Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Amazing Viking knives!!!

Quote Originally Posted by torquemada055 View Post
    Very very nice work and artisianship, the work is fantastic as is the attention to details. My biggest question is "How did/do you bend the metal around the end of the sheath like that"?
    I understand that it comes in thin sheets and you do the layout and decorative stampings, drill the holes, etc., but I havent been able to figure out how you bend it without leaving a crease in the metal.
    These sheath's are something I now want to try to learn to do.

I used a leather mallet and a piece of 1/4" copper.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" Unknown

again,unique and beautiful works and great craftsmanship

I did take some pictures of my method today, if you give me some time I will try and write something up and explain how I make the fittings. Itīs really not very complicated but takes some practice (and strong fingers, all the folding is made by hand as to not leave marks on the bronze).

Until then, here is another red (seems all customers want red leather, must be fashionable this year) knife I finished today. Blade from Aage Frederiksen. Stacked leather and elkhorn handle. Polished brass fittings and underlay with bronze. Brass rivets.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    And I've been struggling with my sheath for about 30 hrs.

Edvin, I love or hate you. I think your kit looks great. Copper and brass/bronze age wonderfully.
    Thank you, I hope the love conquers the hate.

The last picture is my party-kit, itīs about five years old now and have indeed aged well. The lamellar belt is based on several archaeological finds from Gotland, similar ones can be found in Latvia and Estland.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" Unknown

Large seax finished! 51CrV4-steel, leather covered ash handle, brass bolster and draw ring. Total length 580 mm, blade 430 mm. Blade thickness, 7 mm, width 25 mm. This one is unspoken for, see Facebook for more details.

I also have some really nice pictures of originals to show you but I have to get permission to show them from the archive. Soon!

Large seax with fitted sheath. Leather over wood handle, blunt blade for reenactment fighting. Sheath design inspired by originals from Birka.

VIP Member

Edvin, some phenomenal research and art work here, really amazing and very impressive work.

I have a question about these seax, they definitely look like a fighting weapon, small sword, yet they lack any kind of cross guard ??

Without getting into overly horrific and gory detail, how were these seax originally used ?
    Old Norwegian proverb:

Behind the clouds the sky is always blue.

Thank you for the compliments!

The Scandinavian large war knifes are really quite a different kind of weapons than the more commonly known seax. I think they are mixed up most of the time when they are quite different. Also a bit later, 10th or 11th century. The seax (in a very vague and sweeping way) is often broader and thinner. The Scandinavian examples and especially from Gotland are much more like the eastern knifes. The edge and the back of the blades are parallel and they are very triangular in cross shape. The spine can be about 10 mm and the blade only 20-25 mm wide. They really are more like bayonets than cuttings weapons and I would dare to guess that is how they were used, to stab.

A discussion about the size and origin can be found in Niklas Stjernas "Viking-age seaxes in Uppland and Västmanland : craft production and eastern connections". I doubt the article is available in pdf but it can be found in Cultural interaction between east and west : archaeology, artefacts and human contacts in northern Europe. - 2007. - 9789171554741.

Of course, this would be a good theory except that there is no cross guard. The swords however did have a cross guard so they clearly understood the concept.

It is plausible to explain the long Scandinavian war knifes (I would like to use this instead of "seax") as symbols of high ranking warriors and not only weapons. The sheaths are very ornamented and the findings are much more scarce than swords. Swords are quite common (many hundreds) but the war knifes with the complex sheaths are much more rare, about a handful all together. I would like to think this kind of knifes in the Scandinavian context originally comes from the east, maybe from the Baltic countries? Much of the other findings from Gotland (lamellar and spiral belts) seems to belong in the Baltic.

A quick project with juniper and horn handle, handmade blade and brass fittings on the sheath. Some vertical bands on the sheath to jazz it up a bit.

VIP Member

cannot see these pics.....403 Forbidden message showing...so I need to change my browser settings ?

AAAh ignore this. I was looking at first post....now quite old.
    Last edited by Hector; 01-08-11 at 06:09 AM.
    Carver of bowls, always looking for bits of tree...
    Collector of American slip joints.

Wow, just amazing!
    How do you do these perfect rivets?

Thank you!

Yes, the first pictures are quite old now, back from Thomas post in 2008. Pictures of all the knifes can be found on the Facebook page and this thread of course.

Some rivets I buy with finished heads and some I make from wire. Especially for the lamellar belts itīs truly a time saver to have finished rivets.

Still make em good Edvin! Can you tell a bit more on oyur logo, I am always interested in them. What does that small logo shape mean?

If you mean the mark on the blade itīs not mine but the maker of the blade. I do not mark my knifes and sheaths with a stamp or such. Of course Iīve got my trusty Audhumbla on my cards and site. You can never go wrong with a cow.

Thread Information