Page 163 of 272 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 4076

Thumbs down Re: Vintage Sheffield folder's (pic heavy !)

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Levine is a curmudgeon with a very large ego, but is usually careful when stating matters of fact - vide his use of "as far as I know" in the quoted excerpt. If there is evidence that he is wrong I will certainly bring it to his attention.
    the last time i brought evidence to his attention concerning his error, he banned me from his forum.

Re: Vintage Sheffield folder's (pic heavy !)

Quote Originally Posted by sebago View Post
    Hi mito0,

These repro Joseph Rodgers catalogue have been floating around the knife circuit in the US, for about 12 years. I recall one guy having maybe 60 copies at one time. They were priced at $9.95 cents each. When several of us ridiculed the front page they were quickly reduced to $5.00 each. I bought one and later gave it away.

You won't be disappointed with the contents, which I believe are c. 1905, or thereabouts? Back then, one of the pages was inserted into the catalog upside down! The reason was that someone had punched the holes for the plastic binder on the wrong side of the page. So they simply bunged it into the catalog upside down. Perhaps you will let us know if this still prevails?

Incidentally, the seller states that Jim Parker "owned the Sheffield group." This is NOT TRUE! Parker "leased" the I*XL trade mark for a short period and that was the whole of his connection with that group of companies.

Jim Taylor.
    thanks for the info, jim.
    i'm embarrassed to admit how much i paid for it, but a digital version will soon be free for anyone who cares to have it.

A new one for me.J.Harwood&co grafting knife.Ivory scales and ivory spud.Im told its late victorian.

It has been made in such a way so that the spring on the 'spud' end does not bind on the ivory thus wearing down.Works with friction.
    I have a few more folders to show off soon
    ..we all float down here..

Having arrived back from my Jersey trip empty-handed - as far as knives are concerned that is - I called in at a local fair this morning where I picked up these three.

The sheepfoot pocket knife is marked simply Brooksbank - Sheffield. It has never been sharpened, nor has it been polished after glazing. Lovely square-end tang action - simulated stag scales.

The little four-piece chatelaine is marked 'Sheffield' on both blade and hook as is quite often the case.

The five-piece pearl has made my day - a real stunner. Carbon steel - totally mint - crocus finish -polished inside and out - perfect scales and pins marked with all the Rodgers marks plus 'Cutlers to His Majesty'. Just a tiny bit of spidering on the master and also the pen. As usual, for the display shot I have left the scissors and the corkscrew in the closed position to avoid unnecessary stress on the springs.

Tom.

Forgot to mention that in addition to the three knives, I bought a 1975 re-print George Wostenholm Catalogue.

T.

Hi everyone,

Regarding the dating of Rodgers knives. G crown R quite rightly dates it between 1910 and i would say the early 1940's. I know they were still using the mark in 1937 as i have a coronation knife which is marked as so. I also have a carving set marked G crown R with silver marks for 1943.

I read one book which said G crown R could also be the mark for George the 4th but i have yet to see one of those so don't know if that was just someones guess.

I must point out that JR quite often did not not mark blades according to the current monarch and would often use old marks. Its quite easy to see this when looking at carving sets because the silver hallmark dates are often years off. Quite strangely, i have had carving sets before with the blade marked as E crown R for edward the 7th, the silver cap dating it to 1906 and then the matching steel marked CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY. I think this was partly done because maybe old stock was being used up but more importantly, i don't think it was an issue to the customers. Interestingly, i have a JR reciept dated 1906 which very clearly states CUTLERS TO THE LATE QUEEN VICTORIA aswell as to Edward the 7th. The royal warrants of previously deceased monarchs were obviously not meant to be forgotten. This obviously also highlights the strong relationship which the company did have with the royal family.

Knives are sometimes marked W crown R CUTLERS TO THEIR MAJESTIES dating the knife to around 1830 to 1837 but these are super rare and they also never have the star and cross mark.

Andy
    Last edited by RodgersLad; 12-10-09 at 12:11 AM.

Regarding the JR 9.99 catalogues, i have seen so many floating about, they only detail a selection of pages from the original i think. The misspelling of Rodgers obviously a complete travesty haha!

The original catalogue is early edwardian i think and details not just penknives but razors, carvers, scissors and all sorts of cutlery and toilet cases etc. Have only ever seen one for sale. I am guessing worth quite a bit of money, not common atall. I do have a book which details the index page of the original catalogue if anyone would to see the types of things that were being offered for sale?

I was very lucky to come into possesion of a JR catalogue which i think is dated mid edwardian, that details silver and silver plate produced by the company. A good 300 pages plus listing all descriptions and prices. It features lots of unusual things like mahogany restaurant carving trollies, dressing table mirrors made from hippopotamus tusks, sports trophies, decanter sets, vases, lamps etc. I have only ever seen this one. Quite an interesting read because its not something you really associate JR with.

The knife catalogue and silver catalogue are the only two i have ever seen although my catalogue does say that it leaves the previous one invalid. Where and if any others exist, i don't know.

Tell ya something, makes you proud to be from Sheffield.

Andy
    Last edited by RodgersLad; 12-10-09 at 12:39 AM.

Regarding posthumous use of Royal Warrants, the official website of the British Monarchy at least implies that a royal warrant remains in effect for five years after the death of the sovereign/grantor:
    Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother was also a grantor of warrants; warrants granted by her were retained for five years from her death (until 2007).
    No doubt this is intended to allow for the use of previously marked stock.
    Last edited by Berkley; 12-10-09 at 12:57 AM.

