jack knife makers mark? cello/gutitar?

Please can someone help with a makers mark (?) that has got me curious?

I have accumulated a few british army jack knives with marlin spikes over the years. The latest one yesterday for 50p, suffering from surface rust, pitting and grips painted red.

This verson has the bottle opener on the bottom of the tin opening blade and the grips are bakerlite along the whole of the handle (some others have slightly shorter bakerlite grips).

I have cleaned it up and the following marks are in the blades :-

MAIN BLADE - nothing at all
    TIN OPENER - An mod arrow over what I can best describe as a logo of a guitar or perhaps cello. At the base of the blade in small block caps what looks like G.IBER??&SONS over what i think is SHEFFIED but this is not fully in view. No date mark. Any information appreciated.

I have a feeling I might be just about to start collecting these knives semi seriously so if anyone could direct me to a suitable reference book I would be very grateful.

I am a first time poster so apologies if my protocol is inappropriate or this is not the best forum for this query.

Many thanks in ancipatation

Harry

Account Closed

Re: jack knife makers mark? cello/gutitar?

Hi and welcome Harry.

Ibbersons are one of the great names of Sheffield cutlery manufacture, founded back in 1700 and still going today, at least as a brand name.

I can't help you with any more info but I'm moving this down to the guys who can.

Follow the link to the experts.

Danzo

Hi and welcome.

Ron Flook's British and Commonwealth Military Knives book is a great reference for military knife collector's. The violin was the trademark of G. Ibberson of Sheffield. From your description, you have a standard government issue army knife. I believe the handle is made from a synthetic material called Bexoid. The bottle opener first appeared on the can opener attachment in 1945. The war-time knives usually had the date stamped on them. Based on these two characterisitics yours might be slightly post WWII. Please show a photo if you can. Thanks.
    Last edited by Smiling-Knife; 25-08-08 at 05:01 PM.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Maker

And the Cello/Guitar you speak of is actually a Violin

Account Closed

Crikey Steve, you managed to provide all that info in the time it took for me to move the thread!

Danzo

Had it all in my short-term memory as I am working on organising my military folders collection.
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling-Knife View Post
    Had it all in my short-term memory as I am working on organising my military folders collection.
    I can imagine that must be a bit like the last scenes of Raiders of the Lost Ark.....

Danzo

Dear Steve
    Many thanks for the info, very prompt and fits in with facts and other knives I have (or had and lost in the woods as a boy).
    I have often wondered when the bottle opener came in - I did have one with a bottle opener dated 46 so that makes perfect sense.
    I had seen Flook mentioned on other threads but wasn't sure jack knives were covered therein. I wil get a copy
    I will see if I can provide photo, but it is pretty battered (grips scored, no loop and pitted due to rust) and I am not sure the stamped text will be legible.
    Cheers
    Harry

Hi Harry. You're welcome. Flook's book does cover folding knives. I like that it includes other commonwealth countries as well as GB. It is the only book specific to military knives that I have so i can't comment on how it compares with others. Cheers, Steve
    s-k
    Rust Never Sleeps

Thread Information