Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CSI Serrata: The Trial Continues

Well 'oomans, you mite rekall that we put one of zakkerty's serrata on trial in a Badger Kourt, charged wiv maskeradin' as a kutter wen it was, as we all knows, a mere ingot. Obviously, it was finded gilty.

The kase 'as gone to appeel, an' the forensik evidens is now bein' prepared at the badgerkadamy reddy for konfirmin' the gilty verdikt. As we speeks, the ej of the serrata is beein' subjekted to laser skannin' conformal mikroskopy an' dijital tomograffy- which is a posh way of sayin' we's peekin' at it wiv the world's most powerful maggernifyin' glass an chekkin' 'ow the sharp the ej is.

Watch this spase...
    Darth Badger
    CEO - Chief Exkavatin' Officer
    Badger Korporashun

www.badgercorporation.com
    www.sheffieldknife.co.uk

Re: CSI Serrata: The Trial Continues

Rite, 'oomans, fresh frum the labs, 'ere is the evidens.

Ex'ibit D, abuv, is a konfokal skannin' mikrograf of a ikkle sekshun of the Zakkerty serrata kurrently in our kustody. As even a 'ooman, kan see, the 'igh magnifikashun - far beyond the realms of ordinary optikal mikroskopy and well into SEM territory, shows the ikkle kolumnar grains along the ej of the kutter. 'em is sum 45 mikrons long, an' about 100 mikrons apart, an' 'em wears kwite differently to the remainder of the blade. We suspekts the bulk of the blade is ekwi-axed grains for tuffness, wiv just the ej chilled to mek a 'ard, toofy ej...

We finks the kase is proven. Appeal dismissed.
    Darth Badger
    Badger Korporashun

www.sheffieldknife.co.uk

Trader

That picture looks nice and interesting but I have really no idea what it is as I don't understand what you wrote which is a shame, as I'm sure it could add a lot of value.

I'm guessing it has something to do with a serrata.

Can you post a picture of whatever the pretty rainbow thing is about other knife steels such as an O1 blade, D2, etc.

VIP Member

Repped you but failed to Stew. Must spread it around.

"Small, fat bear" All images and text . All rights reserved. ZDP-189 on Slingshotforum.com

The ej profile at the point shown by the red slice is shown below.

Wiv the imaj skanned in to the pootah, us kan 'kut' an' profile the ej in virtual space...
    Darth Badger
    Badger Korporashun

www.sheffieldknife.co.uk

Nice work there Mr Stripey

Although I am a bit flummoxed by the mass of numbers at one end of the graph.

Seeing the crystals brought this to mind.

Tant
    If I want something blunt I use a spoon

I know it is true , I saw it on the internet.

oh indeedy ! Lots of the maffs used in metallurgy komes from geoloji...
    Darth Badger
    Badger Korporashun

www.sheffieldknife.co.uk

Account Closed

Mr Badger, for those members unfamiliar with konfokal skannin' mikrografing you might want to explain which colour is the sharp bit in the picture.

Just a thought.

Danzo

Well 'oomans, it's like this.

An ordinary mikroskope 'as very ikkle depf of field an' is pretty useless for studyin' the ej of a blade. It simply kan't fokus on it proper. A konfounded laser skannin' skope works more like radar. A laser beam is bounced off the surface of the spesimen, and works out 'ow far away it is. The optiks then fokuses and snaps an individual pixel. The laser moves on - "skans" - one pixel furver away an' repeets the prosess. The imaj is built up, pixel by pixel, an' every ikkle bit of it is in fokus. Whereas an ordinary skope kan't magnify much more than x1000, us kan see stuff at X14,000. Bekos we effectively 'as a 'terrain map' of the spesimen, we kan do all sorts of klever stuff on it. Rotate it, luk at it end on, slise through it, profile it....

In the imaj above, you is lukkin' at a bit of the blade ej about a quarter of a millimeter long, magnified kwite a bit. It isn't smooth. The ikkle lumpy bits is the lejendary mikro-serrashuns wot meks it such a gud kutterfor sum types of material - speshully fibrous stuff like rope.

We mite 'ave a CLSM on show at the Skoff & Badgerkadamy Lektures if Olympus agrees to it leavin' the lab...
    Last edited by meles meles; 08-09-08 at 09:07 PM.
    Darth Badger
    Badger Korporashun

www.sheffieldknife.co.uk

I too am unsure about what you are showing.

My best guess is that your showing is that it actually has a pretty blunt edge, which I'm sure isn't true and is completely beside the point anyway. Almost ANY knife can be sharpened to a silly sharp edge. So showing us how sharp one knife in particular is teaches us nothing.

Or can you lot see something I cant?

Trader

The edge profile shown is measured in microns - thousandths of a milimeter.

The carbides, that give the edge of the Serrata it's 'bite' are about 45 microns across.
    Last edited by herbicide; 08-09-08 at 09:18 PM.
    Magic's simple. A magician's a person who knows slightly more than you. - Nick Steele
    Glow in the dark O-rings

The kutter is sharp. It looks rounded an' lumpy an' unsharp 'kos it is 'ighly magnified. Wot you sees is a 3 dimenshunal image of the very ej. Runnin' along the 'spine', from about 45 mikrons (a mikron is a millionth of a metre) to 90 mikrons, is a small raised part. That, we suspekts, is the end of a kolumnar grain. There's anuvver statin' to rise up, close to the rite paw ej of the imaj.

If you lot komes along to the Skoff, us'll get a 'ooman professor to explain it all.
    Last edited by meles meles; 08-09-08 at 09:18 PM.
    Darth Badger
    Badger Korporashun

www.sheffieldknife.co.uk

VIP Member

... and this rules out the pixie dust?

Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Knife-Man View Post
    I too am unsure about what you are showing.

My best guess is that your showing is that it actually has a pretty blunt edge, which I'm sure isn't true and is completely beside the point anyway. Almost ANY knife can be sharpened to a silly sharp edge. So showing us how sharp one knife in particular is teaches us nothing.

Or can you lot see something I cant?
    I'm the same. I think a number of images need to be seen to see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by meles meles View Post
    The kutter is sharp. It looks rounded an' lumpy an' unsharp 'kos it is 'ighly magnified. Wot you sees is a 3 dimenshunal image of the very ej. Runnin' along the 'spine', from about 45 mikrons (a mikron is a millionth of a metre) to 90 mikrons, is a small raised part. That, we suspekts, is the end of a kolumnar grain. There's anuvver statin' to rise up, close to the rite paw ej of the imaj.
    Do you have an image of something else?

I'm sure to those that look at such images on a daily basis this look's very very very lumpy.

But to myself It's the first one Ive seen and Could be what ALL blades look like .
    In fact IF I was ever to guess I would probably suspect that anything which has been polished (or sharpened) on a stone and would leave grooves such as that.

Thread Information