It is probably partly due to the previously marked stock but also, if a company has to provide the royal with their products or services for 5 years before they receive the warrant, i guess its only fair that they make up those 5 years when they die.

great information about the rodgers dating, andy.
    i've received my rodgers reprint catalog and i'll start scanning it soon.
    the image quality isn't quite as good as i would've liked, but it's still very nice to look at.

owdtom, that rodgers lobster is outrageous!
    you definitely have exceptional finding skills.

Quote Originally Posted by RodgersLad View Post
    Hi everyone,

Regarding the dating of Rodgers knives. G crown R quite rightly dates it between 1910 and i would say the early 1940's. I know they were still using the mark in 1937 as i have a coronation knife which is marked as so. I also have a carving set marked G crown R with silver marks for 1943.

I read one book which said G crown R could also be the mark for George the 4th but i have yet to see one of those so don't know if that was just someones guess.

I must point out that JR quite often did not not mark blades according to the current monarch and would often use old marks. Its quite easy to see this when looking at carving sets because the silver hallmark dates are often years off. Quite strangely, i have had carving sets before with the blade marked as E crown R for edward the 7th, the silver cap dating it to 1906 and then the matching steel marked CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY. I think this was partly done because maybe old stock was being used up but more importantly, i don't think it was an issue to the customers. Interestingly, i have a JR reciept dated 1906 which very clearly states CUTLERS TO THE LATE QUEEN VICTORIA aswell as to Edward the 7th. The royal warrants of previously deceased monarchs were obviously not meant to be forgotten. This obviously also highlights the strong relationship which the company did have with the royal family.

Knives are sometimes marked W crown R CUTLERS TO THEIR MAJESTIES dating the knife to around 1830 to 1837 but these are super rare and they also never have the star and cross mark.

Andy
    Andy, some nice information. I have been doing some research this week on the subject of the issue of a Royal Warrant to JR & Sons by George VI. So far I have come up with nothing. I would think that there has to be a list held somewhere of Warrants issued. I have contacted The Royal Warrant Holders Association, but so far no answer. If I get any information I will post it here.

Joe
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

VIP Member

As ever the quality & quantity of information in this thread just amazes me. It's an education. Thanks from this BBer.

David
    "Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie

Quote Originally Posted by dkonopinski View Post
    As ever the quantity of information in this thread just amazes me. It's an education. Thanks from this BBer.

David

I agree David, but as I'm sure you'll accept, that information needs to be accurate for it to be beneficial and as some of the earlier comments in the thread contain a degree of ambiguity, they need to be addressed.

What we have to remember is that the terms 'Royal Warrant', 'Royal Cypher' and 'Royal Coat of Arms', whilst having a common denominator, are of different significance: as are Royal titles.

By way of a non-quote summation:-

A Royal Warrant is an appointment granted by the Monarch and where necessary by certain other members of the Royal Household, which thereafter enables the appointee to proclaim the fact on goods and elsewhere in association with its business.

A Royal Cypher is simply a monogram of the Monarch's initials, used mainly on certain buildings, official papers and similar documents. The practice goes back to before the Tudor period and it was Henry VIII who first had the letter 'R' for 'Rex' included after his initial 'H'.

For Queens the 'R' is 'Regina' and in the case of Victoria, after 1877 when she became Emperess of India, the letter 'I' was added, making the monogram V.R.I. to signify 'Imperatrix.

If one looks at the Sovereign's monogram on old letter boxes and the like, the initials are surmounted by a crown - there can be different styles of crown - and betwixt the initals are Roman Numerals to differentiate between Monarchs of the same name, e.g. G-V-R. or G-VI-R. E.VII.R. and E.VIII.R. etc.

The term 'Majesty' can ONLY be accorded a male Monarch; a female Monarch; and the wife of a a male Monarch. I have deliberately omitted using the words King and Queen at this stage.

A female Monarch's husband is entitled both 'Royal Highness' and 'Prince'.... e.g. Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert was Prince Consort, as is Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh to Queen Elizabeth II. Neither could/can be referred to as 'King' or 'Majesty'.

Conversely however, Alexandra, the wife of EdwardVII (r. 1901-10), Mary, wife of GeorgeV (r. 1910-36) and Elizabeth, wife of George VI (r. 1936-52) all became Queens by marriage and therefore accorded 'Her/Your Majesty' by title of address.

Edward VIII (r. Jan -Dec 1936) The Prince of Wales who automatically became King the moment his father George V died, but abdicated before his coronation - his successor being his younger brother Albert (George VI) on 11th December 1936.

To conclude, a 20th century knife of unknown date of manufacture and stamped simply 'Cutlers to His Majesty', could apply to any King mentioned above.

'Cutlers to Their Majesties' could equally apply - except in the case of EdwardVIII who wasn't married until after his abdication and no longer King. It certainly couldn't apply to Victoria and Albert for the reasons I've already mentioned.

Invariably we think of Cutlers to HER Majesty as implyng Queen Victioria, but technically, if one of the 20th century Queens were to have issued a Royal Warrant to a cutlery firm e..g. Queen Mary in 1926 say, that firm would have been entitled to proclaim 'Cutlers to HER Majesty' on their letter-heads and elsewhere - even though King George V was the Monarch.

Tom
    Last edited by OWDTOM; 13-10-09 at 03:58 PM.

Tom, Thanks for the clarification. The question that I am trying to answer is that if a 20th century knife is stamped "G crown R", could that Monarch be George V or George VI. In the case of Joseph Rodgers and Sons, I'm attempting to find out if a Royal Warrant was issued by George VI. I have written to the Royal Warrant Holders Association, but with no reply so far.

Joe
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

They are made by John Yeomans Cowlishaw in 1898 and 1921 respectively. In mother of pearl and silver. The approximate size is 9-9,5 cm.

Thread Information