banned

Question Polishing a damascus blade??

A few questions that im not sure about.please guys....

Is it possible to polish a damascus blade?
    if so ,then is the same procedure as a normal blade by using the different grades of sand paper.
    And finally am i right in thinking this is the end result in this thread?
    thanks.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65360

Re: Polishing a damascus blade??

Yes, it's possible to polish damascus in the same way you'd polish any steel, however, the contrast between the layers would be very subtle.

The knife in the thread has been etched, probably with ferric chloride or acid. The etching solution attacks different steels at different rates, leading to hte more visible pattern. Some steels, articularly those rich in chromium or nickel can repel almost all of an etch, leaving shiny bright lines.

So: Yes, it is possible to polish a damascus blade, but taking it to 600-grit and etching it gives a different finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    Legal Disclaimer: if you produce internal gases and follow through with that whilst in your bed, then Britishblades, it's affiliates and employees are not responsible for the hideous results.

Maker

wolf67, the blade you see in that thread mate was indeed mirror polished, pre it's etch... This is in fact is it:

The brighter you get your blade pre-etch, the less work you will need to do to it after it's etch to bring it bright again... The least amount of work after etch is important for me for me as I want it bright, but with as much definition (damascus pattern) as possible... Clear as mud eh?

So, yes, it is possible to polish a damascus blade

Cool Re: Polishing a damascus blade??

beautiful blade (and finished knife!) there stu

john
    see my gunz bonzai and watchez here.
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

banned

Thanks guys,things are much clearer now.
    As JB said thats a wonderful blade

Yes it is possible to polish a damascus blade . However taking it down to a 600 grit and etching it will give you a much better looking finish. I have been told and from my own experience that polishing tends to smear the layers in the damascus and leaves a "cloudy" finish.

banned

good info there I know for next time for my self

Quote Originally Posted by stuart m View Post
    ... The brighter you get your blade pre-etch, the less work you will need to do to it after it's etch to bring it bright again... The least amount of work after etch is important for me for me as I want it bright, but with as much definition (damascus pattern) as possible... So, yes, it is possible to polish a damascus blade
    I second Stu's recommendation. Take the bare blade down to polished/buffed.

The nickel or chromium bearing layers will really stand out after the etch because they are not only resistant to etching from their alloys, but when polished, leave even less of a surface for the acid/salts to grab hold of or react to chemically (less nucleation sites). They tend to remain even brighter then. The plus, it leaves less work to do after the etch.

Now, to put even more spin on this. Try a high layer count blade and polish/buff again after finishing the etch. The pattern becomes three dimensional where the forging is evident.

Japanese swords are technically a laminated type of blade. They are polished. There's a real subtlety to that kind of work as well.
    Last edited by Mike Blue; 10-11-08 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right...

Thread Information