Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In car Seatbelt 'knife' and quick break window tool

Hello.

I have one of these currently, which until recently I kept in my car, incase of needing to cut my seat belt / break a window.

The 3 inch blade of the Smith & Wesson 1st Response is designed to make it effective for several emergency procedures. Made from 1/8" thick high carbon stainless, it is heat treated for maximum resistance to breakage as well as edge holding ability. The cutting edge is serrated so that when it is used to cut through seat belt material, canvas, heavy clothing, rope, or light gauge metal, it is more like a razor sharp saw than a knife blade. The end of the blade serves as a screwdriver. The rotating stud on the blade allows fast and smooth right or left handed opening, and the liner lock operates freely to facilitate quick and easy one hand closing as well. The 1st Response can also be used to pry, using the side of the blade. It also features a solid tungsten carbide, spring loaded firing pin to break glass, auto glass, wall board, etc. during emergencies and rescues. This can even be used as a scribe to mark objects for identification purposes. Only 8 inches overall, it is an absolute MUST for emergency and rescue work, and also one of the best small survival tools on the market! This amazing knife performs duties other tool makers haven't even thought of yet! Also includes its own Smith & Wesson 1st Response sheath with belt loop and boot or belt clip, and the weight with the sheath is only 4.6 ounces.
    Are they legal to carry please. They are locking but the blade tip is 'blunt'.

Thanks

Re: In car Seatbelt 'knife' and quick break window tool

It's a bit of a grey area but IMO having a specifically designed rescue knife in a car would constitute a 'good reason'. But as with any potential reason it's impossible to be absolutely definitive.

Easy to argue reasonableness for that when in your car, i would've thought.

Probably best to leave that at home then.
    Thanks

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Easy to argue reasonableness for that when in your car, i would've thought.
    I would have thought having it in the car (and keeping it there)would be OK?
    "There is no old age. There is, as there always was, just you"

I think this one has been discussed a few times before and falls into it being a 'reasonable reason', but verging on 'just in case' which isnt a good reason.

My question about these knives and having them in car, is if its stashed in the glove box its naff all use for your own rescue, so why carry it? If its for someone elses rescue, then doesnt it becoem even more a case of 'just in case'

Rgds

2009 International Diplomat of the Year - according to John N

When I go out walking I carry a folding saw "in case" I see a nice stick to cut for walking stick purposes. As it has a locking blade I sometimes wonder whether this is legal
    I wanted to study history but there's no future in it.
    So that's what an invisible force field looks like !

Cool Re: In car Seatbelt 'knife' and quick break window tool

Quote Originally Posted by jerbal View Post
    When I go out walking I carry a folding saw "in case" I see a nice stick to cut for walking stick purposes. As it has a locking blade I sometimes wonder whether this is legal
    Is there actually such a thing as a universally 'good reason', I dont think so really. Its likely more of a case of circumstances and the officer who finds you with it...along with a whole other bunch of variables So its not worth thinking whats a good reason (not that you are)

Id say the fact its a saw not a knife will help in terms of perception and being out with walking attire, a partner in similar garb and possibly a canine would all hopefully add up to a major attack of commone sense

Rgds

2009 International Diplomat of the Year - according to John N

Maybe, maybe not. The law is vague. Whether you get into trouble would depend on how you are driving, how you are dressed, how you behave, where you are driving, what time you are driving, and what you are driving.

Obviously, it isn't my opinion which matters, but my opinion is that wanting to cut your seatbelts is not a very good reason at all for carrying a knife.

1. If you are in a crash which damages your car or injures you to an extent that you can't simply undo your seatbelt and walk out, then you aren't going to be able to easily use your knife to cut open your seatbelt. Knives for cutting seatbelts tend to be used for cutting OTHER PEOPLE'S seatbelts, where you don't want to lean over them, lest an undeployed airbag kills you, etc.

2. If you are in a crash which damages your car or injures you to an extent that you can't simply undo your seatbelt and walk out, then you shouldn't cut your seatbelt and start squirming out. You may have serious neck injuries, and trying to climb out may cause paralysis.

3. Carrying a knife for a situation like this is much like carrying a knife in case you are attacked, or in case you feel hungry, and buy some fruit which you need to cut. Neither of those are particularly good reasons.

Oh and if you ARE actually driving where it is forseeable that you will need to break your window to escape, such as through creeks, I would suggest that you carry a hammer.

VIP Member

A hammer's actually quite a poor choice; tempered glass is incredibly tough.

The only reason I can see the need to break a window is if you drive into water, as there aren't a lot of other ways out of the car

The hammer causes the glass to shatter. The glass is tough but still brittle. The hammer causes quite a bit more glass to shatter than a little punch. Remember, this is tempered glass we are talking about, not the much tougher laminated windscreen. This is why in buses, there is a little hammer to break the glass for an escape, as opposed to a spring loaded centre punch, or a quirky little knife like that.

I'm actually from Australia. Carrying a hammer could well be justified as an escape tool when driving a 4wd on certain tracks there. The same applies to many places in Africa, Iceland, etc. However, I'm not clear about how many places in the UK would require such precautions.

Maker

Any situation that would lead to a search and discovery of the knife you advised against would also lead to a discovery of the hammer, in the front seat area, in easy reach of the driver.

Unless you are a drive-by carpenter, that is going to cause more questions than a knife clearly designed for vehicle rescue.
    If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it.
    Elmore Leonard

I sew custom nylon stuff, have a look at this thread Or at the Facebook page.

The hammer causes the glass to shatter. The glass is tough but still brittle. The hammer causes quite a bit more glass to shatter than a little punch. Remember, this is tempered glass we are talking about, not the much tougher laminated windscreen.

I'm actually from Australia. Carrying a hammer could well be justified as an escape tool when driving a 4wd on certain tracks there. The same applies to many places in Africa, Iceland, etc. However, I'm not clear about how many places in the UK would require such precautions.
    Last edited by arpoot; 12-01-09 at 03:23 AM.

Carrying a hammer in the front of a car with you will likely get you lifted if the police see it.
    ''Just in case i drive into a river'' is not a valid excuse.

Maker

The 'hammer' in the video you linked also has a knife on the end. More a rescue tool than simply a hammer. I carry a similar design idea in miniature on all my car keys.

http://www.resqme.com/

Very user friendly it is too.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7fy4Jbt_c4s&e

In fact, the same fireman in your video is having a go at the front window in my video
    Last edited by Ropeman; 12-01-09 at 03:27 AM.
    If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it.
    Elmore Leonard

I sew custom nylon stuff, have a look at this thread Or at the Facebook page.

Thread Information