Thread: Khyber Knife

VIP Member

Khyber Knife

This is a knife from the Khyber Pass area of India and Afganistan, Although its classed as a knife, this one has a blade 23 1/2" long and 2" at its widest. The blade is T shaped with the top rib about 1/2" wide. Total length with scabbard is 32 1/2". The handle is two pieces of horn riveted to a flat tang.

Mick.

Re: Khyber Knife

Very nice, I have long wondered about what the Khyber knives looks like, but has never looked at one.

Have you any idea if that is representative for the breed ??
    Best regards

Harry

VIP Member

Harry as far as I know, this is how they are. All with this style handle and a T shaped blade. The size of the blade ranges from 14 - 30". Part of the scabbard is missing here. They are long enough to take the whole blade and handle and are worn thrust through a belt and not fastened in any way.

Mick.

VIP Member

A lot of the information I get about old knives, comes from an excellent book called,
    A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor, In all countries and in all times, Written by George Cameron Stone.
    The book has over 700 pgs and is done alphabetically with black and white drawings.
    For anyone interested, Amazon are showing a few copies, from originals to reprints from the 80's.

Mick.

Thumbs up Re: Khyber Knife

A limited preview of Stone's Glossary is available for viewing online: link. It was an amazing work of scholarship for its time, unlikely to be duplicated.

Edc?
    Better to be looking at it than for it.

That's a very nice example. Thanks for showing.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" Unknown

VIP Member

Nice knife Mick

I've a real soft spot for the Kyber knife and the similar but smaller Persian Kard and Pesh Kabz.

The Cameron Stone book is a great reference, and has a good section on the Kiris

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Maxen View Post
    A lot of the information I get about old knives, comes from an excellent book called,
    A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor, In all countries and in all times, Written by George Cameron Stone.
    The book has over 700 pgs and is done alphabetically with black and white drawings.
    For anyone interested, Amazon are showing a few copies, from originals to reprints from the 80's.

Mick.
    This prompted me to head for Amazon. One of the best 25 I've spent in a long while. It's an excellent one-stop-shop for armsd and armour information. Bit of a bible...

Thanks for the recommendfation Mick - I owe you a beer next time we bump into each other at Owens or somewhere
    This is a white chocolate Magnum, the tastiest ice cream in the world, and it'll blow your sensitive teeth clean out ...

Yes, actually, I am "bovvered".

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Maxen View Post

Mick.
    Yes, I bought my copy in the early 80's. Impressive book, so much information!
    Good advice for anyone interested in ethnic knives.

Thread Information