Page 38 of 272 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Re: Vintage Sheffield folder's (pic heavy !)

I really like champagne knives, i have an exact one like that but with a hook on it too.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wellington03 View Post
    Thats a great little knife Dave, I do like it a lot !. Thomas Turner & Co made some fabulous knives.

In 1921 Ernest Mills and his Dad Willis left the firm, being sacked due to no work. They took many patterns with them from Turners. here is a pic showing the Mills version ( exactly the same bar the bail) as Davids 3" TT champaign knife, the pattern number top left

Mick
    Brilliant info Mick, thanks for sharing.

Here's another champagne knife, Taylor eye witness, I love that mr Gray had his middle initial included, very victorian.

One for RodgersLad, had some wear but the scales are beautifull, brass liners, 3 inches long, got this off an old girl who was selling some of her late husbands bits and bobs, it had been his favourite and I had to promise it was going to a good home. Now it's one of my grandsons favourites.

OIL THE JOINTS KEEP THE FAITH

Great knives zorro!

I will put up my champagne knife soon. Yours are great and i really like the scales on that JR too. That one is probably a bit later, maybe 1950/60's?

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by RodgersLad View Post
    Great knives zorro!

I will put up my champagne knife soon. Yours are great and i really like the scales on that JR too. That one is probably a bit later, maybe 1950/60's?
    I've no way of telling, gut feeling says maybe a little earlier? Mick's the man, perhaps he has an idea?

This one was a puzzle I did manage to solve, or rather a guy in the USA came up with the information. Pretty sure it was made in Sheffield, the tang stamp had me scratching my head for a while though.....

This is the info I got from an American who collects old woodworking tools:-

[Charles] Nurse and Co. was a [woodworking] plane and toolmaker, and tool dealer. According to W.L. Goodman, British Planemakers (3rd ed. 1993), the company began in Maidstone England in the 1840's, and moved to London around 1887. They had several addresses, including 182-184 Walworth Road (1887-1908, and again at 181-183 Walworth Road from 1909-1937. The firm was taken over by A.B. Salmen's Successors, Ltd. in 1937. I have several of their catalogues (1891, 1907 and 1935) but unfortunately none show pocket or other knives, with the exception of a wood carving knife. While they did in fact manufacture planes and some other tools, I think that more frequently they probably marked items made by others. That was probably the case with this knife.I

Thats why I love old knives.

Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post

Here's another champagne knife, Taylor eye witness, I love that mr Gray had his middle initial included, very victorian.

Another nice example Dave, a very similar knife, but this time by made by a different maker, and the knife has a gaiter/glove hook instead of a pen blade. These knives are made to a common Sheffield pattern, allowing the fitting of interchangeable parts. The maker/cutler could go to a supplying firm such as H Innocent or Bowlers and buy parts off the peg.

Agree with Andy on the little J Rodgers 1950s-60s.

You have done your homework on the C NURSE & Co Jack knife, looks Sheffield made to me.

Thanks for showing

Mick
    Last edited by wellington03; 02-08-08 at 11:25 PM.

The main reason i say 50-60's is ive seen 20/30 knives with marks like that on JR's and they have all been either stag scaled, MOP or bakelite. Ive never seen one with ivory and this is probably because ivory was banned in 1947 and so these are later.

Still very high quality but once rodgers started marking the knives with these marks, the cutlers to his... and no6 norfolk st... werent seen anymore. I think they really stopped these marks in around 1945. I would actually like to say your knife is 50's now but i can't say for definate, just a feeling.

I can tell just from looking at that knife that the snap on the blades is superb right?

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by RodgersLad View Post
    The main reason i say 50-60's is ive seen 20/30 knives with marks like that on JR's and they have all been either stag scaled, MOP or bakelite. Ive never seen one with ivory and this is probably because ivory was banned in 1947 and so these are later.

Still very high quality but once rodgers started marking the knives with these marks, the cutlers to his... and no6 norfolk st... werent seen anymore. I think they really stopped these marks in around 1945. I would actually like to say your knife is 50's now but i can't say for definate, just a feeling.

I can tell just from looking at that knife that the snap on the blades is superb right?
    Snaps like a crocodile on both blades, in and out!

I can't fault your dating young man, that's good enough for me.

This is less than 2 inches long closed, but for me it has a big grin factor. Richards lamp post, so pre 70's?

Just been looking at a report of Rodgers output from 1901 to1907, they got through 15 tons of ivory per year!!

Zorro,

yes, i would imagine most of this was used in their table/dessert knives. Its a beautiful material, shame about where it has to come from though.

Speaking of how good ivory looks.....

Great escape knife. Is it possible that the design of the knife was registered much earlier than the date this one was made? The date for the British Registration number is 1901 acccording to my source on reg nos...

http://www.antique-marks.com/antique-marks.html

I showed this ivory-scaled Rodgers knife before but Andy may have missed it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are some Rodgers related items I think the catalogue pages are pre WW1but maybe you can help me with them.

Last edited by Smiling-Knife; 03-08-08 at 07:47 PM.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Post Re: Vintage Sheffield folder's (pic heavy !)

Thanks for all the great pics and info Steve, the antique-marks link is very handy to know about, cheers.

Just like to add a few pics of my remaining horsemans knife

FORD & MEDLEY SHEFFIELD ENGLAND 3 Sportsman Circa 1895

This item my fourth from the Ford and Medley showroom is a beautiful example of this type of knife On the top are a Sheepfoot master and a Pen. Underneath, behind the stone hook are a Corkscrew and a Leather Punch. Notched for nut cracking. N.S. Crest shield and a Bail. Off-set iron bolsters. Tweezers and pick are present behind the great checkered Horn scales. Divider extends to form a screwdriver. Crocus polished.

The F & M showroom 4 ( the bottom 3 are shown earlier in this thread )

Mick
    Last edited by wellington03; 04-08-08 at 05:20 PM.

A pic of the Rodger's escape knife appears in Ron Flook's book. He attributes the pattern to the Victorian period. This is consistent with the registration number on the handle circa 1900-01. Later versions also included saw blades.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Mick, that is another beautiful horseman's knife. The checked horn scales are fantastic. Do you have a display for your knives? Thanks again.

This example was made by J. Milner.

s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling-Knife View Post
    A pic of the Rodger's escape knife appears in Ron Flook's book. He attributes the pattern to the Victorian period. This is consistent with the registration number on the handle circa 1900-01. Later versions also included saw blades.
    The escape knife was definately being sold up to 1910 as i have a catalogue from that year with it in and markings for cutlers to HIS majesty showing it was being produced after 1901.

I was told my knife was made between 1910 and 1915 but i'm not sure. I'd like to get to bottom of it. If its one of the later 1940's ones, it must have belonged to a member of the OSS.
    Last edited by RodgersLad; 06-08-08 at 10:56 AM.

"I was told my knife was made between 1910 and 1915 but i'm not sure. I'd like to get to bottom of it."

It is possible. The registration number only indicates when the pattern was first registered. Your knife could be made sometime thereafter.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Thread Information