Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frenchburg, Kentucky
    Age
    64
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Mini Hydraulic Press

    Here's a few pictures of a small hydraulic forging press I built based on a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. It was inspired by a fellow member of Don Fogg's Bladesmith Forum. A few of us have built our versions of the original in the past couple of months. I finished miine up last Friday then spent a pleasant few hours Saturday squishing a billet of 1084 and 15n20. Works great and saves my old shoulder.








  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frenchburg, Kentucky
    Age
    64
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Whoops! Maybe I CAN'T post pictures?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frenchburg, Kentucky
    Age
    64
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Oh well, here's the Photobucket link instead http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...20first%20run/

  4. #4
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Devon
    Posts
    1,681
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kelley View Post
    Here's a few pictures of a small hydraulic forging press I built based on a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. It was inspired by a fellow member of Don Fogg's Bladesmith Forum. A few of us have built our versions of the original in the past couple of months. I finished miine up last Friday then spent a pleasant few hours Saturday squishing a billet of 1084 and 15n20. Works great and saves my old shoulder.







    or maybe you just clicked the wrong link in photobucket (you need to use the IMG code one )
    Last edited by Bikething; 25-08-08 at 11:46 PM.
    oops! i think i just bought another one !

    Serrata Magnet
    Badged member of the Guycep Owners Club
    NEXUS collector !

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frenchburg, Kentucky
    Age
    64
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Thanks for correcting my mistake. Looks like I fumbled this one.

    K

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    香港 H.K
    Posts
    16,917
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Thanks! That looks like the easiest implementation yet.

    "Small, fat bear" All images and text . All rights reserved. ZDP-189 on Slingshotforum.com

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark Fyn
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,968
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    looks nice

    Daniel CL.
    Daniel Claville

    Flames and Fire is forever my Desire, And my Desire shall bend the will of Steel

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mombasa
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,567
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Great idea What speed does the ram travel at and what size compressor / air flow do you need? Sorry for the questions but I've just seen a 20 ton air jack for sale and fancy having a go at making one myself

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frenchburg, Kentucky
    Age
    64
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisu View Post
    Great idea What speed does the ram travel at and what size compressor / air flow do you need? Sorry for the questions but I've just seen a 20 ton air jack for sale and fancy having a go at making one myself
    I power this little press with a 5 hp 26 gallon Sears Craftsman air compressor. It's rated at 9.4 cfm at 40 psi and 7.1 at 90 psi. At the rated 120 psi of the Harbor Freight jack I would imagine it passes around 5 cfm. The ram speed is sufficient to get 5 or 6 good squeezes in with each heat. It helps to adjust the dies so they just barely clear the work to save both air and heat. Judging from the experience of the handful of us who have built this project, any compressor capable of supplying at least 4 cfm would be sufficient to the purpose. Keep in mind this machine is not a replacement for a full sized hydraulic press. As long as you keep billet size down to an inch or so thick and maybe 1.5" wide it will work great.

  10. #10
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kent, Europe
    Posts
    26,088
    Rep Power
    47
    Eric & proud!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frenchburg, Kentucky
    Age
    64
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Yep! That's T.A. Toler, the guy that inspired the rest of us to build our versions of his oiriginal machine. He has two or three other videos of the press in action on YouTube as well.

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kent, Europe
    Posts
    26,088
    Rep Power
    47

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Yup, it's been on my to do list since I saw it on Dons
    Eric & proud!

  13. #13
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    london
    Posts
    7,099
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    squishtastic
    love the size of them bolts/nuts/washers
    hmm .. i have some Whitworth taps about the 1" mark falling about somewhere
    Last edited by etorix; 26-08-08 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Whitworth
    in my dream i had a new knife .. so i put it under my pillow for when i awoke ..

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mombasa
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,567
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kelley View Post
    I power this little press with a 5 hp 26 gallon Sears Craftsman air compressor. It's rated at 9.4 cfm at 40 psi and 7.1 at 90 psi. At the rated 120 psi of the Harbor Freight jack I would imagine it passes around 5 cfm. The ram speed is sufficient to get 5 or 6 good squeezes in with each heat. It helps to adjust the dies so they just barely clear the work to save both air and heat. Judging from the experience of the handful of us who have built this project, any compressor capable of supplying at least 4 cfm would be sufficient to the purpose. Keep in mind this machine is not a replacement for a full sized hydraulic press. As long as you keep billet size down to an inch or so thick and maybe 1.5" wide it will work great.
    Thanks Ken

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Mini Hydraulic Press

    I feel another project coming on,

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-TON-AIR-HYD...d=p3286.c0.m14

    so much to do so little time

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •