Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member

Re: I see trouble ahead after teenager's murder.

I know but I fear that the current government isn't big into giving out new freedoms, particularly in relation to such unpopular things as knives.

The idea of a permit for carry does have some appeal but I could see many ways in which it could just be used as a stick to beat 'us' with (on the assumption we'd all qualify for permits). The first thing that springs to mind is the immediate suspicion that could be focused on permit holders when anybody commits a crime involving a sharp item. Consider a situation in which a crime was comitted with a knife by someone without a permit. Chances are one of the first things to happen would be all the permit owners in the vicinity would have to provide information on their location and maybe surrender their tools for tests. I think quite a few problems with the permit idea were aired in this thread.

I'm not sure what good it will do, but my local MP and the Home Secratary will both be recieving letters tomorrow.

:cool:
    "By the sacred jockstrap of Robert E. Howard ! You'll pay for that Hellspawn !!""

Ok I've gone away, calmed down and cooled down. Sorry for Kicking off.

I must admitt i was upset and angry at the way this Thread looked and still may go.

I am still finding it hard to accept the non locking case law locking thing as the legeslation behind the law (i read it here somewhere) saw locks as a safety device and acceptable.

The threat of not being able to have a 3" slipjoint was just to much (especially after so much thought and concideration, not to mention the anticipation of "THE PENKNIFE" )and i snapped and started typing frantically.

It just came as a big blow. IT still might.

I dont Know that much about politics. I've avoided it most of my life. Never Voted, never even put myself on the electoral roll. I've never realy trusted politicians.

My problem is i am not that old (or intelegent, Notice tht my vocab gets more insulting as i argue more) and i do have the odd impetuous outbursts sometimes. Its been a long hard Day.

This may have Also upset me as i have been designing my own 3" folder that doesnt lock but it also can't fold on your fingers, with some other realy cool bit thrown in for good measure. I decided that i would have to make this myself, for myself and keep it a close guarded secret with the people i feel that can be trusted with it, as cant even trust that it wont be misused. I chose not to even discuss it here on B.B as i feel that if it was made or coppied and mass produced it would change the Law and we would not be trusted with anything. There are people who come here from time to time with undesirable motives.

I'm interested in finding out more of the Facts before I write a letter ( I already did one but it doen't seem right to me yet. I want it to count. Not be taken in the wrong way.

Cheers,

Raoul

Ok, maybe a permit is not the answer. I honestly donít know what is.
    All that Iíll say is that if someone does a crime, especially premeditated,
    then they should pay dearly (as a deterrent to others). It should not matter
    what type of knife is used as it becomes a weapon once it is used in an
    illegal manner.

banned

As an individual voter and concerned 'subject', I have sent an e-mail to my local MP expressing my concerns on the matter. I made a point of not bringing BB into the open. It would only cloud the issue.

Mirage, these are some excellent resources, thank you very much. My letters will be in the post tomorrow

Until those in power wake up and realise that it is the bad behaviour that is the root of the problem and stop criminalizing everyday items we will continue to see these ridiculous bans.

The hard-core criminals will continue to use their guns and other dangerous weapons while the amateur criminals will adapt other every day items into weapons…. Traditional walking sticks will be banned in public, replaced with modern lightweight plastic versions with a loop handle so it can’t be used in the manner of a shepherd’s crook and a rubber foot the size of a tennis ball to prevent stabbing injuries. Trekking poles would be banned within the town and city, as would golf clubs and skiing poles.

Those evil things that are a constant danger on the streets when carried by women or other short people and threaten to poke your eye out will be banned…yes umbrellas
    (I personally would not be seen dead with one…I wear one of my Akubra bush hats when it rains).

Then there will be a ban on belts with heavy buckles and those chains that seem fashionable to attach your wallet to belt.

Pens and pencils will be made with a special collar so that they can’t penetrate deeper than 1cm.

Where will it all end????????????????

I just read on one of the headlines in the paper here that a 17 year old boy has been murdered by his best mate.

He and his mate had been playing some kind of computergame that involves dissembowling your enemies.... so he though he would try with a meat cleaver.

It worked. I think that this was in Norway in the areas populated by refugees... I could be wrong. If the mods or admin guys think that this should be removed due to lack of substanciated facts then please feel free to do so.

It is not just england and the question could be asked about the banning of games and other media that publisise and glamourise violence, killing and mass murder. Some peoples are more susceptable to this interfering with the way they think.

As i said, please remove this if you think it inappropriate.
    Dave
    Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its ways or live a lie.~ Miyamoto Musashi.

The path to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant~ Musashi

The man who,lives with no forgiveness in his heart is really already dead. ~ Nakayama

Dave,

Sounds like you're referring to the Manhunt murder.

Happened in Leicester. I believe the victim was 14 and the perpetrator 17. Does that sound right?

I reckon that there's more likely to be a link between a computer game and violence than the carrying or availablity of knives, since, as Ophidian said, it is behaviour, not objects, that is the problem. Experts have said that violent behaviour is morelikely to be fostered by experience of real violence, rather than simulated.

The effect of films is supposedly lesser due to the fact that it is not interactive.

I believe that the US army used a computer game to desensitise troops from the effects of killing. No reason it wouldn't work on kids.
    "...a knife can be used to sustain life or to kill. Or to peel the fruit of the tree of knowledge. The invention of the knife let our ancestors change nature and their destinies, and thus made moral choices both necessary and possible.

And there, more than in their utility for good or ill, or even in the beauty of well-worked steel and wood, lies the fascination of knives."

-- James K. Mattis

Administrator

Letter to MP sent.

Ditto! Btw, If you are writing to your MP don't just tell them want you think, ask them to do something; "Anything you could do to bring these concerns to the home secretary's attention would be appreciated" or similar; they could write to Mr Blunkett, or even raise the matter in the house. Make them work for you!

Letter sent.

crime is crime, wether you use a fist, broom, milk bottle, knife or a machinegun. the idea that banning knives will stop knife crime is laughable. banning guns didnt stop gun crime.

video games do not cause violent behaviour, in fact they probably stop it. games are an outlet, a fantasy world where you can let out bad feelings in a safe enviroment or just be entertained.
    if you banned all violence in entertainment you would just drive it underground and create a sub culture like germany.

sure, british society is getting more violent, but thats more to do with a lack of decent fathers in the household, poor education system and a lack of police.

how many of you would go to the police with a problem? around here in manchester we generally mistrust, avoid the police and sort things out ourselves. thats why violent crime is on the rise i think.

this kid that stabbed the other didnt turn to anyone for help or advice. instead he went to his school with a weapon to sort his problems out. a person with that kind of personality would have used anything available to do harm to the other kid.

Write to the home secretary and your MP and say just that! Power to the people!

Letters sent!!

Shaun
    He jests at scars that never felt a wound
    Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet

Thread Information