Sheath Tutorial for Axe

I hope that this tutorial will help someone to make an axe sheath.
    Dan, the little fat bear, helped me to put this tutorial together, many thaks to him!

(1) Mark out a template

The first step is to mark out a template in cardboard. Corrugated cardboard is similar to leather in terms of thickness and stiffness and it's easier (and cheaper) to build the template this way.

The Axe head is placed on the cardboard and the outine traced. The axe head is rolled onto the reverse side and the mirror image is also traced. A margin of about 2cm is traced around the outline to provide for the spacers and stitching. A flap is also marked out so that the flap will extend from the top of the inside panel when the sheath is worn with the edge facing forward.

A double belt loop is also marked out. A double loop is preferred to a single loop because it helps stabilise the axe on the hip and prevents the handle flailing about. The belt loop will be sewn half way up the face with the flap and should be large enough for a broad belt.

At this point, you can assemble the sheath with tape and test the fit and alignment.

(2) Transfer the shape to leather

Having traced the outline, also mark the outline of the axe head.

Thick leather was used, as I have nothing else available at the moment.
    It worked OK; the axe needs more support, because the shaft puts more leverage on the blade.

It's sensible to use treated leather, because half-tanned rawhide would shrink in the first rain and constrict around the axe head.

(3) Fold the Leather Around the Head

(4) Trace the Spacer

A spacer is necessary to accomodate the mass of the axe head and to protect the stitching from the blade edge. Use tracing paper to follow the outline already marked in the leather.

One should never throw away bits and pieces of leather; I used them between stitches.

(5) Build a Spacing Wedge

An axe differs from a knife in that it is much thicker at the shaft. It will require a very thick spacer to be built up to match the thickness.
    Using the tracing paper prepare a stack as pictured below. You can always cut away, but not fill gaps, so leave a little excess.

(6) Skive the Wedge

Using a sharp knife, trip the excess around the base of the axe head, leaving a neat, smooth wedge that will not expose gaps.

(7) Mark the Stitching Positions

You need to stitch the belt loop before you close the sheath. Perhaps before you attach the wedge, you should flip the leather over and on the skin side, mark the stitching guidelines with a gouge and mark the position of the belt loop.

Note that the pattern here shows both the stitching outline and decorative gouges. You won't be stitching along all these lines.

( Attach the Belt Loop

Mark a series of holes with a spacer wheel and use a punch or sharp drill to make a series of equidistant holes.

Attach the belt loop, using a strong double running stitch.

(9) Stitch the Outer Seam

Using the same technique as above, stich the outer seam that should run along the bottom and the edge of the head. Obviously leave space for the handle and for the head to emerge from the top.

The bottom stitches were a bit difficult to sew because of the thickness, but I used dremel to make the holes. In the end it was quite easy. I glued everything in place before sewing, this helps a lot while stitching.

(10) The (Almost) Finished Product

I haven't decided how to finish the "locking system". Has anyone got any ideas?

Juha
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to die.
    My word is my bond.
    If it doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell!!

VIP Member

Re: Sheath Tutorial for Axe

Nice tutorial! I'm referring to the self-explanatory pics, not the text.

I have a few questions of my own: Is the seam at the edge double-stitched? Is the split in the spacer for drainage or so that you can use two straight strips of scrap leather? How does it hang (shaft foreward of backward)?

With regards to your question, I guess I'd either use a press stud or a toggle of some sort

"Small, fat bear" All images and text ©. All rights reserved. ZDP-189 on Slingshotforum.com

Absolutely super work and great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share it!
    Hoodoo

Cache

VIP Member

Lightbulb Re: Sheath Tutorial for Axe

Aside from the rather obvious press-stud closure, have you considered either of these two ideas, Juha?

"Small, fat bear" All images and text ©. All rights reserved. ZDP-189 on Slingshotforum.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189
    Nice tutorial! I'm referring to the self-explanatory pics, not the text.

I have a few questions of my own: Is the seam at the edge double-stitched? Is the split in the spacer for drainage or so that you can use two straight strips of scrap leather? How does it hang (shaft foreward of backward)?

With regards to your question, I guess I'd either use a press stud or a toggle of some sort
    The seam at the edge is single one. :o I wanted to make it double but forgot when measuring... :o The other "line" near the seam is now "decoration".

The split is to sure the drainage, the sheath is quite open but to make sure... plus this way I can use the little pieces of leather and I dont have to cut bigger piece.

One can carry it both ways, shaft forewards of backwards, for me it's better to carry it shaft backwards on my right side. Plus the hagger allows to hang it to a peg or similar while in camp.

I have been thinking to make a peg type for closing the flap. This way there are no pieces that cant be repaired in woods or in hurry or...

Juha
    My word is my bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo
    Absolutely super work and great tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share it!
    This one was easy for me. I made the sheath, drank some beer and took the pictures. Dan wrote the text. I'm such a dumb a$$ with computers...

Juha
    My word is my bond.

Fantastic work Juha/Dan !

I thought an axe sheath was much much more difficult to make.
    ....... I like this little axe too

Stéph

VIP Member

Great work!

I'm not keen on the toggle fasteners because they tend to be such a pig to force through, but the tab in loop closure is a nice one. I'd forgotten about that design

Otherwise, press stud (easy to fit), Sam Browne stud (also quite easy), roll buttons, lace...

Don't forget to finish your edges!

I'll move this to the tutorials section in a day or so.
    Peter

ethics (Noun, pl)
    1. a code of behaviour, esp. of a particular group, profession, or individual: business ethics
    2. the moral fitness of a decision, course of action, etc.

I think I shall make a peg system with fire starter rod. This way it will serve me better.
    What is the cheapest place to order those firestarters?

Juha
    My word is my bond.

do you have any pictures of the finished product by any chance?

I'd be interested to know what axe it is too, looks like one of those finnish kirves type?

Thread Information