Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I had a dream . . .

Colin made Bainite.

I haven't been sleeping that well - I have been dozing and having vivid dreams that seem quite real.

In amongst stressful dreams about old girlfriends, I met up with Colin and Owen. When we get together, usually a long drive home from some knife related event, someone (usually Colin) makes some bold statement, someone else (has been me maybe too often in the past) challenges the statement implying it's total tosh (I am a skeptic), and then the other person is left to mediate until we eventually all agree a solution.

In this case it was at the door to Owen's workshop. Colin presented a large blade blank for a cutting knife and pronounced it to have a bainite back. In my skeptic way, I asked how he had achieved it. Colin said he quenched as normal then quickly plunged it into a hot oil bath at the correct temperature for a couple of hours. I pointed out this wasn't correct - he should have quenched into the hot medium, otherwise martensite would surly form.
    At this point Owen produces an Ames portable hardness tester. (It looked just like the one I failed to get recently on ebay. I now suspected that Owen was 'Bidder 3' and I realised the depth of my regret and vowed to bid more next time.) He tested the blade and decided that it did indeed display some of the non-destructively measurable properties of Bainite. How?
    So, characteristic to real life, we discussed the issue. Eventually we decided that when you quench, you don't get martensite immediately. It takes a while (longer than seconds but not minutes) for the martensite to form. While forming, the meta-stable martensite displays properties of Austenite (non-mag). So we agreed that it must be a property of meta-stable martensite that it's fate is not determined, and that if it is quickly heated back up to an appropriate temp then there is still an opportunity for Bainite for form.

So, that was a long way of asking . . . . what do you think? Can you get Bainite from metastable martensite (i.e. from material quenched below martensite start but re-heated quickly to back above). I'm not expecting 100% bainite - but can you get some and therefore prove my dream-boy Colin right?
    Last edited by jhobson; 14-06-08 at 09:19 AM.

banned

Re: I had a dream . . .

if you're not sleeping properly & dreaming about Colin, then I really suggest you give therapy a go. Either that, or work out what your dress size is

and if you are dreaming about old girlfriends, just keep your fingers crossed you aren't saying their name in your sleep. Women store these things and know the right times to use them (you can ask me in person how I know that )

banned

Time to check emmissions / gas levels in the workshop?

banned

Quote Originally Posted by jhobson View Post
    . . . . what do you think? Can you get Bainite from metastable martensite (i.e. from material quenched below martensite start but re-heated quickly to back above). I'm not expecting 100% bainite - but can you get some and therefore prove my dream-boy Colin right?
    of course, your dream boy (you're weird) may have an idea, but what is the best way to know for sure?

YAH! DO IT!!

Maker

Colin made Bainite.

I haven't been sleeping that well - I have been dozing and having vivid dreams that seem quite real.

In amongst stressful dreams about old girlfriends, I met up with Colin and Owen. When we get together, usually a long drive home from some knife related event, someone (usually Colin) makes some bold statement, someone else (has been me maybe too often in the past) challenges the statement implying it's total tosh (I am a skeptic), and then the other person is left to mediate until we eventually all agree a solution.

In this case it was at the door to Owen's workshop. Colin presented a large blade blank for a cutting knife and pronounced it to have a bainite back. In my skeptic way, I asked how he had achieved it. Colin said he quenched as normal then quickly plunged it into a hot oil bath at the correct temperature for a couple of hours. I pointed out this wasn't correct - he should have quenched into the hot medium, otherwise martensite would surly form.
    At this point Owen produces an Ames portable hardness tester. (It looked just like the one I failed to get recently on ebay. I now suspected that Owen was 'Bidder 3' and I realised the depth of my regret and vowed to bid more next time.) He tested the blade and decided that it did indeed display some of the non-destructively measurable properties of Bainite. How?
    So, characteristic to real life, we discussed the issue. Eventually we decided that when you quench, you don't get martensite immediately. It takes a while (longer than seconds but not minutes) for the martensite to form. While forming, the meta-stable martensite displays properties of Austenite (non-mag). So we agreed that it must be a property of meta-stable martensite that it's fate is not determined, and that if it is quickly heated back up to an appropriate temp then there is still an opportunity for Bainite for form.

So, that was a long way of asking . . . . what do you think? Can you get Bainite from metastable martensite (i.e. from material quenched below martensite start but re-heated quickly to back above). I'm not expecting 100% bainite - but can you get some and therefore prove my dream-boy Colin right?
    sounds just like real life Jack (are you sure it was a dream ? was it your dream? not colins or mine?) I didnt bid on the hardness tester though .
    I play this kind of shite over in my mind ,you are not alone .
    Last edited by owen bush; 14-06-08 at 10:27 AM.
    please email me if you want to contact me ,my PM box just gets so full .
    owen@owenbush.co.uk

www.owenbush.co.uk

banned

Quote Originally Posted by owen bush View Post
    I play this kind of shite over in my mind ,you are not alone .
    Owen in a dress? Now we're talking!!!

I want nothing further to do with this thread.

You're all too wierd!

Behaving like a child, since 1974

www.robtattooknives.com

Maker

I only wear a dress when pulling lisa Rodgers on a sledge though .
    owen@owenbush.co.uk

www.owenbush.co.uk

banned

Quote Originally Posted by owen bush View Post
    I only wear a dress when pulling lisa Rodgers
    I always figured she was the one that wore the trousers in that relationship

Colin made Bainite.

In amongst stressful dreams about old girlfriends, I met up with Colin and Owen. When we get together.......
    hmmmm.......

Yes

VIP Member

I did suggest to you & Owen that quenching in oil the transfering directly to a pre-heated oven would work, do I win a prize?
    Eric & proud!

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colin KC View Post
    I did suggest to you & Owen that quenching in oil the transfering directly to a pre-heated oven would work, do I win a prize?
    Thats exactly what I do, but not for bainite reaons.
    ...formerley known as "coutel".

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Colin KC View Post
    I hereby present you with the "wild daisy award" for ideas planted outside the box that grow into beautiful flowers (lets ignore all the withered and rotten ones that didnt make it ,cos they dont count).

I now have acess to nearly free 316l tubing in just the rite size, but I am sure that by the time I am free to play again Jack (and dream Colin) will have gotten furthur down the road .

PMC rules UK !!!!!!!
    owen@owenbush.co.uk

www.owenbush.co.uk

Trader

I dunno, you three seem necessary in combination for the upward energetic steps to the next level.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right...

Thread Information