Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re: Importing knives.

Hello,

I own a fine Benchmade Mini Skirmish knife (pictured below) and I'm thinking of taking it with me to the UK. Is it legal to import this knife? I doubt it's legal to carry, but will it even get through the security check at the airport? Should I inform the airport officials that I'm in possession of this knife, if stored in the registered luggage?

I'm afraid it may fall under the definition of a gravity knife, but on the other hand, if you tighten the screws it won't be possible to open it w/o using your thumb.

What do you think? Safe to take with me or should I just leave it at home?

Re: Bringing a knife to the UK

Nice knife, would be a shame if customs took it.

No they are not illegal to import ( tighten the pivot a lot just in case ).

Only question I have is why you want to bring it with you ?

If you are going walking camping fishing or something similar then you should not have a problem.

Tant
    If I want something blunt I use a spoon

I know it is true , I saw it on the internet.

Two reasons - I really like this knife and I see it kind of like a nice treasure
    The other thing is that I use it as a utility, cutting some cables, sometimes in the kitchen, stuff like that.

I just wanted to have it with me as I'm going to the UK to study and I was uncertain whether I can take it or not. Not to carry, but to have in my room for reasons listed above.

VIP Member

bring a non-locking swiss army knife, leave it in your luggage at the airport, and you won't have to worry.

You can't carry a skirmish without good reason, so it isn't worth the effort IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by chewie View Post
    bring a non-locking swiss army knife, leave it in your luggage at the airport, and you won't have to worry.
    That's what I intentionally planed on doing, but I need to get a nice non-locking pocket knife I wish Benchmade had a knife shorter than 3 inches w/o any locking mechanisms. That'd be great

Any recommendations by the way? I don't need a swiss army knife, I just want a blade + a bottle opener as an option. I'm more into aesthetics though

Account Closed

You can bring the knife, it's legal in the UK.

Maybe best not to carry it, but you can have it with you. You said you'd keep it in your room? Well that's OK.

Danzo

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    Maybe best not to carry it, but you can have it with you. You said you'd keep it in your room? Well that's OK.
    Yeah, but I'm staying in the College, I wonder if it's not considered public place or whatever, since I'm not the possession owner.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by matid View Post
    Yeah, but I'm staying in the College, I wonder if it's not considered public place or whatever, since I'm not the possession owner.
    If your room is where you live and sleep each night, it is a dwelling, and not a public place.

Danzo is quite correct, in that it is perfectly legal to possess, and to have with you in public if you have good reason.

My recommendation to treat yourself to a UK-legal folding pocket knife for everyday carriage is purely pragmatic - you don't want any aggravation with the constabulary or to spoil your visit to Britain by having to explain your possession of a lock knife to a police officer or magistrate, when for a few pounds you can have something almost as useful, almost as aesthetically pleasing and unlikely to produce any 'imperial entanglements'.

I like SAK alox farmers. An alox bantam 1 would do for what you want, or an alox soldier. Or, bring the Benchmade, but be very careful what you do with it.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by matid View Post
    You might want to check on the college's rules too; they can be a bit...odd.

Quote Originally Posted by inncubus View Post
    You might want to check on the college's rules too; they can be a bit...odd.
    yeah the university I was at was freaking over my pocket knife, until I pointed out they couldn't ban knives in halls otherwise we wouldn't have anything to cut our food with!
    A man without a Knife is like a Fish without Water

Trader

I had one landlord that decided to have a little chat

he claimed he'd had a parent one of of the other tennants phone him to complain about me keeping knives in my room. He wouldn't say who had been showing someone round my room without my permission and I got rather annoyed at the invasion of privicy so he quickly gave up.
    WARNING contents of this post may not be consistant with reality
    Please copy and paste the following to taste !,'.()"";:?

Depends how you get yourself and it here.
    Euro tunnel bin all locking knives; Even in luggage...found that out with a new strider PT going in the Bin; They were also real close to binning my UKPK....but they were fine with a Douk Douk...its all about how (non Locking) folders look.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Depends how you get yourself and it here.
    Euro tunnel bin all locking knives; Even in luggage...found that out with a new strider PT going in the Bin; They were also real close to binning my UKPK....but they were fine with a Douk Douk...its all about how (non Locking) folders look.
    Bad news but good information.
    Ruin is the Devil's work, consecutive and slow
    Fail in a moment no man did
    - Gwyneth Jones

Only if it is half an inch long and made out of cotton wool.
    Jeeze the laws in Britain make me sick.
    Better to be looking at it than for it.

Leave it at home.

Thread Information