Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: T. Williams,Smithfield, London.

Wow! Thanks Danzo. Rep sent...
    agi idup agi ngelaban

Account Closed

This site, from Harry Wolhuters grandson Kim, gives the whole story in some detail:

http://www.kimwolhuter.com/harry.htm

Buried down in the article is the interesting tale of how he got the original knife:

"One day, when I was in Komatipoort, I visited the shop of a friend, and on the counter was a big Dutch cheese, beside which lay the knife used for cutting it. I picked up the knife and examined it, as I was always interested in sheath knives. This one, I observed, was the famous "Pipe Brand," and far too good a knife to be wasted on cutting! So I removed my own knife from its sheath on my belt, laid it alongside the cheese, and put the "Pipe Brand" knife in its place. This wicked theft was never noticed as the two knives were almost identical in form and size; and my friend never suspected until I told him years later, suggesting that "fair exchange was no robbery."

So basically, he nicked it!

Danzo

Quote Originally Posted by russell white View Post
    hog, i think mike (mmab9) was referring to tom strattons post about mik being a mine of information

russell
    Okay.. peace to all.
    Better to be looking at it than for it.

Thomas Williams was my husband's grandfather. He died in 1917 and his son, also Thomas Williams took over but the business failed in the 1930's. The business was founded in 1765 by Thomas Williams, then Ebenezer Williams, then Thomas Johnson Williams, then another Thomas Johnson Williams 1851 - 1917 and then finally Thomas Johnson Williams born 1906.

We have a copy of their catalogue dated 1900. There is also a copy of a letter from Harry Wolhunter who killed the lion with one of their knives. It was used as a kind of advert.

They didn't just make knives. They were Butchers' Cutler and outfitters. My husband's grandfather was an engineer and patented many items of equipment including the "Silent Sausage Machine" mentioned in the catalogue in the British Library.

Unfortunately, we don't have anything made by the family. Does anyone know how we could go about purchasing such items?

Quote Originally Posted by greg cook View Post
    hi Nicioli,
    I am a collector of T. Williams butchers implements. Knives, cleavers, butchers steels etc.
    I have a little info if you want to get in contact with me.
    regards
    Aussie Greg
    Dear Greg

My husband's grandfather was Thomas Williams. The business was founded by Thomas Williams in 1765 and handed down through the generations via Ebenezer Williams, Thomas Johnson Williams, Thomas Johnson Williams and finally Thomas Johnson Williams born 1906. My husband's grandfather was born in 1851 and died c1917. The business then began to flounder. We have a catalogue dated 1900 but we don't possess anything made by them.

I would be grateful to have any information you have on the family plus can you tell me where I would find items made by them.

Many thanks.

Chrissie

Does this forum have any bounds at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    Thomas Williams was my husband's grandfather. He died in 1917 and his son, also Thomas Williams took over but the business failed in the 1930's. The business was founded in 1765 by Thomas Williams, then Ebenezer Williams, then Thomas Johnson Williams, then another Thomas Johnson Williams 1851 - 1917 and then finally Thomas Johnson Williams born 1906.

We have a copy of their catalogue dated 1900. There is also a copy of a letter from Harry Wolhunter who killed the lion with one of their knives. It was used as a kind of advert.

They didn't just make knives. They were Butchers' Cutler and outfitters. My husband's grandfather was an engineer and patented many items of equipment including the "Silent Sausage Machine" mentioned in the catalogue in the British Library.

Does This Forum have Any bounds at all ?

Unfortunately, we don't have anything made by the family. Does anyone know how we could go about purchasing such items?
    Have a go ! You may well surprise yourself.

Dear Greg

My husband's grandfather was Thomas Williams. The business was founded by Thomas Williams in 1765 and handed down through the generations via Ebenezer Williams, Thomas Johnson Williams, Thomas Johnson Williams and finally Thomas Johnson Williams born 1906. My husband's grandfather was born in 1851 and died c1917. The business then began to flounder. We have a catalogue dated 1900 but we don't possess anything made by them.

I would be grateful to have any information you have on the family plus can you tell me where I would find items made by them.

Many thanks.

Chrissie
    hi chrissie, have sent private email to you giving you my email so you can contact me personally. would like to exchange info on T. Williams. thank you greg

G/morning all,question! did previous message go out?if not why?pls advise. Just new so not sure to the extent of requirements?of forum. regards Graeme.[Belly]

"Some people go through life with their finger upon the switch But there are those who do not know of its existence" QUOTE BY Belly

Hello Chrissie,
    I have a knife made by your husband's family firm.
    The knife blae is approx 6 inches long and engraved with"T.Williams Smithfield, London made" and also engraved with a clay churchwardens pipe.
    Are you interested? Please reply to my email adress- dickthemudengineer@yahoo.co.uk or phone 01787 210761
    Regards
    Dick Morris

I bough this T Williams knife a couple of days ago, from a small antique shop. Can anyone tell me if the handle that's on it would be original by any chance? I have some doubts, it looks a funny shape to me for a butcher's knife, but as I know nothing about it, I thought I'd ask!

The knife has a 10" blade, 16" overall, 1/4" thick blade tapering to about 1mm at the tip, round Oak handle with a through tang, riveted over a washer.

I can take some more pictures if needed. Also, any ideas as to how old it might be?

Thanks. Joel
    The carrying of a pocket knife is a man tradition that should be continued.

My Blog

Knives & Leather work

There is a piece on the William's family in the London Knife Book.

RETDPMSO

Last edited by greg cook; 29-08-10 at 03:44 AM.

I have a 1920s bill head thomas williams 8 west smithfield and 79 charterhouse street london very very nice are you intrested

HI BENAZIZA,
    I AM INTERESTED IN THE BILL HEAD, PLEASE CONTACT ME gruve1955@gmail.com ... THANX GC

>>>>>>>>>>>> WANTED <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

T. WILLIAMS SMITHFIELD 'PIPE' BRAND

BUTCHERS RELATED ITEMS

[ contact greg: gruve1955@gmail.com ]
    Last edited by greg cook; 01-09-12 at 10:17 AM.

Thread Information