Thread: Lapin Puukko

Lapin Puukko

Not sure if correct section. If not Mods please move.

Being a newbie to bushcraft, I am looking at buying my first knife and was hoping you guys could give me your opinions.

I have read lots and lots of threads about the frosts mora / clipper knives but frankly I am not too keen on a plastic / rubber handle and would prefer a traditional looking knife even if a bit more expensive.

The knife I am considering is made by Lapin Puukko. I has a blade of 4 1/8", and is 8 1/2" long overall. Apparently it is a stainless steel blade which is about .121" thick and hardened to 59 on the Rockwell C scale and costs 40 euros. I cannot find anymore information than that so if anyone knows what kind of steel it is, etc all info would be very useful.

Is this a good knife suitable for a newbie? Are there any other more traditional looking options you experts would recommend?

Thanks,
    NC

Re: Lapin Puukko

It looks like a good user, very similar to the Isaaki Jarpeneva Puukko I owned.

They are a good working knife and great for carving. I would say that the narrow handles can be a bit of a pain but thats a personal/physiology thing.

Its not a bad price either so I'd say its worth a punt.

Alternatively there are these:

http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop...ather+sheath/#

Or make your own with a kit from Knife-Per or Brisa. Both have full tangs and stick tang kits and are an excellent price, quality and the service is second to none.
    "Don't thee thou me thee thou thissen and see how tha likes thee thouing"

Thread Information