The handle on this is artifact ivory, walrus likely....mloc, it does have some resemblance . It was likely a fishing weight sometime in the past. The maker cannot use new ivory as he is not native, but can use old ivory on his work.

I hot waxed this sheath last night and it is now hard (except for the strap which I oiled) and other than being just a couple of mm too narrow it is just right. I have to insert the ulu on one point then "roll" it into the sheath...a straight shove would nick my edge stitching.

The leather was scrap from a journal maker. He told me it was vegtanned but I also cannot be certain....I hope so though.

Thanks for the comments. Here it is this morning...crooked but it works.

Last edited by Schwert; 21-11-07 at 07:27 PM.

banned

thta's class, pure class

have you got a website/supplier for those ulus?

cheers

Nathan

Maynard Linder does not have a website but there are a couple of ways to get ahold of him. Write direct to him in Alaska for a product list at:

Dancing Man Knives and Ulus
    Maynard Linder
    PO Box 2119
    Homer, Alaska 99603
    USA

Or try to contact him via Meriam on her ebay webstore at:

http://myworld.ebay.com/meriamdelerium

She goes by meriamdelerium on ebay. She lists Maynard's work and some of her own from time to time on ebay, but his selection is more extensive so try and contact her for a list.

His ulu work is about the best of any that I have seen other than traditional work from First Nations individuals. Most of the ulus you find in AK and Canada or on ebay are just pure tourist junk. Maynard's work is meant for use.

More of his work (and another of my crooked stitched sheaths ) can be seen in my ulu article at OM.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_artic...id_article=265

I am not sure why my "before wax" image is not showing but here it is again....

Thank you for the link. Beautiful stuff there.

The sheath is very nice.

Thread Information